Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Oh wow. There are a lot of islands for sale. I’d like to own my archipelago…
    Be sure to check their max elevation before buying. They may just be reefs in a decade of two.

Tracy McGrady is selling his Houston, TX home for $8M. It’s a bit much (and I don’t mean the price).

https://www.latimes.com/business/rea...-texas-mansion
    I would consider it but I find the presence of a barbershop to be a deal breaker. I don't want a barbershop in my home.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Be sure to check their max elevation before buying. They may just be reefs in a decade of two.
    This sounds like the voice of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I would consider it but I find the presence of a barbershop to be a deal breaker. I don't want a barbershop in my home.
    Hah hah. We added a barbershop to our house during the pandemic. It’s called the garage and my wife has had a ball giving me a hatchet job with the dog Clippers

Hah hah. We added a barbershop to our house during the pandemic. It’s called the garage and my wife has had a ball giving me a hatchet job with the dog Clippers
    If you paid your wife a nominal fee for the haircut, could you write off the space as a business expense on your taxes? I guess that likely opens the can of worms of her being licensed to be paid to cut hair, but I'm trying here...

And thank you for reminding me that I need an appointment to get my very shaggy 7-year old a haircut. Otherwise I will have to give him a haircut which would involve me using a mixing bowl and cutting around it and him having roughly the same haircut I had as a child in the late 70s/early 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    And thank you for reminding me that I need an appointment to get my very shaggy 7-year old a haircut. Otherwise I will have to give him a haircut which would involve me using a mixing bowl and cutting around it and him having roughly the same haircut I had as a child in the late 70s/early 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Hey, it's worked for George Clooney, for decades!

If you paid your wife a nominal fee for the haircut, could you write off the space as a business expense on your taxes? I guess that likely opens the can of worms of her being licensed to be paid to cut hair, but I'm trying here...

I think DinK is a CPA. DinK - am I missing a tax break?!

How about your own castle on the coast of Maine?

A steal for only $3.8M:

http://realestate.boston.com/luxury/...-escape-maine/

FYI: Brooklin is the home of the Wooden Boat school, if you like beautiful handmade wooden boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    A steal for only $3.8M:

http://realestate.boston.com/luxury/...-escape-maine/

FYI: Brooklin is the home of the Wooden Boat school, if you like beautiful handmade wooden boats.
    I’m a simple man with simple tastes. I just want my own castle and serfdom, archipelago, Wyoming ranch, and maybe a Parisian penthouse. And a lakefront chateau. And I also want to add another story to the Duke basketball museum building with K/Scheyer’s offices that is reserved for my personal use.

Short answer from this accountant - NO.

Longer answer - If I were doing your taxes, I would not write off the use of the space as a business expense for several reasons. The space should be used exclusively for the business - no parking your cars in the garage. Pretty sure the IRS won't consider it a business if she isn't being paid and if she only has one client.

Short answer from this accountant - NO.

Longer answer - If I were doing your taxes, I would not write off the use of the space as a business expense for several reasons. The space should be used exclusively for the business - no parking your cars in the garage. Pretty sure the IRS won't consider it a business if she isn't being paid and if she only has one client.
    So….CNC may have been trying to get me in trouble with the IRS? Interesting. 🤔

So….CNC may have been trying to get me in trouble with the IRS? Interesting. 🤔
    I noted the potential issue of her likely not being a licensed barber/hairdresser. And I would have advised you to pre-clear with your accountant so perhaps you would park the cars outside so the space is being solely used for haircutting. And I'm sure she is being paid by your completion of items on the honey-do list and the general good cheer I'm sure you bring to your life!

Also, from what I hear, the IRS is now so short-staffed that I'm guessing this would not make their list...

Threadjack complete - sorry to everyone else...

I noted the potential issue of her likely not being a licensed barber/hairdresser. And I would have advised you to pre-clear with your accountant so perhaps you would park the cars outside so the space is being solely used for haircutting. And I'm sure she is being paid by your completion of items on the honey-do list and the general good cheer I'm sure you bring to your life!

Also, from what I hear, the IRS is now so short-staffed that I'm guessing this would not make their list...

Threadjack complete - sorry to everyone else...
    Answering the phone seems to be missing from their list, as well.

Answering the phone seems to be missing from their list, as well.
    Don't even get me started. STILL waiting for my refund.

No shoes, no shirt, no problem. No $14M? Problem.

Kenny Chesney lists his home in TN. Nice place but I heard a celebrity hook-up story from a call on Elliott in the Morning (DC Shock Jock) that means every time I see his name I laugh.

As another CPA, but not a tax guy, don’t forget that your wife would have to declare the earnings on what you paid her. 😛

Y’all want to go in on a Scottish island?
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/22-acre-s...093000978.html

Y’all want to go in on a Scottish island?
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/22-acre-s...093000978.html
    If it ain’t Scottish it’s crap!

My style of Property Voyeurism is doing a walk-thru of homes under construction. Have had a couple new ones go up in our neighborhood and I find it interesting to visit during the foundation phase and then later when the sticks are up. (Once the windows and doors go in, then I'm done.) Trying to figure out what goes where is an interesting puzzle to me, plus discovering design touches that are nice - or not. One home has a kitchen with no windows - ok if cooks will be employed, but not so much if the owners will be doing their own cooking.