Page 415 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 3153654054134144154164174254655159151415 ... LastLast
Results 8,281 to 8,300 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

IPA-Oskar Blues Brewery (Brevard, NC)

Drink local! (well, sort of)

Another buck off coupon special. This time a 6er of cans for about $8 I think. Poured a golden-yellow with a frothy, lingering head. This one screamed grapefruit juice to my olfactory lobes with more of the same with rind/zest and a lot of pineapple and a splash of orange (from the red wheat malt) to the taste buds. It's a bit unbalanced at 70 IBUs and 6.43% ABV but not unpleasant or unexpected at all. Interesting hop profile of Enigma, Vic Secret, Ella, Topaz and Galaxy, the first four of which I am not familiar. Would pair well with mildly hot/spicy fare. I've got several left in the fridge and would be happy to share/trade.

a193e3024a425c970a5f120fa4c9f2df_320x320.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Rabid Duck-Duck Rabbit Brewing

It's been a while since I sipped one of these so thanks to August West (or was it CameronBornAndBred?) who slipped a 12 ounce bottle into my take home cooler a few weeks back. Poured almost 10W30 with about a 1/4 finger head which didn't hang around long. Seductive aromas of dark chocolate, black strap molasses, a splash of espresso and a hint of licorice. Tastes followed along the aromas with some charring. Bitterness I think is from the heavily roasted grains but couldn't eliminate the possibility of a high IBU rating which would be fairly common for this style. I'll guess about 60 here. A bit of booziness throughout with an ABV of 10%. High quality Russian imperial stout though I still prefer less coffee and licorice tastes in my RIS. I've heard of this being available as a BBA offering but I've never seen it but could imagine it smoothing out some of the roastiness with the addition of bourbon, oak and vanilla nuances.

8afa56d89e676c01e48da887b44993d5_320x320.jpg

Cross country journey, anyone?

http://www.cascadebrewingbarrelhouse.com/?p=beer

I've actually seen some of their creations in the Triangle area, starting at about $30 for corked and caged 750 ml bottles .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Cross country journey, anyone?

http://www.cascadebrewingbarrelhouse.com/?p=beer

I've actually seen some of their creations in the Triangle area, starting at about $30 for corked and caged 750 ml bottles .
    You and Mrs. Devildeac are more than welcome to join Amusedcupcake and I on our vacation next year to Washington/Oregon. Cascade can totally be penciled in on the agenda . We almost went last year, but went to Colorado instead. The Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti is so good straight from the source

Abita Andygator

Has taken me a long time to get myself in a position to post about this (professionally, not in a "hung over" sense; sheesh, y'all ), but I spent much of last week in New Orleans. Abita Andygator lager is the best beer I had in that town, and it wasn't even close (which is not to say that their Amber or their Restoration Pale Ale was anything at which to sneeze . . . . ).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Blackberry Farm Fall Saison

Pours the rich hue of autumn gold leaves with a frothy head.

The nose is rustic ( can a smell be rustic?), with some wet grass and brown sugar sweetness.

Maple sugar opening, with maybe a bit of lemongrass. Mildly bitter with not much of a finish.

Another nice offering from Blackberry Farm. Mostly appreciated as bringing back memories from our visit a couple years ago.

Well worth trying, a nice seasonal beer.

Birdsong Jalapeņo Pale Ale

In short, an interesting novelty.

Jalapeņo nose.

No pepper heat, tastes like nonspicy jalapeņo juice.

Worth trying, glad I only bought one.

Sixteen ounces goes a long way.

People's BBL Aged Porter-Foothills Brewing

How do you take a good quality porter and make it better? Why, throw a few hundred gallons of it into 20 year old bourbon barrels and age it for several months, of course. I've had their BBA (non Sexual Chocolate) stout before but never this BBA aged porter which I think I procured for about $6 with a buck off coupon from Total Wine a month or two ago. Poured a dark mahogany with a creamy, generous tan head. Bourbon up front with mild dark chocolate, dark caramel and a dash of espresso aromas. Tastes matched the olfactory registry with booze prominent but not off-putting and a bit of oak and vanilla in the finish (please, no c*rolina recruiting misses comments). IBUs at 42 and the ABV is 6%. I could drink several bombers of this every winter, served lightly chilled by itself or with a slice of triple chocolate cake or oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

c79c0fb460b10d157a139adca2c77a53_320x320.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

How do you take a good quality porter and make it better? Why, throw a few hundred gallons of it into 20 year old bourbon barrels and age it for several months, of course. I've had their BBA (non Sexual Chocolate) stout before but never this BBA aged porter which I think I procured for about $6 with a buck off coupon from Total Wine a month or two ago. Poured a dark mahogany with a creamy, generous tan head. Bourbon up front with mild dark chocolate, dark caramel and a dash of espresso aromas. Tastes matched the olfactory registry with booze prominent but not off-putting and a bit of oak and vanilla in the finish (please, no c*rolina recruiting misses comments). IBUs at 42 and the ABV is 6%. I could drink several bombers of this every winter, served lightly chilled by itself or with a slice of triple chocolate cake or oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

I had about 5-6 ounces of this at Pour Taproom Friday night...very good indeed.

This is my favorite beer brewed by Foothills.

Everyone makes a huge fuss over Sexual Chocolate, which is excellent.

I think the Bourbon Barrel Aged Porter is a largely undiscovered gem. I'm happy for it to remain that way so I don't have to hunt for it.

Terrapin Walking Dead Blood Orange IPA

Caveat: I really like Terrapin beer. This beer, like zombies, are an abberation.

Woefully under carbonated / flat.
    Whatever bitterness the blood orange peel was supposed to add was hidden completely by the hop bill.

I'd be willing to say this was just a sub par gimmick release if it were not for the carbonation.

Can't recommend.

Starpoint Porter (Carrboro)

If you like a good porter, this one is worth drinking.

Deschutes Brewery to Roanoke or Asheville?

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/n...s-up/74042590/

I've been following this closely for a few months now. Me thinks they make the right decision and pick Beer City

Old news. This has been going on for months now.

The State of NC makes it very difficult to put up any incentives to lure a company (unless it involves something that the right side of the aisle is very interested in), especially if it involves the "cesspool of sin", to come and set up shop. Heck, we are even chasing the alternative energy companies away to protect the coal and oil industries that are not even in NC. (Of course, Duke Energy couldn't be influencing anything of that nature either, could it?)

On the other hand, I have no idea what Virginia has up its sleeve to lure the company to Roanoke.

In spite of the facts that show that NC is really trying to promote the beer industry, the hatred that the legislature has for Asheville is just too stifling. Asheville is doing what it can, but the haters continue to get in the way.

Deschutes is looking for a culture for its employees that resembles what they have in Oregon, which favors Asheville all the way. The vast majority of the time, however, money talks the loudest and if Roanoke (with their state's backing) can come through in that department, all bets are off.

We'll just have to see if Deschutes is as idealistic as it claims to be. If they are, then it's a slam dunk for us, I believe.

ricks

Holy Ninja Oyster Porter

My least favorite Ninja porter so far.
    Not bad, just not nearly as good as the other Ninja beers I've been fortunate to sample.

The hard work has been done for us.

Who's game? ;-)

http://flowingdata.com/2015/10/26/top-brewery-road-trip-routed-algorithmically/

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Holy Ninja Oyster Porter

My least favorite Ninja porter so far.
    Not bad, just not nearly as good as the other Ninja beers I've been fortunate to sample.
    The 2015 Ninja Bread Man is out TODAY. I plan on trying it after dinner (if not before).☺ Really neat label that I wish I were able to post.

I will certainly pick up bottles for you and dd to add to my Nov 14 delivery.

ricks

Cuvee de Mortagne

Picked up on a lark.
    14%!

Aged for six months in oak used to mature Pomperol wines.

Smells very port-y/ aperitif-like.

Orange peel sweet, almost like a Grand Marnier light.

Belgian fun.
    Pricey, glad I tried it.

Enjoy by 10/31/15 IPA-Stone Brewing

Another buck off 6er from Total Wine from earlier this month. Disclaimer here: It's a DIPA checking in at 88 IBUs (hey, it's a Stone brew, whaddaya expect?) with an ABV of 9.4%. Poured an orange-yellow with a moderately foamy head. My word, it smells like a tropical/citrus fruit punch! Well, not quite but there's a lot of grapefruit and pineapple wafting to my nostrils and a ton of the same along with some pine, papaya, mango, peach and tangerine on the palate, too. They write that it's not malty sweet but at this high gravity, there are most certainly some caramel-y and Hawaiian bready flavors here for balance. Here's the hop list: Ahtanum, Super Galena, Simcoe, Amarillo, Delta, Target, Calypso, Cascade, Citra, Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin, Motueka and Helga-no wonder there are a lot of tropical and citrusy notes present. This was a bit spendy at about $14 for the litter but well worth seeking out and/or sampling, whether it's a 12 ounce bottle, a bomber or you can find it on draft somewhere before it's gone.

bba2e4d12868c786ca7ef000e7d93a71_320x320.jpg