Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. UNC Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Zou and Lance have been trading spots

Dave just had a great game

and then there is the old Nolan vs Greg debate

There has been a good deal of instability in the starting lineup recently

... so who gets the nod for Carolina? More importantly, who gets the minutes?

Moderator's note: This thread was formerly titled "Starters for UNC game?" It just seems like a lot of the pre-game analysis for the UNC game has already started in earnest here, so I'm making it official.
    Last edited by Troublemaker; 02-08-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: changed thread title

Starters for unc game

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Zou and Lance have been trading spots

Dave just had a great game

and then there is the old Nolan vs Greg debate

There has been a good deal of instability in the starting lineup recently

... so who gets the nod for Carolina? More importantly, who gets the minutes?
    I want to react quickly to Dave's great game and say start him on hanstravel. But I'm not, I say start Zoubek on hans. I don't think hans is much quicker than Brian. So my starting line up would be:
    Henderson
    Singler
    Scheyer
    Zoubek
    Paulus

#6 man...Nolan...15 mins
    #7 man...McClure...25 mins
    #8 man... Thomas...12 mins
    a few mins...Williams, Plumlee and Marty

I think Greg starts, Nolan doesn't seem ready for big games, IMO. I think LT starts also just because he a little more energetic

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I want to react quickly to Dave's great game and say start him on hanstravel. But I'm not, I say start Zoubek on hans. I don't think hans is much quicker than Brian. So my starting line up would be:
    Henderson
    Singler
    Scheyer
    Zoubek
    Paulus

#6 man...Nolan...15 mins
    #7 man...McClure...25 mins
    #8 man... Thomas...12 mins
    a few mins...Williams, Plumlee and Marty
    Hansbrough is substantially quicker than Zoubek.

Yes hans is quicker if

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Hansbrough is substantially quicker than Zoubek.
    That's if you throw in his travels. Go Duke!

Carolina is going to bring their track shoes for this basketball game.

So, it's not as important who starts; the focus is slowing/bothering Ty Lawson. Whether Paulus or Nolan Smith, whoever chooses to get that done is going to get more time.

I'm certain that the hated Holes will go right to their inside game and work to get our guys in foul trouble early, along with establishing their jet-speed transition game.

dth.

I think Paulus probably starts, but this is a pivotal time for Nolan to regain his form, for obvious defensive reasons.
    McClure will probably still come off the bench because he is unique in the sense that he can come in the game for basically anybody and fit in the line-up, as long as there is a ball-handler in the game. It gives Duke a great lift.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I have to agree with CDu on this one. Hanswalk is like "a lot" quicker than Zoubs. That being said, Zoubs has guarded Hanswalk quite well in small stretches in past games. Especially down low. Out on the perimeter, not so much.

No matter who starts, I just hope all of our guys play at a high level Wednesday. The holes have taken some hits recently that has hurt their bench depth. Outside of Davis, the impact of their bench players has been greatly reduced on both ends of the floor. They will have to rely heavily on their starters the rest of the way. Their starting 5 is still very strong on the offensive end, no doubt, but they are definitely beatable.

I'm not that worried about Hansbrough's "perimeter" game. Z did just fine against "Psycho T" last season and was able to bother him with his size. I think he's also improved from last season, while Hanstravel has regressed a bit (still a solid player, though).

I'd start:

Nolan
    McClure
    Hendo
    Singler
    Zoubek

Bring Scheyer and Paulus off the bench early and often. Rotate Lance and Plumlee with McClure and Z.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I'm not that worried about Hansbrough's "perimeter" game. Z did just fine against "Psycho T" last season and was able to bother him with his size. I think he's also improved from last season, while Hanstravel has regressed a bit (still a solid player, though).

I'd start:

Nolan
    McClure
    Hendo
    Singler
    Zoubek

Bring Scheyer and Paulus off the bench early and often. Rotate Lance and Plumlee with McClure and Z.
    By "on the perimeter" I meant that Zoubs could have problems preventing hanswalk from driving past him. Down low I agree Zoubs defends him well.

Just curious, but why would you not start Jon? He played well today and has a history of giving Ellington fits...

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    By "on the perimeter" I meant that Zoubs could have problems preventing hanswalk from driving past him. Down low I agree Zoubs defends him well.

Just curious, but why would you not start Jon? He played well today and has a history of giving Ellington fits...
    I liked the experiment by K last year where Scheyer came off the bench - I thought he played better then than when he started. I'd like to see the same experiment this year to try to get him out of his funk.

And I see your point about Hans-travel. Maybe K should throw a zone out there?

I'd start:

Paulus
    Scheyer
    Henderson
    Singler
    McClure

My theory is we need the seniors, Greg and Dave to show the others the effort it will take to win this game. I'd bring Nolan and Lance/Z off the bench for lots of minutes, maybe a majority of minutes if they show their stuff.

Nolan needs to mentally get in the game. He's got the skills, he needs to focus in and concentrate 100%. We need him to be a big contributor if we want to achieve significant post-season success.

McClure earned the right to start.

McClure and Paulus last year vs. Carolina in Cameron.

Greg
    Jon
    Gerald
    Kyle
    David

I say Jon starts b/c he, along with Henderson, is a strong defender. We are going to need to smother Carolina on the perimeter and negate that entry pass to the paint; if we can ratchet the pressure way up outside the arc, it's going to be a more competitive game, in my opinion.

We can win if we slow down their transition game, hit our free throws and play defense with great verve.

Do all these and Carolina delenda est.

dth.

"...Hanstravel has regressed a bit (still a solid player, though)."

Pretty funny stuff. NPOY, 3 time all Acc, soon to be 4, likely soon to be the Acc's all time leading scorer and the list could go on...

Ya think he's a solid player? Way to out on a limb there. You might want to think about giving this kid a little more respect, especially as he comes into your house to lead his team to a potential fourth straight win to close out his career there. BTW, the cute names to cut him down also get a little old guys, he should be called by his Indian name from his mothers side of the family, "Hansownsyou"...or Mr. Hansbrough at the very least.

How's that for my first post of rivalry week?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    I'd start:

Paulus
    Scheyer
    Henderson
    Singler
    McClure

My theory is we need the seniors, Greg and Dave to show the others the effort it will take to win this game. I'd bring Nolan and Lance/Z off the bench for lots of minutes, maybe a majority of minutes if they show their stuff.

Nolan needs to mentally get in the game. He's got the skills, he needs to focus in and concentrate 100%. We need him to be a big contributor if we want to achieve significant post-season success.
    I suppose it doesn't really matter who starts, as opposed to who plays the most minutes, but I'm looking at this proposed lineup, which did very well against Miami in the 2nd half today, and wondering who would guard whom. If you put McClure on Hansbrough, he'll be serviceable but is giving up a lot of size. Still, Singler on Thompson, Henderson on Green, and Scheyer on Ellington seems good. But that leaves Paulus on Lawson, which in my opinion is a recipe for disaster. Conversely, if you put McClure on Lawson, then Paulus presumably would have to guard Ellington, which could be just as disastrous, Scheyer on Green, Henderson on Thompson and Singler on Hansbrough, and I'd be worried about all of them either wearing down or getting into foul trouble against larger opponents. And when Ed Davis comes in, I think we'd have even more trouble with this configuration. So I have my doubts about this particular lineup getting a lot of run together (unless Lawson gets into foul trouble or something).

Personally, I see either Nolan Smith or McClure shadowing Lawson all game, and keep rotating big bodies on Hansbrough to make him work for his free throws, and then let Scheyer, Henderson, and/or Singler handle Ellington, Green, and Thompson/Davis.

I know Paulus lit up UNC in the first game last year, but Lawson didn't play in that game and assuming nothing happens to Lawson I don't see Greg getting a great deal of run in this game, 15 minutes tops. I could be wrong, of course.

McClure - 13 rebounds in 29 minutes. "Nuff said.

Oh, but Wheat...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    "...Hanstravel has regressed a bit (still a solid player, though)."

Pretty funny stuff. NPOY, 3 time all Acc, soon to be 4, likely soon to be the Acc's all time leading scorer and the list could go on...

Ya think he's a solid player? Way to out on a limb there. You might want to think about giving this kid a little more respect, especially as he comes into your house to lead his team to a potential fourth straight win to close out his career there. BTW, the cute names to cut him down also get a little old guys, he should be called by his Indian name from his mothers side of the family, "Hansownsyou"...or Mr. Hansbrough at the very least.

How's that for my first post of rivalry week?
    you guys have affectionate 'love note' nicknames for OUR guys, too! Why give us a hard time for doing what you guys over there also do?

dth.

Just having a little fun wit cha...I had to work all day and missed the games, then out to a charity event and topped the evening off with a cocktail , which I rarely do...

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    If you put McClure on Hansbrough, he'll be serviceable but is giving up a lot of size. Still, Singler on Thompson, Henderson on Green, and Scheyer on Ellington seems good. But that leaves Paulus on Lawson, which in my opinion is a recipe for disaster.
    Yes, Paulus on Lawson and McClure on Hansbrough to start out. It may well be that we quickly have to go to the bench for defensive reasons, but I'd let the seniors start the game and have the opportunity to do something.

I would not have McClure on Lawson at all. If Lawson starts abusing Greg, we go to Nolan on Lawson.

And we see how many good minutes we can get out of Dave on Hans, but probably will need to go fairly quickly to Z/Lance.