Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Microsoft says don't use Internet Explorer

There is a security flaw in IE that they can't fix, so they say use something else. That's pretty funny.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

In fairness, Microsoft didn't make that statement, security advisors did.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    In fairness, Microsoft didn't make that statement, security advisors did.
    Speaking to the BBC website, John Curran, head of Windows at Microsoft UK, said: “It would not be advisable to send people from one vulnerability to multiple vulnerabilities.”

--He's addressing the idea of going to a different version of IE than 7. Meaning don't use any of them.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It certainly could be or it could be "creative journalism". I tend to lean toward the latter.

The question asked of the Microsoft rep could have been "Would you suggest your users switch to other browsers?"

Note that the title of the article was originally "Microsoft encourages users to switch to other browsers" has since been changed to "IE users encouraged to switch to other browsers".

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    There is a security flaw in IE that they can't fix, so they say use something else. That's pretty funny.
    Waaaaaay ahead of them on this.

IE is a security disaster, for a lot of reasons. I only use it on sites where I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Waaaaaay ahead of them on this.

IE is a security disaster, for a lot of reasons. I only use it on sites where I have to.
    Are you using Firefox? There's an extension that allows IE rendering within Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    Are you using Firefox? There's an extension that allows IE rendering within Firefox.
    Yeah but that just calls the IEXPLORE COM object (or somesuch) I think and embeds it in the Firefox window - so you're still using IE. Not sure it will get around the vulnerability.

I've been saying the same thing for years.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Yeah but that just calls the IEXPLORE COM object (or somesuch) I think and embeds it in the Firefox window - so you're still using IE. Not sure it will get around the vulnerability.
    Hmm, so it does. Thanks for the info.

Even so, it doesn't change the my suggestion. Rather than starting a whole new window you can use IE Tabs within Firefox. Granted it doesn't avoid IE, but at least you're not starting up a whole new window.

Hmm, so it does. Thanks for the info.

Even so, it doesn't change the my suggestion. Rather than starting a whole new window you can use IE Tabs within Firefox. Granted it doesn't avoid IE, but at least you're not starting up a whole new window.
    There's pretty much no difference between the two, in terms of memory overhead and resource utilization on your machine. Agree, though, that it's a fine and fairly unobtrusive solution if you need it.

But the real question is, are there really still sites that require IE in 2008? For shame.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    But the real question is, are there really still sites that require IE in 2008? For shame.
    A big one. Windows Update.

There's pretty much no difference between the two, in terms of memory overhead and resource utilization on your machine. Agree, though, that it's a fine and fairly unobtrusive solution if you need it.

We have some corporate apps that only work in IE. So I do use it from time to time. Also for Windows Update.

I think the original concern was security, though I agree that in general a web browser is a web browser. For my money, I like the ability to add extensions to ignore cookies, disallow pictures, etc.

But, there are plenty of sites where the page doesn't render correctly making them hard to navigate. And as others have mentioned Microsoft Update requires IE.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    A big one. Windows Update.
    What is Windows? Tee Hee.

But yeah, Windows Update. If you can't count on that site being secure, that's a substantial problem.

But, there are plenty of sites where the page doesn't render correctly making them hard to navigate.
    I just think that's super sad. Those providers are telling more than 1 in 5 people they don't value their patronage. It's not terribly difficult to make your site work across multiple browsers. Some super cool companies even provide easy, cheap, no-install-required tools for testing content in multiple browsers.

Thanks. Yes, I'm already using that extension (I actually think there's several). I do web development and flipping between rendering engines at will is invaluable.

I just think that's super sad. Those providers are telling more than 1 in 5 people they don't value their patronage.
    Thanks for mentioning that-- I haven't specifically tested most of my IE-only sites for a while in Firefox. They all work in Firefox now.

No more IE for me-- except for compatibility testing.

Have anyone switched full time to Chrome? While there are some extensions I'd miss by switching completely over, I've seen faster load times and a general nimbleness to Chrome that has been lost in Firefox.

GoDuke.com used to look like crap in Firefox...was really annoying. They've improved it, though.

Patch is available now. If you are a Windows user, update ASAP.