Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I went to a decent amount of shows in my late teens/early twenties. Earlier tastes leaned toward Dead/Phish/Allman Bros, then more Pearl Jam/DMB/Gov’t Mule and a rave interregnum.

Tom Petty in my late 20s was an eye-opener. I knew going in that he had a bunch of songs I liked, although it was not until he played hit after hit that I hadn’t listened to in years that I realized just how many great songs he and the Heartbreakers had given us over the years.

But I didn’t realize how great a performer he was. He cared about putting on a great show and he nailed it.

Years later I saw Van Halen in the Staples Center, and while I don’t love their music, they also put on a great show.

Since this is a thread about kids’ TV shows, and kids’ shows often include dogs and pigs, I present Temple of the Dog, performing War Pig by Black Sabbath.

As your attorney, I recommend you (everyone, not just OPK) enjoy this performance: https://youtu.be/O-q5ksqQBuk

ETA: Come so see Chris Cornell, but stay to see Mike McCready shread at the climax.
    Excellent advice, counselor. (and great post overall)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Tim Finn (Crowded House) on the Wiggles:

I really enjoyed the Wiggles because it was kid’s music that was not just crap.
    Split Enz. Awesome.

Made me think of Banana Splitz, on topic and awful.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Split Enz. Awesome.

Made me think of Banana Splitz, on topic and awful.
    Gotta admit, the witch on The Bugaloos kinda scared me when I was young. Don’t even start me on the sleestaks.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Tom Petty in my late 20s was an eye-opener. I knew going in that he had a bunch of songs I liked, although it was not until he played hit after hit that I hadn’t listened to in years that I realized just how many great songs he and the Heartbreakers had given us over the years.

But I didn’t realize how great a performer he was. He cared about putting on a great show and he nailed it.
    This almost exactly mirrors my experience with Tom Petty about 10 years ago. I was so blown away by the guitar work I had to look up what hot shot guitarist they had brought in to spice up the act. IIRC, it was the original lineup for the duration of the band but in any case it was definitely the original guitarist Mike Campbell. Awesome performance.

As your attorney, I recommend you (everyone, not just OPK) enjoy this performance: https://youtu.be/O-q5ksqQBuk

ETA: Come so see Chris Cornell, but stay to see Mike McCready shread at the climax.
    Wow, thank you for this.

I always thought Clifford on PBS was good. Martha Speaks was good. Also Wizards of Waverly Place was stupid, but you could tell Selena Gomez was going to be a star.

I really enjoyed the Smurfs, but it was so frustrating that Papa Smurf and his criminal gang always won. Definitely different from most kids shows when the good guys win, but Gargamel and Azreal never did. Would have been awesome for the smurtfs to turn into a snack for the cat or gold bars. It would serve those buggars right good.

These are my current faves with my 2 and 4 year old grandsons.

Stinky and Dirty (Amazon Prime) -- wonderful show where Stinky (a garbage truck) and Dirty (a backhoe) solve problems, first brainstorming some really silly solutions, then discovering something that works. LOADS of A list stars doing the voices.
    Blaze and the Monster Machines (Nick Jr/Paramount+) -- An ingeniously adorable and interactive way to teach physics and science as well as how cheating doesn't pay for young kids. I'm flabbergasted that the 4 year old knows trajectory, mass, acceleration, etc, from this show and applies it to his Hot Wheels, trains, and other toys.
    Zooboomafo and the Wild Kratts (PBS) -- who doesn't love animals? Bonus points for the Duke connections.
    Ada Twist, Scientist (Netflix) -- based on the books, this has multicultural children who each have their own STEM interest (architecture, scientist, engineer) asking questions and solving problems.
    Paw Patrol (Nickelodeon/Paramount+) -- cute enough, not annoying, and entirely too many characters for me to accurately remember their names. The most licensed toys to buy of the lot of these.
    Gabby's Dollhouse (Netflix) -- the four year old is smitten with this. It's a hybrid live action/animation where Gabby comes up with ideas along with her stuffed cats, then goes into an animated sequence taking place in the rooms in her dollhouse. Lots of crafting, this one has some healthy snack crafts that the kids love. The latest was making cats out of a rice cake smeared with peanut butter with two slices of bananas, two slices of strawberries, two blueberries, and six straight pretzels. It's now their favorite snack, edging out the Paw Patrol gummy snacks.
    Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and Sesame Street are classics.

These all have good story lines, engage the kids, teach them something when they don't know they're learning, the music isn't awful, and the voices aren't squeaky/dumbed down. It's good that they're not annoying for adults because they're on repeat during screen time at the kids' request.

Not a fan of Blippi because he's too, uh, over-enthusiastic. Not a fan of PJ Masks, as the 4 year old calls his brother "the villain" and proceeds to save everyone from "the villain." It gets too rough. Can't wait until the kids are old enough to introduce them to my favorites from their parents' era, like Angry Beavers and Cat Dog.

Back to your heavy metal discussions.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Gabby's Dollhouse (Netflix) -- the four year old is smitten with this. It's a hybrid live action/animation where Gabby comes up with ideas along with her stuffed cats, then goes into an animated sequence taking place in the rooms in her dollhouse.
    I'm guessing that Gabby is not this Gabby?

toy_story_4_gabby_benson_woody_set_1572361395_a32f8aa0_progressive.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I thought it was about this Gabby:

B7E483EA-C04E-48DA-A95A-905AB17EF24B.jpg

Daniel tiger is awesome.

Amazon's Creative Galaxy is really cool as well for the preschool crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    These are my current faves with my 2 and 4 year old grandsons.

Stinky and Dirty (Amazon Prime) -- wonderful show where Stinky (a garbage truck) and Dirty (a backhoe) solve problems, first brainstorming some really silly solutions, then discovering something that works. LOADS of A list stars doing the voices.
    Blaze and the Monster Machines (Nick Jr/Paramount+) -- An ingeniously adorable and interactive way to teach physics and science as well as how cheating doesn't pay for young kids. I'm flabbergasted that the 4 year old knows trajectory, mass, acceleration, etc, from this show and applies it to his Hot Wheels, trains, and other toys.
    Zooboomafo and the Wild Kratts (PBS) -- who doesn't love animals? Bonus points for the Duke connections.
    Ada Twist, Scientist (Netflix) -- based on the books, this has multicultural children who each have their own STEM interest (architecture, scientist, engineer) asking questions and solving problems.
    Paw Patrol (Nickelodeon/Paramount+) -- cute enough, not annoying, and entirely too many characters for me to accurately remember their names. The most licensed toys to buy of the lot of these.
    Gabby's Dollhouse (Netflix) -- the four year old is smitten with this. It's a hybrid live action/animation where Gabby comes up with ideas along with her stuffed cats, then goes into an animated sequence taking place in the rooms in her dollhouse. Lots of crafting, this one has some healthy snack crafts that the kids love. The latest was making cats out of a rice cake smeared with peanut butter with two slices of bananas, two slices of strawberries, two blueberries, and six straight pretzels. It's now their favorite snack, edging out the Paw Patrol gummy snacks.
    Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and Sesame Street are classics.

These all have good story lines, engage the kids, teach them something when they don't know they're learning, the music isn't awful, and the voices aren't squeaky/dumbed down. It's good that they're not annoying for adults because they're on repeat during screen time at the kids' request.

Not a fan of Blippi because he's too, uh, over-enthusiastic. Not a fan of PJ Masks, as the 4 year old calls his brother "the villain" and proceeds to save everyone from "the villain." It gets too rough. Can't wait until the kids are old enough to introduce them to my favorites from their parents' era, like Angry Beavers and Cat Dog.

Back to your heavy metal discussions.
    We have similar taste. Great call on Stinky and Dirty - kids love it and it is one of the more adult friendly shows. And it is great how they model good problem solving skills.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Gotta admit, the witch on The Bugaloos kinda scared me when I was young. Don’t even start me on the sleestaks.
    What?!!! How could you not love Martha Raye?

maxresdefault.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Do I get extra credit for using The Simpson’s opening credits scene on a thread you titled “Children's shows you actually enjoyed”?
    My ex and his brother who lived down the street (just the brother, my ex still lived here then) are huge Simpsons fans and my kids and the cousins would join them to watch after dinner on Sunday nights. On the hundredth day of school when my youngest was in first grade they were asked to make a drawing out of the number 100 cut from construction paper and my son made his a picture of Moe’s Tavern:

5435AB23-5169-4F1E-B489-EACBD68ACED6.jpg

This was the year after he and I had been called to the Head of School’s office over her concerns that he was upsetting the other children by talking about suicide. When she asked him if he knew what it meant and how he knew he said yes he knew and that Grandpa Simpson tried to kill himself in the diePod. That same year I had a parent tell me that her son kept saying “pie pants” and told her that my son had started saying it during a science experiment and he thought it was really funny but didn’t know what it meant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qBPR9tNYK8

He also used to entertain us by reciting the dialog in all the voices of an entire “Hi Dr. Nick!” scene.
    I’m an excellent parent.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Hahaha! My children got a weird mix of 90s alternative, 90s rap and hip hop and classic country. And also a ton of national public radio.
    My kids got xm satellite radio 60s, 70s, 80s, Classic Vinyl, and Classic Rewind. My daughter texted me from Italy during a semester abroad thanking me for “raising her right” after she was the only person in the karaoke bar, Italian or American, to know all the words to Crocodile Rock. (And I don’t want any lip from you CD)

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Daniel tiger is awesome.

Amazon's Creative Galaxy is really cool as well for the preschool crowd.
    I love Creative Galaxy, too! My grandkids are meh about turning it on, but then won't let me turn it off, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by missfinch View Post
    My ex and his brother who lived down the street (just the brother, my ex still lived here then) are huge Simpsons fans and my kids and the cousins would join them to watch after dinner on Sunday nights. On the hundredth day of school when my youngest was in first grade they were asked to make a drawing out of the number 100 cut from construction paper and my son made his a picture of Moe’s Tavern:

This was the year after he and I had been called to the Head of School’s office over her concerns that he was upsetting the other children by talking about suicide. When she asked him if he knew what it meant and how he knew he said yes he knew and that Grandpa Simpson tried to kill himself in the diePod. That same year I had a parent tell me that her son kept saying “pie pants” and told her that my son had started saying it during a science experiment and he thought it was really funny but didn’t know what it meant.

He also used to entertain us by reciting the dialog in all the voices of an entire “Hi Dr. Nick!” scene.
    I’m an excellent parent.

My kids got xm satellite radio 60s, 70s, 80s, Classic Vinyl, and Classic Rewind. My daughter texted me from Italy during a semester abroad thanking me for “raising her right” after she was the only person in the karaoke bar, Italian or American, to know all the words to Crocodile Rock. (And I don’t want any lip from you CD)
    About five years ago my son was in a taekwondo class with Hank Azaria's son, so several times I sat next him watching. It was very normal for parents to chat while watching, so it would not have been weird for me to start talking to him (the prior year I became fairly friendly with a dad who was a former UNC athlete who was one of the most rational, nice UNC fans I ever met). I had so many questions/comments for Azaria about Simpson's voices he did but decided to just leave the guy alone so he could watch his kid.

Little Einsteins was good, although I only saw some early ones before my daughter moved on to other things.

Quote Originally Posted by missfinch View Post

I’m an excellent parent.

Ha! You got it. Strong work raising the kids right!

A thread that starts talking about more modern kids shows and evolves into a music discussion makes me want to mention how amazing the original music is on so many of these kids shows. So many of them have original songs in every episode, and many of them are fantastic. I have always thought it would be so fun to write music on these shows.

Here's a Phineas and Ferb heavy metal song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVhGWmljQEM

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    A thread that starts talking about more modern kids shows and evolves into a music discussion makes me want to mention how amazing the original music is on so many of these kids shows. So many of them have original songs in every episode, and many of them are fantastic. I have always thought it would be so fun to write music on these shows.

Phineas and Ferb was soooooo good. Also it took place over just one summer. It was a pretty action packed summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Love it.