Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Wishbone

Reading Rainbow

Arthur

Babar

Doug

Bill Nye The Science Guy
    My kids LOVED Wishbone and Reading Rainbow. Glaring omissions from my list.

never saw a minute of any of these!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    never saw a minute of any of these!
    Neither did that one poster who chose to interact with his children rather than use television to distract them like I did, so I could wallow in my mindless drudgery. I can't relate. How else, besides cartoons, can children learn that anvils and safes falling from the sky can't kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Neither did that one poster who chose to interact with his children rather than use television to distract them like I did, so I could wallow in my mindless drudgery. I can't relate. How else, besides cartoons, can children learn that anvils and safes falling from the sky can't kill you.
    I did learn that stuff from older 'toons like Rocky and Bullwinkle...Wile E Coyote, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I did learn that stuff from older 'toons like Rocky and Bullwinkle...Wile E Coyote, etc...
    Hey Bud! Watch me pull a rabbit out of this hat! Giggling thinking to myself that Bullwinkle went to college at Whatsamatta U.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Hey Bud! Watch me pull a rabbit out of this hat! Giggling thinking to myself that Bullwinkle went to college at Whatsamatta U.
    For me, that show was the best ever during my kid-dom. Was it there that we saw a game between Penn State and State Pen?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    When they were really little, I would watch Teletubbies with my kids. We all loved it. Two of them even wanted to go as Teletubbies for Halloween one year. As my neighbor put it at the time, "It's like watching a fish tank, lots of bright colors swimming around."

Once they got older - Spongebob. They all still like Spongebob and will watch it together when they are home for holidays and such. I always loved Spongebob and encouraged their fandom because Spongebob is such a decent sponge being - he's kind, he cares about his friends, he's honorable - and he makes tons of jokes about butts so that the kids find him funny. What more could you ask for?

Barney wasn't so bad. What was wrong with Barney was the age of the kids on the show, they had to be nearing puberty. They should have found some 6-8 year-olds to do the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    When they were really little, I would watch Teletubbies with my kids. We all loved it. Two of them even wanted to go as Teletubbies for Halloween one year. As my neighbor put it at the time, "It's like watching a fish tank, lots of bright colors swimming around."

Once they got older - Spongebob. They all still like Spongebob and will watch it together when they are home for holidays and such. I always loved Spongebob and encouraged their fandom because Spongebob is such a decent sponge being - he's kind, he cares about his friends, he's honorable - and he makes tons of jokes about butts so that the kids find him funny. What more could you ask for?

Barney wasn't so bad. What was wrong with Barney was the age of the kids on the show, they had to be nearing puberty. They should have found some 6-8 year-olds to do the show.
    Teletubbies was like fingernails on a chalkboard. *Again*
    Teletubbies was like fingernails on a chalkboard. *Again*
    Teletubbies was like fingernails on a chalkboard.
    [Interlude of sun with creepy baby head]
    Different fingernails on a chalkboard. *Again*
    Different fingernails on a chalkboard. *Again*
    Different fingernails on a chalkboard.

Tiny kids loved it, but oh, did I hate that show! I had actually had fun watching the kids watch the show, but I'm glad they didn't like it all that much and we could give it up fairly quickly. I happy your experience was better than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Any male on this board (or anywhere else, for that matter) who claims they didn't want to be Jonny Quest is a liar.
    Straight up fact!

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    The original Magic Schoolbus is another good one.
    Forgot about that one. My kids watched it as well.

And since some of you are combining things, I definitely grew up watching Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood, and the Electric Company. Often in school. Oh, and Captain Kangaroo as well.

Showed this to my little ones and they loved it. I still hum it every so often, which probably explains a lot.

Phineas and Ferb
    The Wiggles
    Kim Possible
    Thomas the Tank Engine (Ringo Starr and George Carlin narrations)

The win-win for me was to show my kids remakes of shows I loved as a kid in the 80s - Netflix versions of Voltron (amazing), Transformers, He-Man, etc. The originals are basically unwatchable by today's standards.

I really liked Anakin and the Younglings.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Phineas and Ferb
    The Wiggles
    Kim Possible
    Thomas the Tank Engine (Ringo Starr and George Carlin narrations)
    I did like Kim Possible!

H.R. Pufnstuf

The ones we watched and enjoyed as a family as my son grew up don't seem to be on anyone else's list. But here they are:

Adventures of Pete and Pete

Malcolm in the Middle (breakout role for Bryon Cranston - before he went bad)

Real Monsters (always on the hunt for toenail clippings)

Rug Rats

Did no one else watch these?

Never had kids.

But I did watch Pee-wee's Playhouse at times.

Silly. Great theme song. Offbeat characters.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Never had kids.

But I did watch Pee-wee's Playhouse at times.

Silly. Great theme song. Offbeat characters.
    There's no basement in the Alamo!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    The win-win for me was to show my kids remakes of shows I loved as a kid in the 80s - Netflix versions of Voltron (amazing), Transformers, He-Man, etc. The originals are basically unwatchable by today's standards.
    I eagerly wait for X-Men 97.

Like many here, the kids show from my early years were from PBS and Saturday mornings. Eventually we got cable (Nickelodeon, TBS, USA) and the FCC got doped into allowing cartoons in the morning and afternoon as “educational”. A lot of great shows have been mentioned. I’ll add:
    Batman the Animated Series (Actually all the DC animated stuff is good. Those folks should have made the movies.)
    Belle and Sebastian
    Are You Afraid of the Dark?
    The Mysterious Cities of Gold
    Animaniacs

The young ones right now are mainly rotating through Paw Patrol, Blue’s Clues, and Bluey. We have been actively discouraging Peppy Pig.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Batman the Animated Series (Actually all the DC animated stuff is good. Those folks should have made the movies.)
    Darn! How could I have forgotten that?!!! The greatest incarnation of Batman ever!

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    With an 8 year old and a 4 year old, I am awash in kids tv. My Little Pony has its moments( it is kind of amusing that they had a Q like character in mind and they got the actor who played Q on TNG to voice act him). Gluey is currently a fave. She has enjoyed showings of Pinky and the Brain as well as the Animaniacs. And she's a huge Star Wars fan, having never seen the movies but the LEGO versions of them.

And though she wasn't a huge fan, I can't help but name the cartoon that gave my nick... Star Blazers