Page 119 of 3388 FirstFirst ... 19691091171181191201211291692196191119 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 67742
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Umm, you have a head in your yard?
    You sure you have no connections to the New England DBR Mafia?

Just what I need for my osteology lab!
    It wasn't and still isn't skeletonized. The ears, head fur, and eye mask are still intact. I can mail it to you, but to avoid criminal charges for mailing a head, I'll have to mail it anonymously or else post humorously.

Today a large snapping turtle laid eggs in my yard. My book says they can lay up to 88 eggs (88? strange number) and take 9 to 18 weeks to hatch.

Talking I wonder what's in the backyard

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    It wasn't and still isn't skeletonized. The ears, head fur, and eye mask are still intact. I can mail it to you, but to avoid criminal charges for mailing a head, I'll have to mail it anonymously or else post humorously.

Today a large snapping turtle laid eggs in my yard. My book says they can lay up to 88 eggs (88? strange number) and take 9 to 18 weeks to hatch.
    DON'T SEND HEADS IN THE MAIL!!

[I think the head's a message from billybreen and the New England DBR Mafia.]

Now if it was a primate, I'd be there in a flash.

What kind of a yard do you have? Snapping turtles? Foxes? Racoons?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

[I think the head's a message from billybreen and the New England DBR Mafia.]
    To carry a conversation from the PPB to the LTE -- NE DBR Mafia? Hah!

NE DBR Rotary club, perhaps.

Heck, with the appearance of poster, TerriH, on the OTB, plus occasional pfrdukie, we've got the start of the PNW DBR gang. Maybe the Portlanders (Portlandians?) can join in, just to boost numbers.

NE DBR Rotary Club

Ummm, CT is in New England so what am I missing here? Now if Fish80 were in New York, New Jersery or Atlanta then it would be a message.

Actually I think we are more like the local Elks lodge...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Hey there's a New England DBR mafia or rotary club? I know I joined a group but are we really that organized? Am I a part of it?

Beat LA!

MMA on CBS?

Anyone watch the premier of MMA on CBS last night?

I am a casual MMA fan, and I think that they did a disservice to the sport - they spent way too much time hyping the fights and could have actually shown two or three more fights. Also, I think they called a couple of fights too early, and for some reason I think that it had to do with CBS. Both of the the last two fights were finished against the wishes of the fighters, and IMO, too soon.

And the Kimbo fight was a little disappointing - I have thought Kimbo was an interesting character, but I can't help but feel that they picked a fighter who wasn't very proficient on the ground in order to not expose Kimbo to too much.

What do others think?

I only saw the Slice fight. Kimbo was killed on the ground. A better fighter would have finished him when he was against the cage for most of round 2. Cant argue with his punching power though. It was awesome to watch. Though without the ear popping Kimbo doesnt get that match called early. Earlier in round 2, Kimbo looked like has was going to finshed him but got put on his pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! aand against the cage for a long time. Good fight but I've seen better. Still prefer boxing and I'm part of the "younger generation." I'm 16.

EliteXC is the minor leagues of MMA. Agree that stuff was called too early, figure it was CBS worrying about the censors etc. I saw three of the fights, it didn't take much to guess when they would start and end. Slice is a brawler, I doubt he will become proficient enough in other arts over the next couple years to really have an impact as he's early to mid 30's I think and its a young man's game. But he always has a puncher's chance of getting the win. In some ways though, I liken all the media outcry over last night's events to Annika Sorenstam playing in the men's golf tournament. Just let them give it a shot, it will be evident soon enough whether it is working or not.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    The Slice fight was a fiasco. He has no skill on the mat so they picked a fighter who wasn't very proficient figuring that Slice would finish him off easily (he also has a bit of a glass chin). When that didn't happen it was obvious that, barring a lucky punch, Slice would lose. He took a ton of forearms to the head for the last 2 minutes of the second round and the ref didn't even think about stopping the fight (it probably should've been stopped as he wasn't able to effectively defend himself). Yet, as soon as Thompson's ear popped (why didn't they drain it before the fight???) the ref jumped in and stopped the fight. Thompson could easily have continued as that ear injury is an old one and wasn't likely to affect his abilities for the remainder of that fight. In my opinion, and I've watched a lot of MMA over the last couple of years, they were just looking for a reason to stop it so that Slice didn't lose - as he most certainly would have if the judges had scored the fight fairly. What a joke.

The whole event was a joke actually. Waaaaaay too much hype for fighters who definitely don't deserve it and bouts, with the exception of the Lawler/Smith fight, that were not even close to being entertaining. But even the Lawler/Smith fight was stopped prematurely by a doctor who obviously didn't know the rules (after an accidental poke to the eye Smith should have been allowed five full minutes to properly regain his vision before any decision was made).

I've never really watched MMA, but watched Sat night out of curiosity. That Smith Lawler fight was entertaining. I thought it was pretty interesting that Smith said in the interview that he was probably going to get knocked out eventually, but he wanted to continue anyway. Would a boxer ever say that?

As far as Kimbo goes, he actually did get out of a couple things on the ground, but clearly has issues. But that dude he was fighting had no idea whatsoever how to defend himself from getting hit in the head. You'd think he'd have some training on how to block punches.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    As far as Kimbo goes, he actually did get out of a couple things on the ground, but clearly has issues. But that dude he was fighting had no idea whatsoever how to defend himself from getting hit in the head. You'd think he'd have some training on how to block punches.
    You have to remember that Kimbo Slice made his name as a streetfighter...he never blocked punches, he would just manhandle his opponents for the most part. I'm a casual MMA fan who watches a lot of fights (I still like boxing over MMA), and I agree that the fights were stopped way too early, even the ear popping was a bit too early. That was Kimbo's third ever MMA fight, so he clearly has work to do, and I think EliteXC hyped up the fight way too much as if Kimbo is an MMA legend. He's a streetfighting legend, but at MMA he has a long way to go. He's still the $&*# though. I did like Gina Carano as a fighter (many of you know her as "Crush" on American Gladiators). I've heard that she was a good fighter, but hadn't seen any of her fights until last night...I was impressed.

P.S. I'm currently watching (a few minutes behind) the Jens Pulver-Urijah Faber fight on Versus. I only watched it because it had been hyped ad nauseum by Versus during the Stanley Cup Playoffs, but it has been a really good fight.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I did like Gina Carano as a fighter (many of you know her as "Crush" on American Gladiators). I've heard that she was a good fighter, but hadn't seen any of her fights until last night...I was impressed.
    I've seen a few of her fights and this weekend's was the first that was anywhere close to being any good - but she is still the best female fighter out there.

I didn't watch it, I had no interest in watching it, and I got aggravated when it ran over the alloted time and the local CBS (WRAL) 11:00 news didn't start at 11 and I had to watch it on another channel.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Hey there's a New England DBR mafia or rotary club? I know I joined a group but are we really that organized? Am I a part of it?
    Well, in theory, you, BB, and Ymo are the core cadre of the NE DBR Rotary Club. (Mafia, well, seems very... unlike you all.)

Agreed, with O4D...wish it hadn't run over.

Sorry to hear your campaign is over.

And the skeleton thing in Fish80's yard was an attempt to intimidate him from joining by the Atlanta DBR Mafia. Since they are seeing a drop in membership, well they need to prevent others...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Ah, OK.

Have we gained on bb?

That's the main reason for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    And the skeleton thing in Fish80's yard was an attempt to intimidate him from joining by the Atlanta DBR Mafia. Since they are seeing a drop in membership, well they need to prevent others...
    I won't be intimidated so easily! My foxes will protect! And as a secondary line of defense, I have coyotes. If necessary, we can reactivate the Fairfield County Mafia, made notorious by Muffy and Chad from Greenwich.

The raccoon head is still there. The foxes move it around during the night.

Yesterday I saw a new snake. I haven't looked it up yet, but I'm guessing it's an earth snake. About 12 inches long, thin, grey with a yellow-orange belly and a yellowish band around the neck.

Wink The foxes are part of a cult

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    I won't be intimidated so easily! My foxes will protect! And as a secondary line of defense, I have coyotes. If necessary, we can reactivate the Fairfield County Mafia, made notorious by Muffy and Chad from Greenwich.

The raccoon head is still there. The foxes move it around during the night.

Yesterday I saw a new snake. I haven't looked it up yet, but I'm guessing it's an earth snake. About 12 inches long, thin, grey with a yellow-orange belly and a yellowish band around the neck.
    So long as the snake isn't "red touch yellow, kill a fellow."

Do you live in a state park or something?

Man, got to love old growth forest!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

So long as the snake isn't "red touch yellow, kill a fellow."

Do you live in a state park or something?

Man, got to love old growth forest!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I do live in a forest. Across the street is a state park, and about a mile away is another state park. Beavers and a cormorant in the further park. The area is zoned 2 acre minimum lot size, and no commercial. The closer park was a civil war camp site, and for years one of the high school anthropology teachers was digging up bones.

I love nature and do most of my running in the parks. "Life's been good to me so far."