Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Yeah in the same interview McLagan talks about recording and touring with the Stones on the Some Girls record and tour and Jagger trying to squeeze him
    I suspect the list of people who think Jagger is overly generous with money is rather short.

In 1975, Joe Walsh was an established guitar talent when Henley and Frey asked Walsh to join The Eagles. To this day, Walsh has always been paid as hired help.

In 1990, Jerry Garcia and the rest of The Grateful Dead were very generous sharing concert revenue equally with their new keyboardist (Vince Welnick). At the time, Vince had no work, at all, and was homeless sleeping in a barn. Vince immediately starting making a million dollars a year. The Grateful Dead spent only one day auditioning and making the selection from four local (Bay Area) keyboardist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Who cares? Ain't nobody wanna talk about the Rolling Stones. They're so boring.
    There are obviously a lot of people who like the Dead. But don't get snippy -- there are a lot more people that like the Stones.

I don't see why you have to be so dismissive of a group you don't like. I haven't posted anything in this thread (until now) and from the moment it appeared, my only thought was -- can there be anything more boring than talking about Bill Walton's favorite musical group? I held my tongue (well, my keyboard) because I know there are some who do like the Dead and there is nothing wrong with that. But when you use this thread to take pot shots at a truly great rock and roll group, then I have to respond.

PS I don't especially like Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia either. Everybody has their own taste.

Yeah those amateurs can barely sell out a high school gym. Someone should let Mick and Keif know this rock and roll thing's prolly not going to work out for them.
    Saw the Stones for the first time during the Some Girls tour at the Oakland Coliseum. Was Mick's 35th birthday and our teenage discussion centered around how much longer those geezers were going to keep touring. Jerry vs Keef in the death pool then would have been a tough call, but Keef continues to defy the odds. Add complete blood changes to Switzerland's many charms. And yes, the Coliseum was crappy for baseball, football, and concerts even back then...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Yep, I prefer the Red Rocks version.

IMO, the boys peaked, the last time, with Brent. I loved every show I saw from the summer of 1988 through the summer of 1990. Brent was very good for Jerry.
    Strongly agree! IMO, Fall '89 and Spring '90 were the two best tours during The Grateful Dead's final 15 years (1980-1995). IMO, Brent was a key reason why.
    My first shows were in '89 (both Summer and Fall), and while they were a transformative experience in my life, Brent shoulders much of the reason I got so tuned in so fast. Hearing him belt out Dear Mr Fantasy hooked me. Loved hearing him wail those lyrics.
    I remember being in our dorm in DC when the public pay phone rang in the hallway (no cell phones back then); it was the boyfriend of the Deadhead chick in the basement apartment below me. He was a taper and still to this day is one of the most die hards I know. I answered the phone to hear him tell me that Brent had passed; that was crushing.
    While I was skeptical about both Bruce and Vince, I thoroughly enjoyed what they both brought to the band. That being said, it was never quite the same exuberance as the way Brent shined.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    There are obviously a lot of people who like the Dead. But don't get snippy -- there are a lot more people that like the Stones.

I don't see why you have to be so dismissive of a group you don't like. I haven't posted anything in this thread (until now) and from the moment it appeared, my only thought was -- can there be anything more boring than talking about Bill Walton's favorite musical group? I held my tongue (well, my keyboard) because I know there are some who do like the Dead and there is nothing wrong with that. But when you use this thread to take pot shots at a truly great rock and roll group, then I have to respond.

PS I don't especially like Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia either. Everybody has their own taste.
    But do you like his ties?

First time I saw the Stones, the first few songs were like "meh." Then Keif either came up or down into the groove, and BAM!! I realized why they are the greatest rock and roll band. (And Keif's book is a must-read).

As for the Dead, Bill Graham said it best: "they're not the best at what they do. They're the only ones who do what they do."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    As for the Dead, Bill Graham said it best: "they're not the best at what they do. They're the only ones who do what they do."
    Exactly!

Crunkleton's on Franklin Street is an amazing craft cocktail bar. Really nice craftsman interior. Gary Crunkleton is a very cool guy and asked him what inspired the bar. Without hesitation said the Dead. Had a long discussion about Morning Dew (his favorite Dead song) from the 1977 Cornell show.

Height Street is now kind of a mess, but Alembic is also an exceptional craft cocktail bar. Maybe three blocks from the Dead house on Ashbury.

When I was a kid, it was never, who do you like better, the Dead or the Stones. It was who do you like better, the Beatles or the Stones. And for me it was always the Beatles, until I heard Aftermath.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    But do you like his ties?
    I have a couple of Jerry Garcia Christmas ties that have gotten me some compliments for the past couple years. JG and ties seem like an odd fit but not as odd as the ties that MADD used to sell. I had 2 MADD ties a while back. One was called "scotch under a microscope" and the other was "Bourbon". Always meant to get gin and vodka ties to cover my summer cocktails but never got around to it. DD should market some "yum beer under the microscope" ties. I'd buy a couple.

I have a couple of Jerry Garcia Christmas ties that have gotten me some compliments for the past couple years. JG and ties seem like an odd fit but not as odd as the ties that MADD used to sell. I had 2 MADD ties a while back. One was called "scotch under a microscope" and the other was "Bourbon". Always meant to get gin and vodka ties to cover my summer cocktails but never got around to it. DD should market some "yum beer under the microscope" ties. I'd buy a couple.
    < scratching chin, thinking >

(Extra space inserted before "scratching" and after "thinking" because I get this message from dukebasketballforums for trying to post this <scratching chin, thinking> :

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least four characters.")

Interesting.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I kept the Jerry Garcia tie I had given my father for his 70th birthday. Wish I had kept all of his ties so I could have made something out of them. Maybe my brother-in-law will let me have his ties when he is done with them - I've given him several, including at least one JG tie. I love to pick out ties.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    < scratching chin, thinking >

(Extra space inserted before "scratching" and after "thinking" because I get this message from dukebasketballforums for trying to post this <scratching chin, thinking> :

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least four characters.")

Interesting.
    I guess they weren't math majors.

Relax, I was responding to a post that was very anti-dead. I don't dislike the Rolling Stones, but I didn't want to read about how a keyboard player hated their music from out of the blue in a thread discussing a documentary. If you couldn't tell from the poor grammar, it was a fairly facetious comment indicating that I, personally, did not want to hear about the Rolling Stones in this particular context.

Also, just because something is/was super popular doesn't mean it is "truly great." The Stones made a lot of "hit" songs and made tons of money. I just never found them all that interesting or special. If they're on the radio, I don't turn it off, I guess there's something to be said for that.

You can take Angie, I'll take Althea.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Dancing with the one that brung ya (Duke hoops)...

Was on a rugby club sponsored pub crawl in late March, 1992. Really good overtime hoops game was on TV in a bar and I was singing along loudly to Sugar Mag when Laettner hit the dagger shot vs UK. Love Grant, but Jerry and the boys partially deserve an assistant as well. Would have rimmed out if a Styx song had been playing...A friend of the Devil is a friend of mine.

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    Dancing with the one that brung ya (Duke hoops)...

Was on a rugby club sponsored pub crawl in late March, 1992. Really good overtime hoops game was on TV in a bar and I was singing along loudly to Sugar Mag when Laettner hit the dagger shot vs UK. Love Grant, but Jerry and the boys partially deserve an assistant as well. Would have rimmed out if a Styx song had been playing...A friend of the Devil is a friend of mine.
    The Dead played in Atlanta the night we played UNLV in '90. I decided to tape the game, go to the show,cthencwatch the game after.

Great show.

A UNC friend told me in the post-show parking lot that we got whacked. I went home and taped over the VCR. Still have never seen that game.

The way I see it, the band made my night great when all of my Duke friends had a miserable night.

I didn't want to read about how a keyboard player hated their music from out of the blue in a thread discussing a documentary.
    IMO, it was a keyboard player who blew a 1 in 4 chance of instantly going from being practically unemployed to being in The Grateful Dead making a million dollars a year. He is not the first person to talk down (pay, music, etc.) a blown opportunity. IIRC, it was the only time in his life he had the chance of making a million dollars a year. Ian did a lot of work for The Rolling Stones and they never offered him anything close.

can there be anything more boring than talking about Bill Walton's favorite musical group?
    Yes, talking to, IMO, the all-time greatest college basketball player about college hoops is also equally boring.

IMO, it was a keyboard player who blew a 1 in 4 chance of instantly going from being practically unemployed to being in The Grateful Dead making a million dollars a year. He is not the first person to talk down (pay, music, etc.) a blown opportunity. IIRC, it was the only time in his life he had the chance of making a million dollars a year. Ian did a lot of work for The Rolling Stones and they never offered him anything close.
    My buddy Lusty (a prissy dandy with a significantly less faded tacky shirt) and I took a puddle jumper from Richmond to NYC for the '96 Final Four. The last guy onto our flight, wearing a 40 Acres and a Mule shirt, looked vaguely familiar and sat two rows in front of us. Once we landed and were cruising on the tarmac, Lusty plopped down next to the guy to chat.

When we got to the gate, he came back to get his stuff and asked if I recognized the guy. I said no and he said it was Bruce Hornsby, who he knew from Williamsburg (the colonial one, not the one with the bearded black hatted cowboys).

Ran into Hornsby again in the men's room on Monday. Was with Branford Marsalis and probably thought we were stalking him.

Relax, I was responding to a post that was very anti-dead. I don't dislike the Rolling Stones, but I didn't want to read about how a keyboard player hated their music from out of the blue in a thread discussing a documentary. If you couldn't tell from the poor grammar, it was a fairly facetious comment indicating that I, personally, did not want to hear about the Rolling Stones in this particular context.

Also, just because something is/was super popular doesn't mean it is "truly great." The Stones made a lot of "hit" songs and made tons of money. I just never found them all that interesting or special. If they're on the radio, I don't turn it off, I guess there's something to be said for that.

The Stones are about a whole lot more than their "hits". Many of their album cuts are considered classics in their own right. Sure they have made lots of money, but the bulk of that has actually come from, ahem, touring and merchandising, not unlike a certain iconic band from the Bay Area. And they have had considerable influence over rock music generally over the span of several generations, much more so in my view than the Dead, who have been quite influential in their own right, but arguably in a narrower vein.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    My buddy Lusty (a prissy dandy with a significantly less faded tacky shirt) and I took a puddle jumper from Richmond to NYC for the '96 Final Four. The last guy onto our flight, wearing a 40 Acres and a Mule shirt, looked vaguely familiar and sat two rows in front of us. Once we landed and were cruising on the tarmac, Lusty plopped down next to the guy to chat.

When we got to the gate, he came back to get his stuff and asked if I recognized the guy. I said no and he said it was Bruce Hornsby, who he knew from Williamsburg (the colonial one, not the one with the bearded black hatted cowboys).

Ran into Hornsby again in the men's room on Monday. Was with Branford Marsalis and probably thought we were stalking him.
    One of my degrees is from William & Mary. During my Williamsburg years, I met and started going to Dead shows with Bruce's brother. During the early 80's, Bruce played the local Williamsburg bars and almost always played a few Dead tunes. Sometimes your brother leads you in the right direction.

Bruce loves ACC hoops and is a big UVA fan. I suspect Lusty would agree, Bruce is a good guy!

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    The Stones are about a whole lot more than their "hits". Many of their album cuts are considered classics in their own right. Sure they have made lots of money, but the bulk of that has actually come from, ahem, touring and merchandising, not unlike a certain iconic band from the Bay Area. And they have had considerable influence over rock music generally over the span of several generations, much more so in my view than the Dead, who have been quite influential in their own right, but arguably in a narrower vein.
    Absolutely, IMO, Keith Richards has done as much for rock and roll as Chuck Berry. Fortunately, Keith figured out a way to do it while being nice.