Page 228 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1281782182262272282292302382783287281228 ... LastLast
Results 4,541 to 4,560 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I should think you already have a few Victory beers in your midst. I know I do!! Great win!!! Who's going to Charlotte? I'm considering!!
    We are at the NC coast for the weekend and I did not bring a Victory beer with me. Had a Fullsteam/Bull City Burgers and Brewery collaboration and a Mikeller for the momentous occasion. More to follow.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Beer Fest Beer-Fullsteam/Bull City Burgers and Brewery Collaboration

This was a bomber only available to VIP registrants to the World Beer Festival in Derm last month and fuse ponied up the extra $$ and was kind enough to trade me his "gift" bomber shortly thereafter. Hopefully, he got to share another with some friends that attended with him and got the same product. Labeled as an English mild, I sensed it to be about halfway between an ESB and an amber. Poured a slightly cloudy, medium brown with a modest head. Earthy and floral aromas with lots of dark caramel, woodiness, herbs and more bitterness than I would have expected given the labeling. Had a very mildly astringent palate, too, which was a drawback to an otherwise enjoyable brew sipped over a couple evenings last week. I'd guess IBUs in the 30s and ABV around 5-6% so it would have matched well with BBQ stuff.

Beer Geek Breakfast-Mikkeller Brewing (Denmark)

Ingredients : Water, malt (pils, oat, smoked, caramunich, brown, pale chocolate and chocolate), roasted barley, flaked oats, hops (centennial and cascade), ale yeast and gourmet coffee.

Story: The big breakthrough in the international beer world arose with the clean and simple idea of adding french press coffee to an oatmeal stout. The result ‘Beer Geek Breakfast’ was voted number one stout on the international beer forum Ratebeer.com and kick-started Mikkeller’s international success. At the Danish Beer Festival 2006 Mikkel and Keller had their first official stand with eight different beers to offer. That same year two American distributers travelled all the way to Denmark to court the small brewery, which resulted in Mikkeller signing a distribution deal with the American beer distributor, Shelton Brothers. To cope with the demand, the two brewers started brewing Beer Geek Breakfast at the Danish microbrewery Gourmet Bryggeriet. In the beginning of 2007 Keller left Mikkeller to pursue a career as an editor of the Danish music magazine Soundvenue, and Mikkel continued on his own with the ambition of taking Mikkeller to another level.

Review: This was a 16.9 ounce trader from about 6 months ago from fuse and the weather was just cool enough this week to enjoy it, despite the fires of hell burning in Orange County about 30 miles away . Warmed to almost room temperature, it poured a very dark brown with a modest mocha head. The aromas were of milk chocolate, slightly over-toasted/burned bread and fresh coffee. Tastes matched the scents. I'd guess the IBU about 50, rather hoppy for a regular stout. At 7.5%, the ABV was also a bit high for a regular stout and approached the imperial range. This was a celebration brew last PM but would make a nice breakfast beverage at a tailgate with some French toast casserole and some grilled sausage or applewood bacon. Even with a very gentle pour, it was rather chunky during the last half ounce so be very careful if you purchase when you decant the elixir.

1228822287.jpg

Smuttynose Brewing Old Brown Dog Ale: that was a great beer. I had it without an accompanying meal while watching Clemson self destruct. It was full of flavor, including malt, chocolate, and caramel. 6.7 % ABV, 18 IBU. It was tasty to drink by itself.

Too much travel the next two weeks to keep this up but 12/1 Advent beer #1 is Samuel Smith's Winter Warmer.

What a pleasant beer! It has been many years since I've had it, and it is just a nice all around beer.

Sweet nose, mild floral notes and very clear amber in the glass.

Sweet up front, not much mid palata and very lightly bitter on the finish. Paired really nicely with pumpkin bars and whipped cream dessert.

Sipping on a Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I'm fairly much a sucker for seasonal flavor beers and this one does not disappoint. A nice winter spice beer. Smells and tastes of yummy holiday spices like cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Very drinkable.

Pairs nicely with the holiday gifts that keep on giving, such as the threads here after the football team closes out a spectacular regular season and prepares for the ACC Championship game, as well as reading IC for their take on the rivalry game as well as their recent basketball losses.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Sipping on a Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I'm fairly much a sucker for seasonal flavor beers and this one does not disappoint. A nice winter spice beer. Smells and tastes of yummy holiday spices like cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Very drinkable.

Pairs nicely with the holiday gifts that keep on giving, such as the threads here after the football team closes out a spectacular regular season and prepares for the ACC Championship game, as well as reading IC for their take on the rivalry game as well as their recent basketball losses.
    My son had one of these on draft when he visited his in-laws in Ohio this weekend. Great Lakes is an excellent brewery. I think my Christmas present will be arriving a bit early this year as he sent me a photo of himself holding a 12 ounce bottle of this. He'll be in town next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    My son had one of these on draft when he visited his in-laws in Ohio this weekend. Great Lakes is an excellent brewery. I think my Christmas present will be arriving a bit early this year as he sent me a photo of himself holding a 12 ounce bottle of this. He'll be in town next weekend.
    Children coming home, especially bearing good beer, is an excellent Christmas present!

Mike and I were over at Total Wine and the GL Christmas Ale caught our eye, especially with the sign: "Limit: 2 six-packs." Hmmm...either this is a REALLY GOOD beer or an excellent marketing tactic. I'll go with the former.

Can't get GL Xmas Ale here at Total Wine, will try another place tomorrow.

Did go in front of South Hill's Planning Commission tonight (2nd hurdle) and all went well, now on to Public Hearing next month. Brewery not too far behind

DT's Amber Ale-Duke Taylor Home Brewing

This was good, Chuck. Comparable to just about any amber ale I've had. Poured a clear amber (D'oh!) with a small head. Smelled and tasted like a slightly over-baked almond croissant. Bready/toasty and nutty. Mildly sweet and bitter, a bit more than I'd think for an amber but nicely balanced. I'd guess IBUs about 30 and ABV 5%. I'd be curious to read what CameronBornAndBred and August West think about this. Yes. I'm calling you two out here. Not sure whether fuse will get 1 or 2 of these but I have 2 remaining.
    I'm late to the party as always. I enjoyed 2 of these on consecutive nights over the Thanksgiving holiday. I thought they were good solid beers and concur with DD's review for the most part. Upon pouring in my glass I detected a slight fruity smell. Maybe that was the sweetness DD tasted. I don't know what stage you're at in developing this beer but I think with a tweak or two it will be a very good beer. I have 2 more to taste in my fridge, 1 with a mark through the "B" on the cap and 1 without. Thanks again for these samples and look forward to making the trip to South Hill this spring. AW.

Thanks, needed more fruit as I've now found out from my homebrew supplier....so, as I do an Imperial Stout this week, I have ample cherry flavoring which he recommends I add at the 2nd fermentation level, so I will. Stay tuned!! GO DUKE!! Beat UM!!!

Dirt Wolf-Victory Brewing Company

From the brewers:

"Darkly heroic, Humulus Lupulus (hops) have empowered brews with bite and character since the 11th century. DirtWolf is a tribute to these untamed vines which rise from the earth with the voracity of a “wolf among sheep.” Hops have made an assertive comeback in American craft brewing. Revel in the best U.S. varieties of hops, in their natural, whole flower form, as they bring a vital, pungent reality to the soul of a wild element in our dangerously satisfying DirtWolf Double IPA."

(Damn shame the wolf did not devour the sheep last month.)

From my lips and fingertips:

This DIPA was courtesy of duketaylor and the NCSU tailgate so I'm figuring out how many trips I need to make to his new brewpub next spring/summer when it opens to make restitution for his brews. Poured a medium straw to yellow hue and had all the expected scents from the 4 hop varieties in the final product: Chinook, Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe. The tastes matched the aromas with tropical fruits (grapefruit, pineapple, mango and papaya), pine and resin. Two-row malt is the only one listed but they must have used tons of it as there is a mild caramel/toffee sweetness to the palate, too. No IBUs given but I'd guess 70+ and the ABV is a "healthy" 8.7%. Would pair nicely with spicy Chinese/Indian fare or with hard, sharp cheeses. Ii believe this makes a fine replacement for their Hop Wallop from years past. Thanks, Chuck! I think I've got 2-3 left, so one for my son and one for fuse. I'm expecting reviews from CB&B and August West, too, as they each got one of these from the 6er I think Chuck left in one of our coolers.

Sweet Baby Jesus-DuClaw Brewing

Quite the name (though I'd have probably picked another) for this chocolate peanut butter porter. A shout out to fuse for his selection of this as one of his traders last month. It poured a dark, dark brown with a thick, foamy head. Aroma and tastes were Reese's peanut butter cups with a trace of espresso. Six grains and two hop varieties weigh in at an ABV of 6.5% and IBU of 53, both a bit high for the style but very pleasant. Dessert beer all the way. This is worth a 4 pack or 6er to do some bartering as I'm not sure I could drink more than a couple of these during the fall/winter seasons but definitely worth tasting.

Dr. D, next time you plan on heading north on 85, or if you have some free time to venture up to enjoy a cold beverage please let me know as we can meet at Kahill's and I can guide you on a tour of the site. Everything is moving ahead smoothly so far. Hoping to also build a beer garden outside that can host live entertainment/festivals, etc. Plenty of room for expansion. CT

Dr. D, next time you plan on heading north on 85, or if you have some free time to venture up to enjoy a cold beverage please let me know as we can meet at Kahill's and I can guide you on a tour of the site. Everything is moving ahead smoothly so far. Hoping to also build a beer garden outside that can host live entertainment/festivals, etc. Plenty of room for expansion. CT
    Most certainly. Looking forward to it.

So on this day 80 years ago, prohibition ended. You best believe I'm celebrating this evening!

Sweet Baby Jesus-DuClaw Brewing

Quite the name (though I'd have probably picked another) for this chocolate peanut butter porter. A shout out to fuse for his selection of this as one of his traders last month. It poured a dark, dark brown with a thick, foamy head. Aroma and tastes were Reese's peanut butter cups with a trace of espresso. Six grains and two hop varieties weigh in at an ABV of 6.5% and IBU of 53, both a bit high for the style but very pleasant. Dessert beer all the way. This is worth a 4 pack or 6er to do some bartering as I'm not sure I could drink more than a couple of these during the fall/winter seasons but definitely worth tasting.
    I am re-thinking my decision not to buy the Rogue/Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana ale after tasting this...

Hardywood Park Gingerbread Stout:

I'm still new to sampling multiple brews and rendering a verdict. This brew was rated 100, by BeerAdvocate. Not by me, but I can sense why. Full of flavor and malty without being hoppy, just plain smooth. It's been coined as tasting like Christmas candy, and it does. After a few brews on the golf course today, it was a wonderful desert brew. Even after witnessing a hole-in-one in my group!! Not mine, unfortunately. I'll need to buy a growler to fill for friends to the south since I now know who still has some on tap!! If you guys don't like this brew then I'm at a loss, simple as that!! I now need to go buy a growler or two tomorrow and get them filled!! Stay tuned!!

Hardywood Park Gingerbread Stout:

I'm still new to sampling multiple brews and rendering a verdict. This brew was rated 100, by BeerAdvocate. Not by me, but I can sense why. Full of flavor and malty without being hoppy, just plain smooth. It's been coined as tasting like Christmas candy, and it does. After a few brews on the golf course today, it was a wonderful desert brew. Even after witnessing a hole-in-one in my group!! Not mine, unfortunately. I'll need to buy a growler to fill for friends to the south since I now know who still has some on tap!! If you guys don't like this brew then I'm at a loss, simple as that!! I now need to go buy a growler or two tomorrow and get them filled!! Stay tuned!!
    I've got a family event at Lonerider Brewery at 4PM on Saturday and date night with my wife tomorrow night starting about 8PM...