Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Someone on sports radio this morning was throwing around Pitino as a possible replacement in Pitt.

Are they completely talking out of their posterior, or is this being discussed?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    He turned down a P5 job at Rutgers, his home state, to stay at URI. I would be surprised if he jumped to Pitt.
    As a Jersey guy, I don’t have any difficulty understanding that.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I think UConn is a terrible basketball job now, with their conference affiliation. Pitt would get the nod over URI in many people's minds simply due to the ACC. That said, URI might be a better fit for Danny Hurley. It's closer to his roots, and much more similar in culture to his roots.

I would not try to convince you either is better, only would say UConn is a death bed for future coaches, and Pitt is debatable.
    And a tip of the hat (once again) to BC for relegating UCONN to hoop irrelevance. Thank you, Beagles!

Lorenzo Romar to Pepperdine, Mark Gottfried to California State Northridge (per Los Angeles Times).

The article points out that both were assistant coaches on UCLA's 1995 title team. I mention that because...

And former UCLA coach Jim Harrick could be joining Gottfried.

Harrick said Monday: "I'm back in it," but wouldn't reveal specifics pending a Tuesday news conference.
    This is fun. Bruce Pearl and Kelvin Sampson are back in the NCAA Tournament. Anything goes, and everything old and dirty is new and clean again. Where's the petition to make Rick Pitino the next ACC Commissioner?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    [URL="http://www.latimes.com/la-sp-mark-gottfried-csun-20180312-story.html"]

This is fun. Bruce Pearl and Kelvin Sampson are back in the NCAA Tournament. Anything goes, and everything old and dirty is new and clean again. Where's the petition to make Rick Pitino the next ACC Commissioner?
    I didn't realize Sampson was now HC at Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    And a tip of the hat (once again) to BC for relegating UCONN to hoop irrelevance. Thank you, Beagles!
    A number of years ago, a televised U-CON game featured a lot of their fans in DUCK FUKE tee shirts...and they weren't even playing Duke. Made me despise them even more (which was already at a high level, given the "screw Shavlik Randolph" semi final fiasco and Calhoun's smarmy comments afterwards.

Lorenzo Romar to Pepperdine, Mark Gottfried to California State Northridge (per Los Angeles Times).

The article points out that both were assistant coaches on UCLA's 1995 title team. I mention that because...

Harrick turns 80 this summer. I wonder what his role will be. At this rate, perhaps Myron Piggie and Fats Thomas are in line for assistant jobs somewhere...

LOL.

It is fun, now isn't it?

- Chillin

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Someone on sports radio this morning was throwing around Pitino as a possible replacement in Pitt.

Could the ACC step in? "Umm, that guy has embarrassed this league twice now, so no."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The interview lasted less than a minute ...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I didn't realize Sampson was now HC at Houston.
    Kelvin called me. (clap, clap, clap/clap/clap)

(maybe you had to be at CIS for that game )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Pitt using Fogler Consulting to help with its search

Yes, that Fogler. He's in the basketball headhunting business now! I like some of the guys he's placed (too bad Tony Bennett wasn't on that list), and I'm glad I don't see any unc retreads (DOH!) or suspected sleazeballs on there. So I see this as a good move by Pitt to use a firm run by someone who actually wasn't bad at coaching basketball.

Pitt is learning from its mistakes, when the former AD, Scott "West Coast Basketball Guy" Barnes paid some executive search firm run by his former boss (another AD, not a coach) at least $1,000,000,000,000 to dig up a 55 year old mediocrity like Kevin Stallings before beating feet to Oregon State.

And then those hypocrites had the nerve to give Cam Johnson a hard time when he wanted to transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The interview lasted less than a minute ...
    Thanks. I was in the car and listening to one of my least favorite sports radio programs, so I am pleased to learn it isn't resonating anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Pitt using Fogler Consulting to help with its search

Yes, that Fogler. He's in the basketball headhunting business now! I like some of the guys he's placed (too bad Tony Bennett wasn't on that list), and I'm glad I don't see any unc retreads (DOH!) or suspected sleazeballs on there. So I see this as a good move by Pitt to use a firm run by someone who actually wasn't bad at coaching basketball.

Pitt is learning from its mistakes, when the former AD, Scott "West Coast Basketball Guy" Barnes paid some executive search firm run by his former boss (another AD, not a coach) at least $1,000,000,000,000 to dig up a 55 year old mediocrity like Kevin Stallings before beating feet to Oregon State.

And then those hypocrites had the nerve to give Cam Johnson a hard time when he wanted to transfer.
    I wonder if Fogler will use the Dick-Chaney-heading-the-VP-search-committee trick of '00.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I wonder if Fogler will use the Dick-Chaney-heading-the-VP-search-committee trick of '00.
    Fogler does lots of searches. This is his business now.

Thanks. I was in the car and listening to one of my least favorite sports radio programs, so I am pleased to learn it isn't resonating anywhere else.
    That was a joke about Pitino's "performance" ...

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    That was a joke about Pitino's "performance" ...
    Scenes From an Italian Restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Harrick turns 80 this summer. I wonder what his role will be. At this rate, perhaps Myron Piggie and Fats Thomas are in line for assistant jobs somewhere...
    Academic advisor?

(Do I get 3 points for my answer?)

Well, the current one is also well experienced in, umm, irregularities.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

As two Dean Smith lackies, wonder if Fogler will get Jeff Lebo an interview with Pitt? Or maybe Jordan will find a place on the Hornets bench for Lebo...