Page 98 of 149 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    Who said that about Zion?
    That was a widespread question mark about him coming out of high school. It's one thing to dunk on high school kids, but would his game translate at the next level? That died down after he got to Duke for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    Who said that about Zion?
    Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    That was a widespread question mark about him coming out of high school. It's one thing to dunk on high school kids, but would his game translate at the next level? That died down after he got to Duke for sure.
    Yeah, I remember a lot of talk about him being "just a dunker" who got by on athleticism against high schoolers. But at Duke he showed the skill level to match his athleticism--not to mention that his athleticism wasn't just unmatched by high shcoolers, it was top-of-the-line-NBA athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Is there a 32:00 mark?

- Chillin
    Click on the Megaphone link == https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP8370571633 == to listen to the conversation and fast forward to 32:00 to hear us chat about Paolo's new haircut.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Click on the Megaphone link == https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP8370571633 == to listen to the conversation and fast forward to 32:00 to hear us chat about Paolo's new haircut.
    I was more poking fun that the episode ends at 31:32. But I listened to the hair convo in that final minute of the pod.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    I think it died down after about 10 minutes of the first game of the season . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I think it died down after about 10 minutes of the first game of the season . . .
    You think it took that long?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    You think it took that long?
    I was there. I think it took just over two minutes.

“Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post

The block (steal? stock? bleal?)and ridiculous bounce pass still makes me laugh out loud.

Thanks for posting that. I remember us dominating Kentucky but with the passage of time I forgot just how dominating we were. We had 97 points with more than 9 minutes left to play. What!?

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    The block (steal? stock? bleal?)and ridiculous bounce pass still makes me laugh out loud.
    One of the most amazing sequences I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Zion? I remember those exhibition games in Canada in like July or August. Totally evident that he was sui generis -- roughly translated as "unmatched in nature."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

That was some of the most fun I've ever had watching a regular season game. It's up there with 82-50 and the time JJ went off against Texas back in the 05-06 season for best games since the 2000-2001 season for me (I was a teenager for the 98-01 seasons and there's something about seeing Elton, Corey, Shane, JWill, MikeD, Carlos, etc at that age that will probably never be beaten when it comes to sheer joy and excitement). Our whole team, but Zion, especially, looked like they were playing in an All Star exhibition.
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    That was some of the most fun I've ever had watching a regular season game. It's up there with 82-50 and the time JJ went off against Texas back in the 05-06 season for best games since the 2000-2001 season for me (I was a teenager for the 98-01 seasons and there's something about seeing Elton, Corey, Shane, JWill, MikeD, Carlos, etc at that age that will probably never be beaten when it comes to sheer joy and excitement). Our whole team, but Zion, especially, looked like they were playing in an All Star exhibition.
    Yep, it was astounding. And all those other regular season games were great. The game it most reminded me of was the 1991 ACC-Big East Challenge game against St. John's when Hurley/Laettner/Hill, et. al. looked unstoppable, getting up something like 75-45 midway through the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Yep, it was astounding. And all those other regular season games were great. The game it most reminded me of was the 1991 ACC-Big East Challenge game against St. John's when Hurley/Laettner/Hill, et. al. looked unstoppable, getting up something like 75-45 midway through the second half.
    My favorite one of these was 2009 home games against Maryland. G and Nolan and Scheyer and Singler were an awesome core and they just obliterated general grievous and the twerps.

40-15 at the half.

https://youtu.be/X7fPuYZCG2M

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven's Guardian View Post
    He's going to be awesome when he's 25 and grown into his body, but there's no chance he's the best NCAA freshman next year, so the recruiting rankings don't make much sense from that perspective. Gangly big men foul at such high rates once they have to deal with physicality in college. Paolo is going to be so much better than him next year, and Holmgren will still probably be drafted higher because of that crazy upside.
    Have you seen this kid play? He's not a "big" at all. He's tall, but he's literally a guard. He handles, passes, and has footwork like a 6'0" guard, but in a 7'0" body. He went up against Emoni Bates (the kid who is hyped as the next Kevin Durant), and absolutely destroyed him. As you can clearly see in the video, he's actually the team's point guard, bringing the ball up the floor just about every time.

No one should be surprised if he is the best freshman in the country. We've never seen a guy like him. No disrespect to Emoni, but Chet might actually be the real "next KD."
    Last edited by kAzE; 04-09-2021 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Have you seen this kid play? He's not a "big" at all. He's tall, but he's literally a guard. He handles, passes, and has footwork like a 6'0" guard, but in a 7'0" body. He went up against Emoni Bates (the kid who is hyped as the next Kevin Durant), and absolutely destroyed him. As you can clearly see in the video, he's actually the team's point guard, bringing the ball up the floor just about every time.

No one should be surprised if he is the best freshman in the country. We've never seen a guy like him. No disrespect to Emoni, but Chet might actually be the real "next KD."
    He's going to defend inside, and even in the game against Bates you can see him struggling with physicality. That's against high schoolers. How is he going to deal with the physical play of college seniors? He'll make some nice plays with his length, but if he has to play a physical rebounding team, he's going to get absolutely bodied. He won't get all those wide-open drives to the rim against a proper college defense either, he'll have to finish through contact.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's going to be a bad player or anything, but there's no way I would take him over Paolo for next year. The shooting and length should translate, and slower bigs will be vulnerable off the dribble, but imagine him trying to hold up against UVA with that body.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post

Totally agree with this overall take on Holmgren, though in the “no disrespect to Emoni” department, saying Chet “absolutely destroyed” him is quite a stretch. It was a pretty close game Chet put away down the stretch and Bates had 36 points, and it’s not like they had a ton of one-on-one dueling.

Chet outplayed him and won, and again I agree it’s a mistake to overlook him or disregard him as a skinny big. But let’s not get too carried away.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post

sigh....how did this team NOT win it all
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Another 247 expert (Evan Flood of Badger 247) registered a pick in the Patrick Baldwin crystal ball... for Milwaukee.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...rtPredictions/

The ball stands at 81.2% Milwaukee, 18.8% Duke.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    sigh...how did this team NOT win it all
    Injuries.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block