Page 16 of 149 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    As CDu said better than I did, the calculus is different for everyone. If you come from a well-off family that isn't desperate for the money and might actually enjoy going to school for a year surrounded by peers, college is a pretty good option. Especially compared to being an 18 year old kid traveling the country to low-middle grade hotels competing daily with players making 20% of your salary who see posterizing you as their ticket to the show. If the G-League salary is life changing money for you and your family and/or you really don't have a lot of interest in being in college, the equation is a lot different.

Griffin comes from a wealthy family, his dad can tell him all about the grind of being a pro, and he goes to an academically minded HS. According to Google his dad is pursuing a PhD so school is likely important to his family.

So for Griffin, I think (and it seems many others agree with me) that there is a strong possibility that Griffin will not do this. For others, it makes a ton of sense.
    You’re also missing that Adrian Griffin is - and has been - an NBA assistant coach for a decade and is currently the head assistant coach for the Raptors. According to the google, assistant coaches make between $100,000 to $1,000,000. Yes - the variance is high. But I assume ten years into the job and Griffin is making a lot more than $100,000.

I do not think for a second AJ will leave college for the G-League due to money. But can I see him leaving for development purposes? Yes I can.

Do I think he will? Nope, cus everyone will be saying ‘Coach K is a legend. And his coaching years are very limited.’
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I think a lot of players are going to take a wait-and-see approach. LaMelo Ball and RJ Hampton both went to the NBL in New Zealand this past year, but that didn't lead to an exodus of guys going to New Zealand in the Class of 2020. Additional reporting shows that the G-League has reached out to a lot of the top players in the Class of 2020. Most have rebuffed the offer. This includes Evan Mobley, a top 3 player in the class.

Isaiah Todd is another 5-star recruit in the Class of 2020 that is going to the G-League Select team. There have been a lot of questions about Todd's work ethic, strength, and overall game. Green may well become a top draft pick in '21. But if Todd falters, that's something a borderline pro prospect will have to consider. Heck, Jalen Green fall if he doesn't show the type of fundamentals and overall skill package that many expect him to have. This is a risky move. What happens if Green falters? Does he stay on the G-League Select team until he feels like he'll get a top 5 draft pick in '22 or '23? In college, you can return. Matthew Hurt and Wendell Moore have another 3 years of eligibility at Duke. I doubt the G-League is going to offer that kind of longevity.

Let's all keep in mind that Kevin Garnett went straight to the NBA but hardly anyone (this fellow named Kobe, notwithstanding) followed the next year. It takes a while for successive classes to follow the trailblazers.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I think a lot of players are going to take a wait-and-see approach. LaMelo Ball and RJ Hampton both went to the NBL in New Zealand this past year, but that didn't lead to an exodus of guys going to New Zealand in the Class of 2020. Additional reporting shows that the G-League has reached out to a lot of the top players in the Class of 2020. Most have rebuffed the offer. This includes Evan Mobley, a top 3 player in the class...
    Poor LaMelo. He invested in his NBL team upon his departure. I think he thought he could get a few top players each year to follow his lead.

As CDu said better than I did, the calculus is different for everyone. If you come from a well-off family that isn't desperate for the money and might actually enjoy going to school for a year surrounded by peers, college is a pretty good option. Especially compared to being an 18 year old kid traveling the country to low-middle grade hotels competing daily with players making 20% of your salary who see posterizing you as their ticket to the show. If the G-League salary is life changing money for you and your family and/or you really don't have a lot of interest in being in college, the equation is a lot different.

Griffin comes from a wealthy family, his dad can tell him all about the grind of being a pro, and he goes to an academically minded HS. According to Google his dad is pursuing a PhD so school is likely important to his family.

So for Griffin, I think (and it seems many others agree with me) that there is a strong possibility that Griffin will not do this. For others, it makes a ton of sense.
    I agree that the calculation is different for everyone, and I agree that AJ Griffin seems like he could be more likely than most to still end up in college. But what about Patrick Baldwin and the rest? I have to think at this point that >50% of prospects offered this opportunity will jump at the chance.

A couple more points:
    (1) Adrian Griffin Sr is wealthy. AJ Griffin Jr is not.
    (2) There will still be plenty of kids from families who are not desperate (say, middle class and above) who will choose to sign for $500K and NBA training.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I agree that the calculation is different for everyone, and I agree that AJ Griffin seems like he could be more likely than most to still end up in college. But what about Patrick Baldwin and the rest? I have to think at this point that >50% of prospects offered this opportunity will jump at the chance.

A couple more points:
    (2) There will still be plenty of kids from families who are not desperate (say, middle class and above) who will choose to sign for $500K and NBA training.
    I think you are overstating things a bit. A college education is still worth quite a bit. Heck, a Duke education on it's own is a $250,000+ affair these days. Throw in the coaching, the facilities, the shoes, the stipend, and we're getting well above the $500,000 mark. Granted, that's half a million in one year, more than I'll earn anytime soon. A 1st round contract in the NBA is worth several times more than that, though. A team that can show a player that they can improve their draft stock, that team is going to have a good offer to a young prospect. Show the player how each game your team plays gets millions of viewers. Show the player how many of your alumni are in the NBA and what they have earned.

At the end of the day, this G-League proposal is a one-shot bet. There's no second or third year if things don't work in your favor. It's a show-me contract. You get one year, kid. If it works, it'll be an extra half million that you probably spent anyway on an apartment, maybe a car, who knows what. But that's nothing in comparison to the millions you'll get in the lottery. We're not going to talk about how much you'll earn in Year 2 if the first year doesn't pan out. We'll be on to the next big thing that year. There's this kid Kuminga that's really good. He's going to be the next big thing. You can play in the real G-League with all those former college stars that didn't make it straight to the NBA. They're all 4-7 years older and know what they need to do. And your pay was cut by 90%. Good luck out there, kid.

Yeah, I think the college coaches already know the pitch.

I think you are overstating things a bit. A college education is still worth quite a bit. Heck, a Duke education on it's own is a $250,000+ affair these days. Throw in the coaching, the facilities, the shoes, the stipend, and we're getting well above the $500,000 mark. Granted, that's half a million in one year, more than I'll earn anytime soon. A 1st round contract in the NBA is worth several times more than that, though. A team that can show a player that they can improve their draft stock, that team is going to have a good offer to a young prospect. Show the player how each game your team plays gets millions of viewers. Show the player how many of your alumni are in the NBA and what they have earned.

At the end of the day, this G-League proposal is a one-shot bet. There's no second or third year if things don't work in your favor. It's a show-me contract. You get one year, kid. If it works, it'll be an extra half million that you probably spent anyway on an apartment, maybe a car, who knows what. But that's nothing in comparison to the millions you'll get in the lottery. We're not going to talk about how much you'll earn in Year 2 if the first year doesn't pan out. We'll be on to the next big thing that year. There's this kid Kuminga that's really good. He's going to be the next big thing. You can play in the real G-League with all those former college stars that didn't make it straight to the NBA. They're all 4-7 years older and know what they need to do. And your pay was cut by 90%. Good luck out there, kid.

Yeah, I think the college coaches already know the pitch.
    Ummmm...one year of college - which I all these kids will do - is worth very little. And no, they aren’t returning to Duke to get their degree.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Ummmm...one year of college - which I all these kids will do - is worth very little. And no, they aren’t returning to Duke to get their degree.
    I agree that the one year of college from an academic perspective is worth very little in prospect's minds, but the one year of top notch coaching, facilities, travel and exposure for future marketing purposes certainly holds a fair amount of value...and yeah, Duke being elite academically is really not a consideration to the vast majority although can pay dividends down the road with the connections made from being a part of the brotherhood.

But I certainly agree that these guys don't value a Duke degree (or anywhere else) at the "sticker price" of admission from an academic value perspective. And I don't begrudge them for that either -- it makes sense. Basketball is what's going to earn the very elite prospects the big bucks, not biology.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

A couple more points:
    I'm not sure why I am even bothering to respond to this because at this point you are being ridiculously argumentative and pedantic. But there are plenty of kids who come from nothing who use their first contract to bring their family out of poverty. They aren't making the money for themselves. They are making it for their parents who sacrificed to pay the rent and put food on the table and to help siblings. AJ Griffin clearly does not have to do that. You chose him and Baldwin as examples and would not back down.

I know a lot less about Baldwin than Griffin but given that Baldwin's dad is a D1 head coach who played at Northwestern, I'm guessing that he is likely similar to Griffin. He likely is not at quite the same wealth level as Griffin's family but they are pretty rich by most standards. And I'd like to think that the fact that his dad is a Northwestern alum and also coached there means that education is important.

All that being said, yes, there are plenty of kids for whom this is the right move, as is being demonstrated right now. $500k is a lot of money for many people and there are also plenty of kids who just aren't that excited about college.

I think I'm done with this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I agree that the one year of college from an academic perspective is worth very little in prospect's minds, but the one year of top notch coaching, facilities, travel and exposure for future marketing purposes certainly holds a fair amount of value...and yeah, Duke being elite academically is really not a consideration to the vast majority although can pay dividends down the road with the connections made from being a part of the brotherhood.

But I certainly agree that these guys don't value a Duke degree (or anywhere else) at the "sticker price" of admission from an academic value perspective. And I don't begrudge them for that either -- it makes sense. Basketball is what's going to earn the very elite prospects the big bucks, not biology.
    Luol Deng certainly did. He has a 100 Million plus real estate empire . He took advantage of the Economic Opportunity Zone act that Senator Tim Scott of SC sponsored. He met a class member and befriended Jamie Dimon's daughter the CEO of JP Morgan Chase. Apparently he requested guidance from the USA's most respected banker.

Forbes Deng post basketball success.

I'm not sure why I am even bothering to respond to this because at this point you are being ridiculously argumentative and pedantic.
    Eh, I think you're being overly sensitive to regular conversation, for whatever reason. (BTW, I don't even think we disagree that much, depending on if you agree that most [but not all] prospects will take this deal.)

A series of posts that had nothing to do with 2021 recruiting but instead were talking about the NBA's new GL500K (G-League $500,000) high-school to pro route haev been moved to the thread dealing with that subject.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    A series of posts that had nothing to do with 2021 recruiting but instead were talking about the NBA's new GL500K (G-League $500,000) high-school to pro route haev been moved to the thread dealing with that subject.
    Thank you Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    It would not shock me to see the G League to really go after the top players in the 2021 class. this is just a small sample with the 2020 class and now that they have enough time and the resources (money) I think we will hear more and more about the payers they have contacted.
    But somebody didn't get the memo.

Kennedy Chandler, whom Duke is recruiting, got reached out to by the G League. May or may not have an impact on our pursuit of him.

Jake Weingarten of Stockrisers has tweet out this morning that top PG recruit Kennedy Chandler is holding virtual visits with North Carolina, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Duke.
    Follow-up:

Jake @jakeweingarten

On Thursday, Duke will host five-star junior Kennedy Chandler for his virtual meeting with the staff, he told @Stockrisers. Held ones with Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina as well.

2:39 PM · Apr 18, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Kennedy Chandler, whom Duke is recruiting, got reached out to by the G League. May or may not have an impact on our pursuit of him.
    Memphis Commercial Appeal: What Briarcrest 5-star Kennedy Chandler said about getting recruited by the G League (free, but behind ad wall)

He said his plan is to attend college but that he has discussed playing in the G League with his parents.

"I really don’t know right now," Chandler said. "So I’m going to keep on doing what I’m doing and talk to college coaches and see where I want to go for college."

I like the new G League concept. It's the same as baseball has been doing for many decades.

The college basketball coaches are going to hate it. They'll have to recruit a kid and then re-recruit him away from the G League.

College baseball coaches do it every summer when recruits are drafted by MLB...

but if it's only going to be a a handful of kids accepted into the G League program, the impact across college basketball is virtually non existent. It would apply mainly to the blue bloods like Duke who recruit the very highly ranked HS players. Nothing would change for programs who recruit kids outside the 5 star level which is like 99% of the college basketball programs.

When Baldwin, Griffin or Christie start talking about exploring the G league option, I will get concerned. While Kennedy is a good player, those three are the core of the class.

Rivals Interviews Max Christie

Corey Evans of Rivals posted a Q&A with top SG prospect Max Christie. Christie goes on to say that he wants to commit before his high school basketball season begins in November. During the interview, he talks about some of his main suitors, including Michigan State, Northwestern (his mother is an alma mater), Ohio State, Villanova, Virginia, and Duke. Here is what Christie had to say about Duke and the potential of playing with his friend Patrick Baldwin, Jr.

CE: Another is Duke; how often are they in contact with you?

MC: Duke is in contact with me. Coach K and with his recruiting style, he doesn’t talk to his recruits as much. He has a lot going on and is arguably the greatest coach of all time in college basketball. Coach K has been really busy and Duke has contacted me every now and again but I just think their recruiting style is a little different but Duke has stayed in contact but not as much as the others.

CE: It seems that a lot of the schools on your list are similar ones on Pat Baldwin’s list? Have you two spoken about playing together at all in college?

MC: Yeah, not recently, but we have known each other for a long time. I have known Pat since we were in sixth grade and obviously, we have had some talks here and there, but it hasn’t been anything necessarily huge. I think that it is kind of accidental actually that we have both the same type of schools on our list but yeah, Pat is someone that I am close with and talk to every now and again.
    Duke is seen as a heavy favorite for Christie but the full interview shows that the young man is considering his decision carefully. He notes that academics are important to him. He doesn't see the G-League option as ideal for him and that, no matter where he goes, wants to get a degree at some point. He also wants to be part of a family. Perhaps the family environment he prefers is the Brotherhood.

Corey Evans of Rivals posted a Q&A with top SG prospect Max Christie. Christie goes on to say that he wants to commit before his high school basketball season begins in November. During the interview, he talks about some of his main suitors, including Michigan State, Northwestern (his mother is an alma mater), Ohio State, Villanova, Virginia, and Duke. Here is what Christie had to say about Duke and the potential of playing with his friend Patrick Baldwin, Jr.

Duke is seen as a heavy favorite for Christie but the full interview shows that the young man is considering his decision carefully. He notes that academics are important to him. He doesn't see the G-League option as ideal for him and that, no matter where he goes, wants to get a degree at some point. He also wants to be part of a family. Perhaps the family environment he prefers is the Brotherhood.
    Not so hidden message there -- He wants to hear directly from Coach K.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Not so hidden message there -- He wants to hear directly from Coach K.
    Coach, stop wasting your time with Dr. Fauci and send Max a text!