Page 2982 of 3384 FirstFirst ... 1982248228822932297229802981298229832984299230323082 ... LastLast
Results 59,621 to 59,640 of 67680
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Doing a Neonatal panel discussion this morning with some Neonatologists from all over the world. I was introduced as "One of the world's foremost experts on high frequency ventilation". My poor kids will have to hear that a LOT moving forward.
    I guess the salient question in my mind: Is the frequency beyond the audible range?

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I guess the salient question in my mind: Is the frequency beyond the audible range?
    Oh absolutely not. I basically discussed ventilation of nano-preemies below 600 grams or so occurring between 4 and 15 HZ using an audio speaker in one device and the Bernoulli principle in another. Sound wave displacement in exceptionally small babies causes volume displacement in one of the devices. In the other device, lower flows can be used to ostensibly evacuate gas that is trapped due to lung damage at the distal airway and alveolar level. Pretty contentious panel discussion! I loved it. I had one of the neonatologists say that there weren't enough RCTs to back up some of what I was saying. Partially true. But I did tell him that I do have a deep understanding of ventilation theory, flow dynamics, anatomy & physiology and math related to ventilation, so I live in the domains I have available in the absence of RCTs. Math is still math. Also I like him very much.

Also this makes me sound smarter than I am. All of this is information which was taught to me by some very accomplished researchers and I'm just kind of good at sharing the information.

sobering morning...went to snow rake the roof of the elderly neighbor whom I've helped for years, but with the depth and weight of the snow, and her confined surroundings, I'm going to have to retire from that before I kill myself.

Then I go to the market where a woman in the checkout lane next to me is inquiring about how to get to a certain town (my town). I asked her where she lived, she said my town. Became quite apparent that while she was only 3 miles from her home, she had forgotten how to get there...so I told her to come outside, follow me to my car, then follow me to her street...but before we got rolling she asked if we could backtrack to a gnarly intersection to buy cigarettes. "Is that OK?" No, not Ok, let's get you home. Got her 90% of the way there but then she veered into a corner market (which I think she knows) because she required ciggies...tough situation.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Two monitors. Locked office. Let's go!
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hah. Cannot spork!
    Spoke too soon. I think I am blocked from all games today. Glad we're playing tonight! I can't believe we're underdogs by 6.5. I hope our guys hear about that.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    sobering morning...went to snow rake the roof of the elderly neighbor whom I've helped for years, but with the depth and weight of the snow, and her confined surroundings, I'm going to have to retire from that before I kill myself.

Then I go to the market where a woman in the checkout lane next to me is inquiring about how to get to a certain town (my town). I asked her where she lived, she said my town. Became quite apparent that while she was only 3 miles from her home, she had forgotten how to get there...so I told her to come outside, follow me to my car, then follow me to her street...but before we got rolling she asked if we could backtrack to a gnarly intersection to buy cigarettes. "Is that OK?" No, not Ok, let's get you home. Got her 90% of the way there but then she veered into a corner market (which I think she knows) because she required ciggies...tough situation.
    Ugh. That is dangerous.

It's been a nicely productive day so far.
    ...which is a good thing, since [fill in the blank]

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    It's been a nicely productive day so far.
    ...which is a good thing, since [fill in the blank]
    The only class your kids struggle with is the bourgeoisie.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    The only class your kids struggle with is the bourgeoisie.
    At present, they're writing some pretty darned kickass essays about the themes of urbanization, immigration, prejudice, etc. during the Industrial Age as revealed in the move An American Tail. Can't wait to see what they turn in tomorrow.

At present, they're writing some pretty darned kickass essays about the themes of urbanization, immigration, prejudice, etc. during the Industrial Age as revealed in the move An American Tail. Can't wait to see what they turn in tomorrow.
    Some Disney movies were really forward thinking. That was one of them.

Some Disney movies were really forward thinking. That was one of them.
    ...except it's not Disney.

...except it's not Disney.
    Oh my gosh, how did I not know that?!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Spoke too soon. I think I am blocked from all games today. Glad we're playing tonight! I can't believe we're underdogs by 6.5. I hope our guys hear about that.
    I’m seeing us listed as a 6 point favorite.

Oh my gosh, how did I not know that?!
    *puts on animation nerd hat*
    An American Tail was the first product of the collaboration between Steven Spielberg and animator Don Bluth. Bluth, who cut his animator teeth under the tutelage of the mouse (THAT mouse, not Fievel Mousekewitz), left Disney Studios in 1981 due to "creative differences," as well as a desire for more direct artist control over their creations.
    Bluth went on to make a number of '80s/early '90s creations that are commonly mistaken as Disney productions: The Secret of NIMH was his first major production at the helm of his eponymous breakaway studio, followed by An American Tail and The Land Before Time alongside Spielberg, and then All Dogs Go To Heaven, Anastasia, and a handful of rather less esteemed productions (we won't talk about Rock-a-Doodle) after the split resulting from Spielberg's founding of his own Amblimation Studios.

There's a unc fan colleague in my room right now while I grade homework and listen to basketball. She asked me when Duke plays, and I calmly answered her question before thinking better of my devilish desire to ask when carolina plays.
    I should get a medal or something for that, right?

There's a unc fan colleague in my room right now while I grade homework and listen to basketball. She asked me when Duke plays, and I calmly answered her question before thinking better of my devilish desire to ask when carolina plays.
    Amazing restraint.

Well, the tournament has officially started. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    wow.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Yes, you deserve a medal

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Spoiler Alert if you haven't checked the early game scores.

Now that Maryland is in the Big Ten, UVA has inherited the title of "ACC School Least Likely to Live Up to Tourney Seeding". They lose in the first or second round all the time - always a risky pick. (I didn't enter a pool this year but I did tell someone who asked for my advice to go with Furman as a 1st round upset.)