Page 1882 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 88213821782183218721880188118821883188418921932198223822882 ... LastLast
Results 37,621 to 37,640 of 67405
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Consumer Reports loves their reliability, durability...wife's car is likely a Forester or Outback. Only one thing to think about: as you approach 100,000 (if), be prepared for head gasket issues...Subaru mechanics often advise people to offload the cars before then, just a thought.

Meanwhile: went to the basement to get wood chips, found water everywhere, clogged drain, there's my afternoon!
    Yikes, sump pump involved in the situation?

Consumer Reports loves their reliability, durability...wife's car is likely a Forester or Outback. Only one thing to think about: as you approach 100,000 (if), be prepared for head gasket issues...Subaru mechanics often advise people to offload the cars before then, just a thought.

Meanwhile: went to the basement to get wood chips, found water everywhere, clogged drain, there's my afternoon!
    Yikes! Hope nothing got damaged!

We've a had a few floods from washing machine and water heater malfunctions, but fans and a dehumidifier took care of them with no long term effects.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Oh no!

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Yikes! Hope nothing got damaged!

We've a had a few floods from washing machine and water heater malfunctions, but fans and a dehumidifier took care of them with no long term effects.

-jk
    thanks, i think (uh oh) I have it diagnosed, water softener discharged last night, drain bog clogged...dehumidifier should do the trick, do have some damaged basement carpet which we don't like anyway.
    Houses have a way of keeping you on the ball, or kneeing you in the ....

house was originally plumbed with a drain that has an unfortunate right angle in the basement...it plugged up 15 years ago, I thought I'd get warning signs, but nope, it just ran amok last night...looks manageable..

we are generally very dry in our basement (sandy soil around the house) so no sump pump ever needed...

do have some damaged basement carpet which we don't like anyway.

A blessing in disguise?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Nathan Chen won his 3rd World title earlier today.

You know that feeling you get when you're in the store and your credit card is declined, and you think Oh, crap! Now I have to fix all my auto pay accounts!? Well, that was me this morning. Luckily, my credit card company knows I would not charge anything to Spotify.

Besides that, the spring blooms are beautiful! The red buds are coming out.

house was originally plumbed with a drain that has an unfortunate right angle in the basement...it plugged up 15 years ago, I thought I'd get warning signs, but nope, it just ran amok last night...looks manageable..

we are generally very dry in our basement (sandy soil around the house) so no sump pump ever needed...
    Part of my home automation setup is a pair water detection thingies in my basement. Detection turns off power to my washing machine. I haven't tried to programmatically turn off water to my water heater. It would take replacing the household shutoff valve with something the system could actuate, and I don't want to put that much $$ into it. (Of course, I've now jinxed it...)

I do have a clogged gutter downspout I have to clear. It's about midway in a 2 story drop, just below a small out and back bend. I'm hoping I can pry a small opening there and worm it with coat hanger wire or similar.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Nathan Chen won his 3rd World title earlier today.
    It says a lot about me that if I were to be able to invite any 10 people to dinner to hang out that Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir are absolutely on that list.

Good luck. You seem remarkably sanguine; I'd be cussing more.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    You know that feeling you get when you're in the store and your credit card is declined, and you think Oh, crap! Now I have to fix all my auto pay accounts!? Well, that was me this morning. Luckily, my credit card company knows I would not charge anything to Spotify.

Besides that, the spring blooms are beautiful! The red buds are coming out.
    I haven't been in a store other than Costco since April of last year. I went in to Lowe's, Home Depot and the grocery store. Haven't since, but will soon.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Part of my home automation setup is a pair water detection thingies in my basement. Detection turns off power to my washing machine. I haven't tried to programmatically turn off water to my water heater. It would take replacing the household shutoff valve with something the system could actuate, and I don't want to put that much $$ into it. (Of course, I've now jinxed it...)

I do have a clogged gutter downspout I have to clear. It's about midway in a 2 story drop, just below a small out and back bend. I'm hoping I can pry a small opening there and worm it with coat hanger wire or similar.

-jk
    Will the coat hanger push out the clog or will it just punch through the leaves and leave the clog intact? I guess it depends on how clogged the downspout is. I had a fish tape, but it rusted and then the handle broke. I should probably get a new one. Well, not a fish tape but the plumbing version of it.

I haven't been in a store other than Costco since April of last year. I went in to Lowe's, Home Depot and the grocery store. Haven't since, but will soon.
    That's pretty impressive. We've been pretty wary (and still are) but popped in for take-out and a few other things here and there. Sounds like you've really been Hunkerin' with a capital 'H' and strong apostrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That's pretty impressive. We've been pretty wary (and still are) but popped in for take-out and a few other things here and there. Sounds like you've really been Hunkerin' with a capital 'H' and strong apostrophe.
    I have. It will take me a while to unlearn some of the things I've "learned" over the past year.

I have. It will take me a while to unlearn some of the things I've "learned" over the past year.
    People may not unlearn them. Posted in another thread but in my new company about a third of the people I've met have asked for and received approval from their managers to move and work remotely on a permanent basis. I have no idea what the corporate campus is going to look like but there won't be very many people in it when things return to normal.

I wish this Chemistry class had been available during my undergrad days:

People may not unlearn them. Posted in another thread but in my new company about a third of the people I've met have asked for and received approval from their managers to move and work remotely on a permanent basis. I have no idea what the corporate campus is going to look like but there won't be very many people in it when things return to normal.
    Yeah, we've had a bit of that going on amongst the executive ranks. I know they didn't get compensated for the move so they really must have wanted to move.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 03-27-2021 at 02:33 PM.

Good luck. You seem remarkably sanguine; I'd be cussing more.
    there was plenty of cussing, but I managed to diagnose the problem myself (miraculous, that) and from the discovery of the water to the fixing of the problem, it took only two hours and $360, plus a $20 tip for my man Tony.

No, it was not an outside drain, it's the main drain that serves the toilets, kitchen sink, etc...it developed a blockage which finally ran amok last night when the water softener discharged, excess water backed out of the bathroom sink onto the floor,but damage is minimal...basically just a carpet we don't much like, and a couple days of running the dehumidifier should dry stuff up... In the panorama of possible home disasters, this proved to be a very minor event...

another reason to have a cocktail hour!

(outside of one or two occasions, my shopping life has been in the local small market and Costco for 57 weeks now, have not set foot in a restaurant or store)...now with two jabs we may venture out a bit, but the numbers here are not good right now, so no adventures are planned whatsoever.

Will the coat hanger push out the clog or will it just punch through the leaves and leave the clog intact? I guess it depends on how clogged the downspout is. I had a fish tape, but it rusted and then the handle broke. I should probably get a new one. Well, not a fish tape but the plumbing version of it.
    It's worked for me before (when the clog was near the top). Alas, I wasn't able to make it work this time. I'll call in the pros...

-jk