Page 1010 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 1051091096010001008100910101011101210201060111015102010 ... LastLast
Results 20,181 to 20,200 of 67238
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Short work week with Thanksgiving Thursday.

What's everyone's favorite Holiday?
    I'm going with Thanksgiving, where it's OK to sit around the house and overindulge. In the rust belt, if the weather is nice enough to go outside for a bit of football or a walk in the woods, it's gravy. (ouch).

Mrs. Turk is a Halloween lunatic (double ouch) for no good reason that I can tell.

Here's a holiday "power ranking" column from The Ringer that I found quite entertaining:

https://www.theringer.com/movies/201...moms-christmas
    "Quality is not an option!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    And mine doesn't have his license yet. Different strengths.

I've told my son that I'm the perfect mother for a kid who wants to study classics and linguistics because I'm never going to ask him, "What are you going to do with that major?". He responded, "Yeah, but what am I going to do with that major?" We've talked about it and I successfully pointed out that he doesn't work very hard in the classes the don't light a fire in him. I told him, "You love it. Do it." I'm convinced and I've managed to convince him that educated people are employable, even if we don't know what the job will be yet. I don't see him as a financial services type.

I forgot - mainly cause I'm not having to push him - but Oldest Son is applying to graduate school this year too - meteorologic and atmospheric science programs. He's hoping for UCLA. Florida State, Colorado State, and University of Washington are also on the list.
    Yea, I'm not really sure it matters what you major in anymore in college. The world and economy are changing so fast that everything is becoming obsolete quite rapidly. Does he know how to use a computer? Perhaps the most important skill. Plus, if he gets stymied by his major in the job market, he can always go to graduate school in something else.

I'm envious of your oldest son. I'm a total weather geek and probably should have been a meteorology major somewhere. That graduate program would be very interesting to me (even though I'm a total non-science person).

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Yea, I'm not really sure it matters what you major in anymore in college. The world and economy are changing so fast that everything is becoming obsolete quite rapidly. Does he know how to use a computer? Perhaps the most important skill. Plus, if he gets stymied by his major in the job market, he can always go to graduate school in something else.
    Good point - one key attribute for success is how quickly one can pivot to a new area of growth or opportunity (I hate the term "re-invent"). The second one that I've heard that resonates with me is to not specialize or develop expertise in just one area of study. The trick is to find two areas that intersect.
    "Quality is not an option!"

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Good point - one key attribute for success is how quickly one can pivot to a new area of growth or opportunity (I hate the term "re-invent"). The second one that I've heard that resonates with me is to not specialize or develop expertise in just one area of study. The trick is to find two areas that intersect.
    I agree with you about not specializing in just one area. And you have be flexible over the course of your career. I'm convinced the world will look very different 5 or 10 years from now than it does today. Who knows but maybe 10 years from now, being able to program electric, self-driving cars will be a hugely important job skill? I would also advise any young person, no matter where their interests may lie or what they major in, to develop what I might call the "universal" job and personal skills to succeed in whatever they undertake. You have to be ambitious, willing to work hard, responsible, disciplined, organized, have strong verbal and written skills, know how to work with and relate to a variety of people, have integrity, etc. These skills and attributes will never go out of style.

Let's take a poll... That's a good way to pad stats.

How many miles (round trip) are we traveling for Thanksgiving?

292 by pickup truck here.

Just shy of 360. Can I get extra points for the stressed waistband next Monday?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Just shy of 360. Can I get extra points for the stressed waistband next Monday?
    Make it so... +10 to Gryffindor

Thanks! About to see new movie "Ladybird," so I'm entrusting my pitiful LTE watch to anybody who is so inclined.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

7.4 by Camry Hybrid

0, unless I decide to play in a poker tournament after Turkey day in Cherokee NC. Then, about 190 or so each way.

I’m very upset. Somehow I missed the Pumpkin Pie POP Tarts this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    I’m very upset. Somehow I missed the Pumpkin Pie POP Tarts this year.
    Pumpkin pie between toasted white bread or in a biscuit is close. All hope is not lost.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Hmmm, I'm staying home for Thanksgiving but I am getting up early to go run a race at 8am Thanksgiving morning in Andover. If that counts as Thanksgiving travel - 72 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Technically....zero, unless we're counting the 19 trips to the grocery store before Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Hmmm, I'm staying home for Thanksgiving but I am getting up early to go run a race at 8am Thanksgiving morning in Andover. If that counts as Thanksgiving travel - 72 miles.
    I am impressed and wish you a nice run. It’s gonna be cold in Georgia, gotta think it will be icy where you are.

Good luck. And a happy Turkey Day to all!!!!

May all find peace in the new year, enjoy health and happiness, and may the Sports Gods smile on Duke while frowning mightily on the Cheats!

I just found recipe for egg nog bread. I think I'm going to try it.

1,186 Miles!!!

Gotta go see the Granddaughters in Indiana.

Foggy morning here, really pretty. Leaves finally started coming down in the last week or so.

Everyone asleep but me and the dog.

If I had a Pop Tart, this would be a thing of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I just found recipe for egg nog bread. I think I'm going to try it.
    I’ve baked pound cake with eggnog as the liquid. It’s yummy!

Pumpkin spice vs egg nog - which is better?

Discuss