Duke Football 2023

I just finished the article on 8th grader Arch Manning (SI February 2020) . What are the odds that the family might want him to be coached by Cut ? It’s okay to dream a bit 🙏

If you want to extend that dream, I noted that Eli Manning continued to have children till his 4th child was (finally) a boy. Charles Manning looks to be no more than a year old. Dream Extended.

Larry
    DevilHorse

And Eli comes in now as O C ....

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    If you want to extend that dream, I noted that Eli Manning continued to have children till his 4th child was (finally) a boy. Charles Manning looks to be no more than a year old. Dream Extended.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Eli’s son was born on Super Bowl Sunday last year, iirc.

Arch Manning Suggestion

A general suggestion for Arch Manning, if he really is considering Duke and Coach Cut as a destination (not out of the realm of possibility for obvious reasons).

Commit early!

You have plenty of time to prove your value on the field, and to understand what it is you want in a coach and a school.
    You have more quality advisors than an average (or above average) kid of your age and talent.

But, in the case of Duke, you know what you would be getting in terms of coaching, butwe may not have the caliber of players (on the field) that the big football factories would provide.
    It is a matter of record, that we don't get our share of 5 star football recruits; not as many 5 stars get offers from here that meet the school admission standards.
    If you want to come here, commit early and give the coaching staff a year or two to assemble a recruiting class, and graduate transfers, to make your stay an enhanced experience.

Our guys are a great team each year, and give great effort; they improve with great coaching as well. But we always want to be get the best recruits (who doesn't in all 3 phases of the game). And they want to play with the best players and you would help to make that happen for yourself.

This advice goes for any other high value recruit who would benefit from enhanced teammate skill.

We've seen this effect in basketball, where a high value recruit commits early, and top talent fills in around them.

Worth a thought.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Well, for one to be coached by Cut in 2023, Cut would need a contract extension, and I'm finding that to be less and less likely as each year rolls on. Plus the lad wouldn't come here anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Well, for one to be coached by Cut in 2023, Cut would need a contract extension, and I'm finding that to be less and less likely as each year rolls on. Plus the lad wouldn't come here anyway.
    Early commitment -> Not signed a letter of intent (it is not necessary, till late or at all) -> See if Cut gets extension (that commitment might just earn one)

Do you think, health permitting, Cut would stay around to coach Arch Manning (or perhaps stay on as Quarterbacks Coach under a new head coach)?

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    A general suggestion for Arch Manning, if he really is considering Duke and Coach Cut as a destination (not out of the realm of possibility for obvious reasons).

Commit early!

You have plenty of time to prove your value on the field, and to understand what it is you want in a coach and a school.
    You have more quality advisors than an average (or above average) kid of your age and talent.

But, in the case of Duke, you know what you would be getting in terms of coaching, butwe may not have the caliber of players (on the field) that the big football factories would provide.
    It is a matter of record, that we don't get our share of 5 star football recruits; not as many 5 stars get offers from here that meet the school admission standards.
    If you want to come here, commit early and give the coaching staff a year or two to assemble a recruiting class, and graduate transfers, to make your stay an enhanced experience.

Our guys are a great team each year, and give great effort; they improve with great coaching as well. But we always want to be get the best recruits (who doesn't in all 3 phases of the game). And they want to play with the best players and you would help to make that happen for yourself.

This advice goes for any other high value recruit who would benefit from enhanced teammate skill.

We've seen this effect in basketball, where a high value recruit commits early, and top talent fills in around them.

Worth a thought.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Interesting thought and not a bad strategy, I guess. But I still maintain there is a 0.000000000000000000000001% chance that Arch Manning ever wears a Duke football uniform.

regrettably, the very top QBs just about always pick very high profile teams. Our offensive lines the past few seasons are not of the level required to inspire confidence in a five star QB, as much as Cut may be respected by various Mannings.

regrettably, the very top QBs just about always pick very high profile teams. Our offensive lines the past few seasons are not of the level required to inspire confidence in a five star QB, as much as Cut may be respected by various Mannings.
    The idea is to commit the QB first/early and recruit an offensive line that wants to block for a high profile QB.

On the assumption that the Father, Uncles, and Grandfather might:
    1) have some influence on how to best prepare for the NFL, and where/how to do that
    2) strongly suggest the Coach Cut coaching in college (both uncles might like the small school environment having visited)
    3) feel that more than 1 year would be a smart thing to do to maximize performance

Could stear him toward this type of a solution. There were 8 QB's taken in the first round of the NFL draft this year. I'm sure they had a variety of teams to perform with. If Arch Manning goes to Alabama, and they lose any games, he might be a disappointment. If he goes to Duke, is the goods, and our recruiting improves by 1/2 to 1 star, we can be formidable (just saying).

It's a theory anyway.

Larry
    DevilHorse

^ he's not going to come to Duke, he's going to go to a big time program, unfortunately.

^ he's not going to come to Duke, he's going to go to a big time program, unfortunately.
    Your probably right.
    And Patrick Baldwin Jr. will probably go to Duke and not University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Larry
    DevilHorse

I wish I were wrong...but we've been hoping/expecting Cut to recruit some top QBs for years now and it just doesn't come easy..

Coach Kimel may be more likely to get one of Eli’s kids. There is a long-standing pipeline from Summit HS to Duke women’s lax.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Coach Kimel may be more likely to get one of Eli’s kids. There is a long-standing pipeline from Summit HS to Duke women’s lax.
    Eli's oldest kids are girls and I'm pretty sure they go/went to Kent Place (also a good lax school). I'm not 100% sure they are still living in Summit.

Looks like Arch is interested in a lot of the top programs and might visit the trash dump down the road from Duke:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...?ocid=msedgntp.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."