Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    The mid-Atlantic winter has been colder and wetter than it was last year. As a result, a lot of the migratory Canada and Snow geese have been delayed from starting north. That changed this past week and I hear and see them non-stop flying over my house right now.

This is a live webcam from a wildlife management area not far from where we live that serves as a stopover destination on their way north. They roost on the lake and feed on the waste grains in the ag fields in the area.

https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/...ation-live-cam

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    The mid-Atlantic winter has been colder and wetter than it was last year. As a result, a lot of the migratory Canada and Snow geese have been delayed from starting north. That changed this past week and I hear and see them non-stop flying over my house right now.

This is a live webcam from a wildlife management area not far from where we live that serves as a stopover destination on their way north. They roost on the lake and feed on the waste grains in the ag fields in the area.

https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/...ation-live-cam
    if you're chatting with them, tell them to wait a week before proceeding North, things are ugly here now, should be fine next week...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    if you're chatting with them, tell them to wait a week before proceeding North, things are ugly here now, should be fine next week...
    I am known to speak 'honk' on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I am known to speak 'honk' on occasion.
    excellent! It's truly an annual ultra high point to hear the gooses honking overhead as they move northward...at least there's a lot of open water for them now (and we have a lot of golf courses).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    excellent! It's truly an annual ultra high point to hear the gooses honking overhead as they move northward...at least there's a lot of open water for them now (and we have a lot of golf courses).
    Yeah. We'd been snow-covered most of February and it's been cold down here, too. They're a bit later than normal so I'm assuming they won't linger all that long. Past week has been up around 50 and some rain so all the ag fields have cleared.

Just got done reading a travelogue called The Snow Geese about a guy that follows the migration from Texas to the Arctic. Book was okay but got me itching to go anywhere besides my back porch for a change!

Will start putting sunflower seeds out shortly.
    Removed my satalite dish .using the pole to mount a bird feeder.
    Had a wild rooster walking around the otherday.that or someone has a pet they arr not supposed to and it got out.

Good news for an esteemed poster! Sage Grouse reproduction in Wyoming holds steady in 2020:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/News/Sage-grous...steady-in-2020

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Do you ever run into Sibley, Pete Dunne, Michael O'Brien or the other well-known birders who are there?
    I haven't. This is the first year I have been able to enjoy the area off season and fully appreciate all the nature here. I was completely blown away by the Monarch migration this fall too.

I am just starting to get to know the local experts. I should take your lead here and see if any of them have enough connections to your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    They have also caused a stir here on Ocracoke.
    Are they still in Ocracoke? Ours was still in the area today - I kept waiting for him to head north. Relatedly, I am hearing reports that our Ospreys are starting to arrive.

Badin lake has lots of common loons still hanging around. Central NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    I haven't. This is the first year I have been able to enjoy the area off season and fully appreciate all the nature here. I was completely blown away by the Monarch migration this fall too.

I am just starting to get to know the local experts. I should take your lead here and see if any of them have enough connections to your list.
    You might check in at the Cape May Bird Observatory. I don't know how active Pete Dunne is these days; I gather Sibley is mostly in New England, but Michael O'Brien is around Cape May unless leading an international bird trip.

It gets hot and heavy in September and October. On my last trip to Cape May in fall migration -- the aforementioned were standing on a spoil bank near the ferry dock identifying migrating warblers flying overhead by their "chip notes." A little intimidating, but everyone is nice and helpful.

And the hawk watch is a really good place to hang out. I promise you will soon be able to tell Sharp-shinned Hawks from Cooper's Hawks on the wing.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Just an FYI - you may want to clean your feeders or even take them down for a period according to this article in the News & Observer. I've seen similar articles in other locales in the south.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Just an FYI - you may want to clean your feeders or even take them down for a period according to this article in the News & Observer. I've seen similar articles in other locales in the south.
    Is this because the basketball season is over?

-just kidding

There was a virus going around a few years ago that was killing house finches but it has abated for the most part..

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    There was a virus going around a few years ago that was killing house finches but it has abated for the most part..
    This seems to be more related to salmonella and it is a problem because it spreads through their feces.

In happier news I got a couple pics yesterday. It was woodpecker Wednesday in my back yard. Here's a Pileated, a Northern Flicker and a male Downey woodpecker.
    P1020958.jpg
    P1020927.jpg
    P1020893.jpg
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    This seems to be more related to salmonella and it is a problem because it spreads through their feces.

In happier news I got a couple pics yesterday. It was woodpecker Wednesday in my back yard. Here's a Pileated, a Northern Flicker and a male Downey woodpecker.
    P1020958.jpg
    P1020927.jpg
    P1020893.jpg
    Very nice!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

There's a pair of Wood Ducks that roost outside of our place at SML. I've tried to get a pic of the male a few times. It's difficult because they are only there in the early morning hours. I'm going to work on getting a better shot of him this Spring. Here's the best I've done so far.
    WoodDuck.jpg
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    There's a pair of Wood Ducks that roost outside of our place at SML. I've tried to get a pic of the male a few times. It's difficult because they are only there in the early morning hours. I'm going to work on getting a better shot of him this Spring. Here's the best I've done so far.
    WoodDuck.jpg
    Great pic!

Happy to see our annual pair of mating kestrels is back in the yard, looking for another fruitful year of reproduction...seems a bit early for them...

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Smith Mountain Lake?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013