Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Oh Oh

Thad Lewis and Leon Wright, both 20, were cited in chapel hill last night for underage drinking.
    http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2959759/
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I'm shocked.

College kids drinking, how amazing. We would permit them to go to war for our country and protect ALL of us at 18. Something seems very wrong here.

Test for Coach Cut - citations

http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2959759/

Thad Lewis and Leon Wright were cited for underage possession . . . on Franklin Street!

On Franklin Street or in a bar on Franklin Street

Is it really news when you can't write anything that makes sense? Either way, Cutcliffe will punish them appropriately. Just not a big deal. Smarten up and play on.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    College kids drinking, how amazing. We would permit them to go to war for our country and protect ALL of us at 18. Something seems very wrong here.
    Right or wrong you know athletes are held to a higher standard than the average student.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Right or wrong you know athletes are held to a higher standard than the average student.
    Sure they are. And that's why Coach Cutcliffe will also punish them. If they weren't athletes, only their momma would be mad. They made a mistake, will be punished, and it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    Sure they are. And that's why Coach Cutcliffe will also punish them. If they weren't athletes, only their momma would be mad. They made a mistake, will be punished, and it's over.
    Yep.

A typical punishment for such as offense would be stadium steps at 6 AM for a week.

guys need to be smarter. franklin street, Chapel Hill?

so... more weight loss?

Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    Yep.

A typical punishment for such as offense would be stadium steps at 6 AM for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    guys need to be smarter. franklin street, Chapel Hill?
    Look on the bright side. Instead of drinking and getting in fights, they're just drinking now.

Look on the bright side. Instead of drinking and getting in fights, they're just drinking now.
    And no BB guns. Big step forward.

Yep.

For missing class they also carry cinder blocks. i wonder what they will carry for this.

How about making them listen to Barbara Kingsolver give a Commencement Speech? That should stop them from doing anything wrong EVER again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    For missing class they also carry cinder blocks. i wonder what they will carry for this.
    clearly they will be carrying cases of beer.

Forgettable commencement speeches

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    How about making them listen to Barbara Kingsolver give a Commencement Speech? That should stop them from doing anything wrong EVER again.
    Or, perhaps make them sit in the rain and listen to Barbara Kingsolver give a commencement speech?

At least they didn't jump off a balcony into a wading pool. That would've been REALLY stupid.

Kids these days...I never drank at Duke until I was 21 AND all my studying was complete. Shammrog can testify to that (got a smoke to go with my suds, Rog?)

perspective

As others have posted, underage drinking by college students is hardly the worst or most unusual crime out there. However, it is a crime and does deserve punishment -- especially from scholarship athletes who ARE held to a higher standard of conduct.

I don't see this one as a big test for Coach Cut ... I'm sure the two players will be punished and that their punishment will take the form of some kind of brutal running regime -- I recall when Richmond Flowers was cited for the same thing, I know that to punish him, Coach Goldsmith took him to the practice field and had him run sprints until he puked ...

Over the years, a number of Duke athletes have been cited for this violation -- Hurley and Wojo are two who come to mind. I can't recall any of them ever missing a game or even sitting out a portion of a game as punishment. I is ALWAYS handled internally.

Multiple offenses ... that would be different. Drunk driving, that would be different. But underage drinking -- well, I'm glad the drinking age was 21 when I was in college.

Multiple offenses ... that would be different. Drunk driving, that would be different. But underage drinking -- well, I'm glad the drinking age was 21 when I was in college.
    You mean 18, right? I thought us old schools fellas benefited from the law being under 18.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    You mean 18, right? I thought us old schools fellas benefited from the law being under 18.
    Heck, the drinking age was 21 when I was at Duke, and I spent most of my freshman year blasted. Sure, Coach K begged me repeatedly to come out for the team ("Hurley?!" Coach K said to me, "Hurley?! You think I can win a national championship with Hurley running the point? I need ya, Dave! Duke needs ya!"). But I turned him down so that I could continue to swill alcohol in a consequence-free environement.