Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Consideration

Feasible path? Technically, yes. Likely, certainly not. In fact, one might argue that this team is not deserving of a trip to the tournament, even in a Covid season. This team is on the brink of a losing season. I would love for them to have a miracle run in the conference tournament. But the good shooting that we saw recently based on the season's numbers appears to have been an aberration. And good shooting doesn't fix other problems...it merely serves as a cosmetic cover.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    well, if Clemson (33) would get in top 30 and Notre Dame (82) and NC State (76) would get in the top 75 of Net Duke would instantly gain 3 Q1 wins.. crazy. two of those are very possible. Go Tigers.. Go State.. not sure it would do anything but it would give Duke two more instant top wins per the committee
    Pretty crazy that we are actually ranked ahead of Clemson in Kenpom...and many other tournament teams. Oh, what could have been...

Winning the 8/9 and then playing a rested FSU in the second game of a back to back is a TOUGH TOUGH task. And if they win that then the next day winning against a Louisville or a Clemson?? We're kinda at this stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZYg4ZbcOPQ

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    All very true. Our path is very, very narrow, and more unlikely than not. But in the world of March Madness, I'd argue "madder" things have happened. One example: in 2016 Michigan entered the Big Ten tourney well on the wrong side of the cut-line after losing 4 of their last 5 conference games. As the eight seed, they squeaked out an OT win against Northwestern in their first tourney game, but then upset a No. 10 ranked Indiana team with a buzzer beater from a very unlikely shot (Kam Chatman, a former 5-star recruit who had fallen completely out of the rotation and was a very poor perimeter shooter, eventually transferring away). They squeezed into the tourney as one of the last four in. And that Michigan team was much less talented than our current squad, and I'd argue the upset over Indiana was more of a stretch than us beating Virginia (who we've already beaten) or FSU would be.

I, for one, am going to try to enjoy the switch in mindset to rooting for a group of scrappy underdogs wearing the Duke uniform, a situation we haven't faced in literally a generation. And it's a group of scrappy underdogs for whom the end goal, making the tournament, isn't completely out of reach, which means there are still real stakes for our remaining games. That's worth remembering, IMHO.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    All very true. Our path is very, very narrow, and more unlikely than not. But in the world of March Madness, I'd argue "madder" things have happened. One example: in 2016 Michigan entered the Big Ten tourney well on the wrong side of the cut-line after losing 4 of their last 5 conference games. As the eight seed, they squeaked out an OT win against Northwestern in their first tourney game, but then upset a No. 10 ranked Indiana team with a buzzer beater from a very unlikely shot (Kam Chatman, a former 5-star recruit who had fallen completely out of the rotation and was a very poor perimeter shooter, eventually transferring away). They squeezed into the tourney as one of the last four in. And that Michigan team was much less talented than our current squad, and I'd argue the upset over Indiana was more of a stretch than us beating Virginia (who we've already beaten) or FSU would be.

I, for one, am going to try to enjoy the switch in mindset to rooting for a group of scrappy underdogs wearing the Duke uniform, a situation we haven't faced in literally a generation. And it's a group of scrappy underdogs for whom the end goal, making the tournament, isn't completely out of reach, which means there are still real stakes for our remaining games. That's worth remembering, IMHO.
    Agreed. And still, remember that we have vastly improved our position in the last four weeks.

Amen scottdude8. I am holding on to that hope. Stranger things have happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    Amen scottdude8. I am holding on to that hope. Stranger things have happened before.
    I'm trying to talk myself into some hope for the Carolina game.

After performing extensive research (i.e. listening to last week's DBR podcast) I have learned that there may be a loophole for us to get in. During the period of time after the brackets are announced Sunday evening through 48 hours later, if any team tests positive for COVID and has to drop out then the next best team that was left out will take their place. There will be no reseeding, which sounds insane but that's what the NCAA is going with. So given that roughly 10-20% of games every day get canceled, I have to assume a handful of teams will have to pull out especially given the conference tournaments that are happening beforehand. So here is my plan:

Duke just needs to be in the first four out to still have a glimmer of hope of getting in. To be clear, I am not saying in any way that I HOPE for teams to get covid. But I do think that realistically speaking, it's going to happen. In particular I am looking at Baylor as a team that has already endured multiple covid pauses this season. Their home games are filled with fans in relatively high numbers and their governor just ended the state's mask mandate and all restrictions. Can you imagine how fast the internet would explode if Baylor had to pull out of the tournament and Duke slid into their spot as a #1 seed? But even if we are not that fortunate, I do think there's a good possibilty that two or three extra teams get a surprise invitation. So that's my plan - beat UNC, win one game in the ACCT before losing another close one, get left out of Selection Sunday, but then get a surprise call a day later while we're preparing for the NIT where we learn that we're in the big dance after all. Given everything our team has been through and the extra stringent protocols that Duke puts in place, it would only be fitting if we were to benefit in this manner.

While we're on the topic, the fact that the NCAA is choosing not to reseed the region in the event of a replacement is absolutely bonkers. All of the teams are already physically present in the same city! Yes there would be some logistics in terms of schedule and knowing what team needs to be at what arena and what featured TV games would be on CBS versus TNT. But seriously, they're going to allow a bubble team to slip into a potentially high seed?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    After performing extensive research (i.e. listening to last week's DBR podcast) I have learned that there may be a loophole for us to get in. During the period of time after the brackets are announced Sunday evening through 48 hours later, if any team tests positive for COVID and has to drop out then the next best team that was left out will take their place. There will be no reseeding, which sounds insane but that's what the NCAA is going with. So given that roughly 10-20% of games every day get canceled, I have to assume a handful of teams will have to pull out especially given the conference tournaments that are happening beforehand. So here is my plan:

Duke just needs to be in the first four out to still have a glimmer of hope of getting in. To be clear, I am not saying in any way that I HOPE for teams to get covid. But I do think that realistically speaking, it's going to happen. In particular I am looking at Baylor as a team that has already endured multiple covid pauses this season. Their home games are filled with fans in relatively high numbers and their governor just ended the state's mask mandate and all restrictions. Can you imagine how fast the internet would explode if Baylor had to pull out of the tournament and Duke slid into their spot as a #1 seed? But even if we are not that fortunate, I do think there's a good possibilty that two or three extra teams get a surprise invitation. So that's my plan - beat UNC, win one game in the ACCT before losing another close one, get left out of Selection Sunday, but then get a surprise call a day later while we're preparing for the NIT where we learn that we're in the big dance after all. Given everything our team has been through and the extra stringent protocols that Duke puts in place, it would only be fitting if we were to benefit in this manner.

While we're on the topic, the fact that the NCAA is choosing not to reseed the region in the event of a replacement is absolutely bonkers. All of the teams are already physically present in the same city! Yes there would be some logistics in terms of schedule and knowing what team needs to be at what arena and what featured TV games would be on CBS versus TNT. But seriously, they're going to allow a bubble team to slip into a potentially high seed?
    Haha I didn't want to go down this rabbit hole in any of my amateur bracketology because it makes everything so much more complicated... not only are we competing for an at-large bid, but we could be competing to be the "first team out" if something like this were to happen.

As per the reseeding, I heard some talking heads actually make a good point, which is that this decision could very well be motivated by all of the interest (and money!) generated by people filling out brackets. If they reseeded the entire tourney a day before, how would your office pool work? It's a lot easier to just slide one team in and wash your hands of it. Not that it's the right decision, but we all know what drives the NCAA's decision making...
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Winning the 8/9 and then playing a rested FSU in the second game of a back to back is a TOUGH TOUGH task. And if they win that then the next day winning against a Louisville or a Clemson?? We're kinda at this stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZYg4ZbcOPQ
    Our path could be either “easier” or tougher than the tough task you’ve noted. We could still wind up as ACCT 10 seed, thus probably avoiding FSU (whew), but needing to win 4 straight (blech) rather than “just” 3, merely to reach the ACCT final. We’ll be in the 8/9 slot if either Syracuse loses at home to Clemson (this aft, 5 pm, ACCN) or Pack lose on road at ND (7 pm, ACCN). If both Orange and Pack win, we’re a lot closer to 10-seed.

As per the reseeding, I heard some talking heads actually make a good point, which is that this decision could very well be motivated by all of the interest (and money!) generated by people filling out brackets. If they reseeded the entire tourney a day before, how would your office pool work? It's a lot easier to just slide one team in and wash your hands of it. Not that it's the right decision, but we all know what drives the NCAA's decision making...
    The cutoff for substituting a team is Tuesday at 6pm, which would still leave a day and a half until your brackets are due. Granted some people start thinking about it Sunday night and obssess over their picks nonstop for four days, but those folks will just have to deal.

Let me put the question a little differently: do we deserve to go to the NCAA tournament this year? As much as it hurts to say, my answer is no. This team has not shown the consistent quality to merit a bid. Don’t get me wrong, I love support and root for them with all of my heart and soul. We’ve just been conditioned to thinking of the NCAA as the Duke invitational so obviously we should be getting a bid, and we worry about seeding. This year it’s been what two or three things we need to do to secure our rightful bid, what paths are still open, etc. Maybe this year it’s somebody else’s turn. I know I’d be pissed if I was from a mid major or lower conference, had a good season, and didn’t get the bid because the blue blood (albeit the right shade of blue) eked out a win or two in its conference tournament. Just saying; a little humility goes along way.
    All of that having been said, I would not turn down a bid if offered. Go Duke!

Choosing today to look on the bright side of life: No one has managed to beat us in regulation over the past 6 games. Looking ahead, if Steward and Roach get over the freshman wall and/or regain their mojo between now and Saturday, anything can happen. And if not, hello 2021-22!

Duke slipping toward 10 seed in ACCT. Syracuse just beat Clemson. Duke loss at Heels combined with no Pack losses this week gets us to a Tuesday game.

Pack at ND starting soon, ACCN.

Go ND.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I mean, it's kinda like a regional, in that 10 gets you out of the 1 side and into the 2 side. You'd rather beat Carolina, but avoiding Florida State has its charms.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I mean, it's kinda like a regional, in that 10 gets you out of the 1 side and into the 2 side. You'd rather beat Carolina, but avoiding Florida State has its charms.
    Hey, we're all shooting for the moon at this point, right? Best UNC, then beat FSU. Then watch everyone rush back to the bandwagon.

Or, beat UNC and then lose to FSU. It would make for a super weird season if we never played them.

Just... Beat UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    An interesting twist according to my analysis is that if we beat unc in chapel hill then we will play unc in the 8/9 game 4 days later.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    An interesting twist according to my analysis is that if we beat unc in chapel hill then we will play unc in the 8/9 game 4 days later.
    My source says if we beat UNC, we get Syracuse in 8/9. UNC seems to hold tiebreaker over Syracuse. They split in regular season, but UNC has better winning % than does Syracuse against (presumed #1) FSU: .500 v. .000.
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 03-03-2021 at 08:35 PM.

There is no value in playing Syracuse in Greensboro. None.

(had to)

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine