Page 132 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 3263
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Very much agree with this, and really appreciate that aspect of the show. I've described it to others as post-post-apocalyptic, since it's set two decades after the initial event instead of right afterwards when everything is chaos. I love how they've explored several different flavors of "this is how humans might end up living" - [spoiler, I guess] we've got a military led, faintly fascistic feeling world in the Boston of the first couple episodes, isolation with no society at all with Bill and Frank, guerilla warlord stuff in Kansas City, a commune in Jackson, a religious cult in Colorado. I don't know the video game, but I suspect it's the game's structuring that led to this. Since each level in a video game is supposed to include new and different challenges for a player to size up and overcome, it was probably natural for the designers to try and make each stage of the journey a totally different navigation task. It would have been boring to just have Joel and Ellie go from one FEDRA-controlled city to another.

Anyway, I like that it's not asking the question of "What would happen if society collapsed?" and then focusing on the angles of the immediate aftermath and how survivors find one another, like most other shows/films of the genre. It's more interested in "If society collapsed would/could it ever be constructed again?" I'd love to see a season set another 20-30 years down the road when Joel's gone and perhaps Ellie's in a key position somewhere. I guess eventually you'd have to decide on one dominant social structure (or extinction), which could make it less interesting. But in the meantime there's still a lot to play with. Does anyone even want to recreate human society circa 2003? In another generation, will anyone even remember what it was like and how it was structured?
    Well put.

Shrinking, Anyone?

Enjoying this new one on Apple TV with my wife. Harrison Ford and Jason Segel are basically playing an amalgam of every character they've ever portrayed, but it works, and Jessica Williams adds a lot to the group chemistry. The Bill Lawrence tone is very evident here - the characters have issues and problems and backstory but, as with Ted Lasso, it's all tackled with a light touch and a sense of optimism, instead of just endless wallowing in the darkness.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Time for another 100-word review. This time, Everything Everywhere All At Once goes under the microscope: http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/04...verything.html

I'll tell you right now, even though the year is barely 25% complete, I strongly suspect EEAAO will be on my year-end top ten list. It would take a lot lot lot of really great movies to knock this wild masterpiece out of my top ten.
    The Oscars (for which there was surprisingly no thread this year) agrees! And thanks to your posts about it, it was the first Oscar winner that I've seen in the theater in a long time.
    (My girlfriend still thinks it was weird as hell. "That bizarre movie we saw sure is getting lots of awards tonight".)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The Oscars (for which there was surprisingly no thread this year) agrees! And thanks to your posts about it, it was the first Oscar winner that I've seen in the theater in a long time.
    (My girlfriend still thinks it was weird as hell. "That bizarre movie we saw sure is getting lots of awards tonight".)
    Did you like it? It seems to be one of those movies that the critics love and I can’t find anyone that I know that likes it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Did you like it? It seems to be one of those movies that the critics love and I can’t find anyone that I know that likes it.
    I totally did, thought it was great. It was just lots of fun. Like I said, GF thought differently than I did.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Well, the Flixster audience score, compiled from the ratings of more than 2500 normal folks who saw the movie, is 88% positive.

It ain't for everyone -- largely, I suspect, because some people start seeing multiversal jumping and just tune out -- but the vast majority of people who see this film really admire it. Frankly, I almost wish it didn't have any of the multiverse stuff** because, at its core, it is a story about relationships and family and choosing your path in life.

-Jason "**- though if it did not have this, I would not be crying while watching two rocks talk to each other" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Well, the Flixster audience score, compiled from the ratings of more than 2500 normal folks who saw the movie, is 88% positive.

It ain't for everyone -- largely, I suspect, because some people start seeing multiversal jumping and just tune out -- but the vast majority of people who see this film really admire it. Frankly, I almost wish it didn't have any of the multiverse stuff** because, at its core, it is a story about relationships and family and choosing your path in life.

-Jason "**- though if it did not have this, I would not be crying while watching two rocks talk to each other" Evans
    No idea what “multiverse” means. But it sounds like a comic book thing. 🤷

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    No idea what “multiverse” means. But it sounds like a comic book thing. 🤷
    Well, I do know Professor Han did not cover it in his book, The Secret Life of Quanta.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Well, I do know Professor Han did not cover it in his book, The Secret Life of Quanta.
    Well, apparently, the multiverse was only one of the many things Han did not cover in this book.

Well, apparently, the multiverse was only one of the many things Han did not cover in this book.
    Sure — the version WE have.

I read that book! It certainty didn’t help me understand what was going on in Everything, Everywhere, All at Once.

Professor Han was probably the most engaging professor I had at Duke - certainly the most engaging science/math/engineering prof. To further connect Prof Han to this thread topic, he deserves great respect for referencing The Hunt for Red October several times in a physics class. Sadly, it looks like he passed away in 2006.

As for the EEAAO, I’d give it high marks for creativity and I enjoyed the humor, but I spent so much effort trying to understand the multiverse/bagel stuff that the personal/emotional aspects didn’t fully resonant with me. When I checked the online discussions afterwards, I was a little surprised to read so many comments from people stating that the movie had a big emotional impact on them. Then again, I don’t have much personal familiarity with the immigrant experience or mother/daughter relationships, so I may not be as in tune with these themes as others.

Watching the Oscar telecast itself, it was good to see that David Byrne is still David Byrne.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    I read that book! It certainty didn’t help me understand what was going on in Everything, Everywhere, All at Once.

Professor Han was probably the most engaging professor I had at Duke - certainly the most engaging science/math/engineering prof. To further connect Prof Han to this thread topic, he deserves great respect for referencing The Hunt for Red October several times in a physics class. Sadly, it looks like he passed away in 2006.

As for the EEAAO, I’d give it high marks for creativity and I enjoyed the humor, but I spent so much effort trying to understand the multiverse/bagel stuff that the personal/emotional aspects didn’t fully resonant with me. When I checked the online discussions afterwards, I was a little surprised to read so many comments from people stating that the movie had a big emotional impact on them. Then again, I don’t have much personal familiarity with the immigrant experience or mother/daughter relationships, so I may not be as in tune with these themes as others.

Watching the Oscar telecast itself, it was good to see that David Byrne is still David Byrne.
    Speaking of David Byrne 60 Minutes had a great segment on him recently. Very interesting fellow.

Maybe it was in the follow up The Probable Universe: An Owner's Guide to Quantum Physics. He was one of my favorite professors. I learned after taking his class that he was on the short list for a Nobel Prize.

It isn't going to win any awards, but you could do a lot worse than to spend a breezy 90 minutes with Jane Fonda and Lilly Tomlin in their new film Moving On. Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2023/0...moving-on.html

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

He’s baaaack!

Believe!

If Top Gun saved movies, John Wick 4 is its successor. Yet another movie that demands to be seen on a big screen. Here is my gushing 100-Word Review
    https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2023/0...john-wick.html

One scene, featuring Wick using incendiary rounds in an extended no-cut single-take, is jaw-dropping.

If Top Gun saved movies, John Wick 4 is its successor. Yet another movie that demands to be seen on a big screen. Here is my gushing 100-Word Review
    https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2023/0...john-wick.html

Does anybody get killed in this one?

Does anybody get killed in this one?
    Wick dies five minutes in. The rest of the 2:50 run time is various characters from the previous movies doing loving eulogies. It ends with him being buried next to the puppy from the first film.

Wick dies five minutes in. The rest of the 2:50 run time is various characters from the previous movies doing loving eulogies. It ends with him being buried next to the puppy from the first film.
    Hey! No spoilers!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Hey! No spoilers!

-jk
    That’s not the spoiler. The spoiler is how John Wick spontaneously regenerates at the cellular level. That’s why the film has the title John Wick: Chapter 4 - Paramecium.