Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm not trying to doubt you (and certainly don't want you to out your source), it is just a weird thing to offer (for two reasons). One, it would be weird in general for a coach to take a demotion like that and go from HC to position coach at the same school while another coach takes over. If there are examples of this happening elsewhere, they have to be few and far between. Two, if Scottie were interested in returning to the position coach level he could do much better than ECU (no offense to ECU). Dude has impeccable credentials as a WR coach, including NFL experience. No reason he would not at least go to a P5 program, or maybe even back to the NFL. It is just a weird thing for ECU to offer. Making that kind of an offer is almost more of a slap in the face than just firing him straight up for poor performance.
    And on top of that, the new coach might not be so thrilled that he'd have to stick with a guy at a position that he may have wanted to bring in someone else for.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I hear Fedora may be going to Stetson to put in the Chapeau Offense...might just be a rumor, though.
    May be some truth to that as he ran the Chapeau Hill offense for the last 7 years.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I'm guessing rumor, given you're all hat and no cattle. It's not like the Bluebonnet Bowl(er) is still around to try to get to.
    Can't top that!

So what position will Cut offer Scottie?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Can't top that!
    Thanks-- you could've just tipped your cap to me.

Thanks-- you could've just tipped your cap to me.
    DBR: always brimming with excitement/compliments

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    DBR: always brimming with excitement/compliments
    Visor men than me roam these parts -- I just try to stay on top of things to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    And on top of that, the new coach might not be so thrilled that he'd have to stick with a guy at a position that he may have wanted to bring in someone else for.
    May have been a goodwill offer as much as anything, after the Ruffin debacle. My friend does a lot with employment law, so there may have been some cya there.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Visor men than me roam these parts -- I just try to stay on top of things to keep up.
    PunHits.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Someone please put a lid on these puns. It’s beanie-th this board.

Yarmulke over there and put a lid on you if you try to tam(p) this down.

Yarmulke over there and put a lid on you if you try to tam(p) this down.
    time for a night cap...

I think the original plan was to wait on Scottie’s firing. Either the Houston offer by Charlotte or another somewhere else expedited the situation.

Also, I understand the issue of firing a coach mid season but this was the scheduled end. The early signing period has sped up the process of getting a new coach in.

UNC is filling out their roster with some puzzling hires...First there is retired coach, Greg Robinson who drove Syracuse into the ground and last served as an DC at San Jose State. The other is Tommy Thigpen as a Co-DC who has never been a coordinator in his life.

https://247sports.com/college/north-...rs--125566934/

Robinson, 67, coached with Brown at Texas as co-defensive coordinator in 2004 and as a replacement defensive coordinator starting two games into the 2013 season after starting the season as a team analyst. In between those two stints, Robinson was the head coach at Syracuse (2005-08), posting a 5-37 record, and defensive coordinator at Michigan (2009-10).

At Syracuse, Robinson posted two seasons with double-digit losses. The 5-27 mark was the worst record for a non-interim coach in the history of the program. Robinson was 2–25 in Big East play. He was fired at the end of the 2008 season.

Robinson announced his retirement in 2015 after two seasons serving as the defensive coordinator at San Jose State.

Thigpen, who played under Brown at UNC and described his former coach as his mentor in an interview with Inside Carolina this summer, joined Larry Fedora’s coaching staff as the safeties coach in January. He had spent the previous five seasons as the linebackers coach at Tennessee, where he also served as defensive run game coordinator in 2016.
    https://247sports.com/college/north-...ch--125585102/

The other announced hire is Dre Bly coming back to town. Most recent coaching experience is as an assistant high school coach. This is his first college coach job.

Both Thigpen and Bly played for Mack Brown in his first go round at UNC. Robinson was previously on staff with Brown at Texas. Looks like Carolina and Brown are "keeping it in the family". Making sure they hire folks they know will uphold the ideals and principles that Carolina holds dear.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    UNC is filling out their roster with some puzzling hires...First there is retired coach, Greg Robinson who drove Syracuse into the ground and last served as an DC at San Jose State. The other is Tommy Thigpen as a Co-DC who has never been a coordinator in his life.

The other announced hire is Dre Bly coming back to town. Most recent coaching experience is as an assistant high school coach. This is his first college coach job.

Both Thigpen and Bly played for Mack Brown in his first go round at UNC. Robinson was previously on staff with Brown at Texas. Looks like Carolina and Brown are "keeping it in the family". Making sure they hire folks they know will uphold the ideals and principles that Carolina holds dear.
    When you buy the old coach out for $12M, the budget is stretched thin I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

Interesting hires, indeed. I hope they continue their winning ways .

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    When you buy the old coach out for $12M, the budget is stretched thin I guess.
    Not to mention $18M++ on legal and PR fees to escape punishment after 23 years of rampant academic and athletic cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Not to mention $18M++ on legal and PR fees to escape punishment after 23 years of rampant academic and athletic cheating.
    True, although that $18M saved them a multiple of that plus some banners.

Love lawyers and hate lawyers — but you get what you pay for. They had great lawyers.

This is Carolina's problem - they almost have to keep hiring from within, to retain and perpetuate the 'Carolina System' (which I rather suspect still hasn't really changed - have they ever actually confessed to anything beyond getting caught?). Rank outsiders would quickly start smelling something 'rank'.

The Kliff Kingsbury--No UNC rumors are starting to look very credible. UNC's dream staff is really looking like a combination of the nursing home and some "recruiters." I would start looking for Greg Davis (age 67) to come out of retirement for a couple years. Maybe Chris Keldorf or Jason Stanicek can play QB.