Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...tar-heels/amp/

I would say, yes he is. How much interest is there on the Heels side of things?

How many coaches are successful a second time around? especially now that he's collecting social security? I'd have to think he's burned a fair number of bridges when he left for Texas.
    Any sane Heel fan would take Mack in a heartbeat.

Yes, I understand that may be a null set if graphed.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ... may be a null set if graphed.
    Like a sweater without sleeves ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Like a sweater without sleeves ...
    Like a school withou scruples ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    So that makes two UNC head coaches getting fired this weekend. I never understood the Withers to Texas State move (on his part). He was perched at an FCS juggernaut in JMU and seemingly could have parlayed that into some much better job than one of the worst in FBS at Texas State.
    Assuming Montgomery is gone, he joins Mike McIntyre as former Duke assistants under Cut who have been fired as head coaches this month. I wouldn't be too smug.

Coaches are hired to be fired.

USC

kept Clay Helton. Fanbase is LIVID.

Helton btw started as a grad assistant at Duke under Fred Goldsmith.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    Scottie Mo is rumored to be out at ECU, awaiting official outcome to be as early as today.
    ECU put out a statement a couple weeks ago saying they would not make any decisions until the end of the season. (Which is against NCSU in a game scheduled to make up for the games they both missed due to Florence.)

"Will not make any decisions until the end of the season" pretty much translates to "we made up our decision and will announce his firing after we lose to State".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    ECU put out a statement a couple weeks ago saying they would not make any decisions until the end of the season. (Which is against NCSU in a game scheduled to make up for the games they both missed due to Florence.)

"Will not make any decisions until the end of the season" pretty much translates to "we made up our decision and will announce his firing after we lose to State".
    Would they take Fedora since he can work for free and screw the Cheats.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Would they take Fedora since he can work for free and screw the Cheats.
    Maybe he can finally win the unc-ECU game. And I'd be happy for him that day!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Scottie addresses his job status during a press conference focusing on the State game.

On Talks With Dr. Cecil Stanton Or Dave Hart About Job Security:

“If I’ve had any conversations, those are private conversations.”

On Whether Results Deserve Another Year And On The Faith Of Pirate Nation:

“That’s something that I don’t know. Like you said, it’s an opinion and I don’t want to get into opinions. My opinion is that I’m going to go work as hard as I can this week to make sure that we have an opportunity to beat the NC State Wolfpack. The other part, it’s hard for me to say too because I don’t know every single person in Pirate Nation.”
    https://www.witn.com/content/news/Mo...501264691.html

I didn't realize Kurt Roper was the interim HC for Colorado after Mac was fired; lost to finish 0-1.

Scottie Montgomery officially released from ECU, and will not coach the NC State game per the DG show. I figured he was out but am a little surprised they didn't keep him for this game. I guess they didn't want him to win and then have to re-debate whether he should go after wins over unc and NC State. Hope he lands on his feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Scottie Montgomery officially released from ECU, and will not coach the NC State game per the DG show. I figured he was out but am a little surprised they didn't keep him for this game. I guess they didn't want him to win and then have to re-debate whether he should go after wins over unc and NC State. Hope he lands on his feet!
    I'm surprised as well, especially seeing that they released a statement a couple weeks ago that no action would be taken until the season was over.
    The university says the decision was made after consultation with the ECU Board of Trustees and special advisor for athletics Dave Hart.
    https://www.witn.com/content/news/SO...501556641.html

At least this allows Scottie to get a jump on his next job. I have no doubt that he will be coaching next year, just a matter of where and at what position.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    ... I have no doubt that he will be coaching next year, just a matter of where and at what position.
    We could put the 2008 band back together with Scottie, Kurt, and Mac.

I saw an interview with the JMU coach who has an FCS playoff game this weekend, saying he was offered the Charlotte job, and mentioning how Charlotte was closer to family. He was forthright, which was refreshing. Didn't say he had accepted (and maybe he hasn't officially; or hasn't signed anything) and he wants to focus on the playoffs. I like it when coaches stay with their team through the season and don't go jump to the new job before that season's business is finished (such as skipping out on a bowl), and I like it when a coach is direct and honest like JMU's Houston was in admitting the Charlotte offer (that is, not saying "we're not going to talk about that right now"). Similarly, I dislike when coaches are fired mid-season like Coach Mac or Scottie -- just let them finish out the season, absent some horrible malfeasance or incompetence (35-0 to WFU qualifies). There's gotta be a way to arrange the bowl and recruiting calendar so coaches can complete every season, then there can be some sort of "open season" on coach movement, then a period for high schoolers to re-think given the movement. Having firings, hirings, signing day, and Christmas all jumbled together is not ideal, in my opinion.

Scottie knows a little about receiving.

Duke receivers could use a little coaching up.

Nah. Makes too much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Scottie knows a little about receiving.

Duke receivers could use a little coaching up.

Nah. Makes too much sense.
    I think he may have been offered that role with ECU before he was released.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDevil View Post
    I think he may have been offered that role with ECU before he was released.
    Really? There can't be much precedent for that kind of move within the same program. Where did you see/hear that?

I hear Fedora may be going to Stetson to put in the Chapeau Offense...might just be a rumor, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Really? There can't be much precedent for that kind of move within the same program. Where did you see/hear that?
    Well, I'd hate to get my source in trouble, but someone from ECU not in the program, but involved in the mechanics of decisions like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDevil View Post
    Well, I'd hate to get my source in trouble, but someone from ECU not in the program, but involved in the mechanics of decisions like this.
    I'm not trying to doubt you (and certainly don't want you to out your source), it is just a weird thing to offer (for two reasons). One, it would be weird in general for a coach to take a demotion like that and go from HC to position coach at the same school while another coach takes over. If there are examples of this happening elsewhere, they have to be few and far between. Two, if Scottie were interested in returning to the position coach level he could do much better than ECU (no offense to ECU). Dude has impeccable credentials as a WR coach, including NFL experience. No reason he would not at least go to a P5 program, or maybe even back to the NFL. It is just a weird thing for ECU to offer. Making that kind of an offer is almost more of a slap in the face than just firing him straight up for poor performance.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I hear Fedora may be going to Stetson to put in the Chapeau Offense...might just be a rumor, though.
    I'm guessing rumor, given you're all hat and no cattle. It's not like the Bluebonnet Bowl(er) is still around to try to get to.