Page 2266 of 3384 FirstFirst ... 126617662166221622562264226522662267226822762316236627663266 ... LastLast
Results 45,301 to 45,320 of 67671
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’m betting you can use the money as rolling paper.

In all seriousness though — what are the player pieces?
    cowboy boot, Otis the dog, guitar, amp, drum, and tour bus.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I don't feel like the Dead would approve of this.
    Bob Weir is one of the creators. According to Amazon, "created in part in Bob Weir's living room."

Hmmm. I don't feel like the Dead should approve of it.

Seems, uh, not on brand.
    On that, we agree.

But interesting info from aimo so I guess I need to reconsider. Perhaps it’s flattering, even if it is more capitalistic than their history prior to Jerry’s passing?

On that, we agree.

But interesting info from aimo so I guess I need to reconsider. Perhaps it’s flattering, even if it is more capitalistic than their history prior to Jerry’s passing?

Another Bob Ross situation?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I swear by my Chacos. They're not the cheapest, but they last like crazy. I positively live in mine for fully half the year.
    Another Chaco fan here!

-jk

Hmmm. I don't feel like the Dead should approve of it.

Seems, uh, not on brand.
    then maybe I shouldn't tell you about my Grateful Dead crocs!

dead crocs.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Not that dark. And less deceptively unhappy trees.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Hah! We just watched that documentary. Another childhood hero knocked off the pedestal and into the happy little trees.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    then maybe I shouldn't tell you about my Grateful Dead crocs!

dead crocs.jpg
    Oh my. Grateful Dead crocs with socks?!?!

Oh my. Grateful Dead crocs with socks?!?!
    What if you wore them with an official Jerry Garcia tie?

On that, we agree.

And how...

It’s been 25 years since the Grateful Dead played their last show at Chicago’s Soldier Field on July 9, 1995. A month later, on Aug. 9, founding member and idolized frontman Jerry Garcia was dead of a heart attack. But the music never stopped, and in the decades since, Garcia’s legend has grown — and so has the business of the Dead, which has become a premier brand to partners in apparel (James Perse) and footwear (in July, a Grateful Dead Nike sneaker series sold out instantly, with shoes now going for thousands on eBay), furniture and decor, accessories and even beauty products (vegan Grateful Dead deodorant, anyone?).

I hope that's your standard uniform during audit season.

I’ve got a few Jerry ties.

And lots of great, if somewhat warped, memories.

[/B]

And how...

It’s been 25 years since the Grateful Dead played their last show at Chicago’s Soldier Field on July 9, 1995. A month later, on Aug. 9, founding member and idolized frontman Jerry Garcia was dead of a heart attack. But the music never stopped, and in the decades since, Garcia’s legend has grown — and so has the business of the Dead, which has become a premier brand to partners in apparel (James Perse) and footwear (in July, a Grateful Dead Nike sneaker series sold out instantly, with shoes now going for thousands on eBay), furniture and decor, accessories and even beauty products (vegan Grateful Dead deodorant, anyone?).
    More power to ‘em. They put all of their non-squandered money back into the sound for years — the Wall of Sound is a great example. One of the hardest touring band for decades, they never really saw much money until the late ‘80’s because they gave the music away for free through allowing bootlegs. In fact, they even set up taping sections starting in ‘85 (IIRC) to allow folks to openly bring in and set up complex recording equipment. Unprecedented.

A77CE70B-50CF-4E01-B929-D3748BB32218.jpg

They built the brand with lots of sweat equity. You can’t do 120 shows a year when you’re pushing 80.

More power to ‘em. They put all of their non-squandered money back into the sound for years — the Wall of Sound is a great example. One of the hardest touring band for decades, they never really saw much money until the late ‘80’s because they gave the music away for free through allowing bootlegs. In fact, they even set up taping sections starting in ‘85 (IIRC) to allow folks to openly bring in and set up complex recording equipment. Unprecedented.

They built the brand with lots of sweat equity. You can’t do 120 shows a year when you’re pushing 80.
    Oh, yeah. I don't begrudge anyone taking the money ever whether its a high school basketball phenom making the leap straight to the NBA or a bunch of old peace and love songsters way past their prime. At the same time, makes me appreciate the choices of guys like Bill Watterson all the more.

4503A339-4BF1-40BA-952A-4C7BB7390030.jpg

“Formerly the Warlocks” show, taping section, Hampton VA October ‘87.

Oh, yeah. I don't begrudge anyone taking the money ever whether its a high school basketball phenom making the leap straight to the NBA or a bunch of old peace and love songsters way past their prime. At the same time, makes me appreciate the choices of guys like Bill Watterson all the more.
    I saw this quote from BW (via Wikipedia) on why he quit:

This isn't as hard to understand as people try to make it. By the end of ten years, I'd said pretty much everything I had come there to say. It's always better to leave the party early. If I had rolled along with the strip's popularity and repeated myself for another five, ten, or twenty years, the people now "grieving" for Calvin and Hobbes would be wishing me dead and cursing newspapers for running tedious, ancient strips like mine instead of acquiring fresher, livelier talent. And I'd be agreeing with them. I think some of the reason Calvin and Hobbes still finds an audience today is because I chose not to run the wheels off it. I've never regretted stopping when I did.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_W...vin_and_Hobbes

Respect. It takes a brave and self-aware soul to know when to stop and go out on top. Very rare in any endeavor.

Perhaps it’s flattering, even if it is more capitalistic than their history prior to Jerry’s passing?
    The Grateful Dead, and its soul, died with Garcia. Every major decision required Jerry’s approval and he never placed money first. The spirit changed in August 1995, which became extremely evident with the pathetic handling of Jerry’s guitars and wishes for them. Replacing Jerry with a guy who publicly used the n-word is, IMO, going from one awesome extreme to the opposite.

4503A339-4BF1-40BA-952A-4C7BB7390030.jpg

“Formerly the Warlocks” show, taping section, Hampton VA October ‘87.
    1989 - the second show was absolutely incredible! The best of Hampton and that speaks volumes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    1989 - the second show was absolutely incredible! The best of Hampton and that speaks volumes!
    Sorry, of course it was ‘89. Part of that hazy memory I mentioned before.

All the years combine,
    They melt into a dream . . . .

I
    Respect. It takes a brave and self-aware soul to know when to stop and go out on top. Very rare in any endeavor.
    Strongly agree! Jim Brown is another great example.