Page 1948 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 94814481848189819381946194719481949195019581998204824482948 ... LastLast
Results 38,941 to 38,960 of 67370
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I had to memorize the order of the Chinese dynasties in either 7th or 8th grade. I no longer remember this information.
    I know I posted about it on FB, did I mention here too about memorizing the poem Paul Revere's Ride by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Best sushi spot in the mid-Atlantic?
    I would put M sushi in Durham up against anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I am also a Duke Historian, emphasis on Asian History, ask me any question about sushi, anything.
    My roommate for Freshman and Junior year was a history major with an emphasis on Asia. He often talked about the Meiji era. This half-Japanese kid knew nothing on the topic. Other than my grandmother's family came to the US during that era. And that my grandfather's stint at BU for his Masters was a few years after that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I know. People who have finished the Boston Marathon sometimes try to be humble about it, but really, we like telling everybody all the time that we've done it. It's a failing. I always somehow manage to mention that I've done it 5 times but then I get all humble and confess that I've only finished it 4 times.
    Most people brag if they finish a footlong sub at Subway so something as cool as a marathon should be discussed

It's a Dyson Ball Animal 2 and it is awesome. It arrived yesterday.
    I'm still waiting for the in depth vacuum cleaner review. Or at least the infomercial version.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    had a huge, breathe right-shaped raw sore on my nose for 2 weeks.
    I'm sorry, but this made me more than chortle.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I'm still waiting for the in depth vacuum cleaner review. Or at least the infomercial version.
    I'll put the ETA on that review at 2 weeks. Too much going on with that useless data right now. I shouldn't be typing this, I should be coding macros.

I have a virtual Duke reunion event this evening.

I just got reamed in an email by a PI (Primary Investigator for you non-research folks). Luckily, I was taught to fight with words, not fists (not even with hot pink boxing gloves). His response to MY response came down quite a few tones. Even signed off with Cheers. Wanker!

I know I posted about it on FB, did I mention here too about memorizing the poem Paul Revere's Ride by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow?
    We did that in 5th grade, I believe.

I memorized the whole thing, all 10 stanzas as a Bicentennial project and recited it in the backyard while the neighborhood kids acted out the story behind me on the 200th anniversary of the event (On the 18th of April in '75 . . . ). We invited the parents and some of my classmates to come. We had a small audience of maybe 20 people. Brother Hal played Paul Revere.

I've decided to do it again for the 250th. I can still recite the first 2 stanzas, so, I'm not starting from scratch. I'm sure I'll be able to talk some of my theater friends into acting it out behind me. Or maybe I'll get neighborhood kids.

I memorized the whole thing, all 10 stanzas as a Bicentennial project and recited it in the backyard while the neighborhood kids acted out the story behind me on the 200th anniversary of the event (On the 18th of April in '75 . . . ). We invited the parents and some of my classmates to come. We had a small audience of maybe 20 people. Brother Hal played Paul Revere.

I've decided to do it again for the 250th. I can still recite the first 2 stanzas, so, I'm not starting from scratch. I'm sure I'll be able to talk some of my theater friends into acting it out behind me. Or maybe I'll get neighborhood kids.
    Ugh, a reminder of time passing. I memorized You're a Grand Old Flag for the Bicentennial. I had no idea what a Cranky Hanky Panky was. I still don't But I'm sure it was something cute for 5 year olds to sing.

I can remember multiple times in childhood when I got together with the kids from 3-4 other families who lived on our street and we "put on a show" in somebody's driveway or backyard. All the parents would come and watch us. Did anybody else do this as kids? (My kids have never done this.)

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Best sushi spot in the mid-Atlantic?
    Bermuda?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I am also a Duke Historian, emphasis on Asian History, ask me any question about sushi, anything.
    Pretty sure old sushi’s no good.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Same with convenience store sushi, unless you’re actually in Asia. Holy moly, their 7-11s are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Isn’t a lot of sushi flash frozen? I seem to recall that from Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

Ok. So I got feedback from the CEO when he approached my coworkers. The feedback was: we know he is successful and does a great job, but he operates differently from us and utilizes more resources than we do. I replied that I am successful BECAUSE I operate differently than they do and utilize my resources. Perhaps I am a case study in Dunning Kruger, but I consciously made the decision to do things differently and utilize resources and I think this makes my numbers the best in the country. Perplexed at their reaction. They all do things rhe exact same way, I do not. But there is no self-examination from them. Only rationalizations for why my numbers are so good. Maybe I'm wrong here?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Same with convenience store sushi, unless you’re actually in Asia. Holy moly, their 7-11s are amazing.
    I haven't been in a convenience store since early 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I haven't been in a convenience store since early 2020.
    Nor have I. RV travel has been great in that regard, because I just pack my own snacks and pee in the big box behind me when we stop for gas.