Page 100 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 509098991001011021101502006001100 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 67238
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Perhaps true, but, sadly, even if you make the mistake when you're 18 there are some things you can't live down. I didn't say I wanted to remember the cheap shot everytime I watch him play but that doesn't mean I can stop it. Perhaps he'll prove me wrong and if he goes his whole career without another cheap shot I will change my mind about him, perhaps. But for now, I think of him as a guy who would pull something like that and I do expect it to happen again.

Graduation Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Now let's teach our two new, high jumping players to rebound and make foul shots and things could very bright next season. I'm happy with our roster for next year and hope everyone else is too. Remember things could always be alot worse. I overheard one person at this weekends' graduation after the keynote speech turn to a family member who was complaining constantly about the weather and told him "And you thought the weather was bad!"
    Implying that the speech sucked? (Which it did, if you're talking about the one delivered by B. Kingsolver.)

I think it is fair to say that it should be in consideration for label of "worst graduation speech of all time."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I think it is fair to say that it should be in consideration for label of "worst graduation speech of all time."
    wow...I didn't catch the speech in question, but the competition for "worst graduation speech of all time" is pretty stiff.

Had to be bad to best former President George Bush's commencement address in 1998.

tell me more!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    wow...I didn't catch the speech in question, but the competition for "worst graduation speech of all time" is pretty stiff.
    So we're COMPLETELY off topic now but could someone please provide the Cliffs Notes version? I'm intrigued.

New board software

Looks like we moved up to a new version of the board software. What should loyal DBR readers expect (aside from a subtly changed posting interface and a dramatically changed User CP)?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Looks like we moved up to a new version of the board software. What should loyal DBR readers expect (aside from a subtly changed posting interface and a dramatically changed User CP)?
    I was trying to search earlier today, and one no longer has to answer correctly a Duke-related question. One simply has to type the string of characters in a field to the right.

The trouble is, I kept getting a message stating that I did not answer the question correctly. HUH? Did I just hit it at a bad time?

On the bright side, it's a little easier to post links within a message.

Would still like some of the emoticons from snrubchat...

Looks like an improvement.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Is tagging new? I added some to the thread I started

Worst graduation speech? Where I used to teach many moons ago, we had Henry Kissinger. His remarks might have actually been interesting if you could have stayed awake through the drone. Sad, actually.

How about Ken Starr giving a 1.5 hour speech on Whitewater for graduation. That was piss poor.

Practically every Duke graduate thinks that their graduation speech was the worst of all time.

All course, all of y'all are wrong, unless you were in my graduating class. 1984, Katharine Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    Practically every Duke graduate thinks that their graduation speech was the worst of all time.

All course, all of y'all are wrong, unless you were in my graduating class. 1984, Katharine Graham.
    At the very least most of the people listed above were interesting people. I don't know who gave this year's address, but 2007 was the GM CEO. Uh...

In my opinion, Duke has really been whiffing on graduation speakers the last few years, setting aside how good a speaker they actually are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post

In my opinion, Duke has really been whiffing on graduation speakers the last few years, setting aside how good a speaker they actually are.
    I concur

On a more positive note, I thought the student speakers did an excellent job.

I don't know who gave this year's address, but 2007 was the GM CEO. Uh...
    Yeah, but he's got a replica of Coach K court in his house. So at least he's got that going for him.

I understand there were many "memorable" graduation speeches in the past but this years may have raised (lowered) the bar to a record that may stand for centuries.

Duke doesn't get as many high profile speakers because they don't pay for them. Even small schools like Middlebury got Bill Clinton a couple years ago because they pay big bucks. Although admittedly we did get Kofi Annan (although I think he didn't end up showing) and Madeline Albright fairly recently. Our last four speakers were only because of their relation to Duke. Ricardo Lagos, President of Chile, got his PhD at Duke. John Hope Franklin is a Duke professor. Rick Wagoner, CEO of GM, is a Duke grad, a Duke father, on the board of trustees (or used to, at least), and is head of financial aid initiative. And Barbara Kingsolver is a Duke parent (daughter is class of 2009). Her speech was pretty political at times - went on and on about green energy for a while. I think Wagoner was much better. I think last year's student speaker (the Blue Devil mascot) was better than the student speakers this year as well. Although the students this year were good as well, just not as good. Do they really need such a long introduction from Lange though? Sorry for continuing the hijacking of this thread....

If I mentioned that "W" will be the commencement speaker at Furman this year will that move it to the Public Policy board?

It's true and some interesting discussions are developing among the faculty and students.

At the very least most of the people listed above were interesting people. I don't know who gave this year's address, but 2007 was the GM CEO. Uh...

I would love to have had Rick Wagoner. We had in my year (2003) Nan Keohane reading excerpts from a speech Kofi Annan was supposed to give but couldn't because he was "sick."