Page 783 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 28368373377378178278378478579383388312831783 ... LastLast
Results 15,641 to 15,660 of 67385
    I have contributed to Cyber Monday!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

One down, OMG to go. The next one is a doozy.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Happy Saturday, everyone.

When I got home last night, the forms were installed for the new patio. I hope we have a week of dry weather so the patio can be poured and the fence installed. I want to move everyhing back down so my car can go in the garage.
    And I'm tired of living in a fish bowl.
    With bad weather coming our way, they worked late the last two nights. I now have a patio poured! Yee Haw! Hopefully, I will be able to move things onto it this weekend and get my garage back! My car would like to be inside on these cold nights.

This evidence final is going to be so much fun! - said no one ever.

(Side note: The professor held a review session today. I seriously wondered if I was in the same class all semester as some of these people.)

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    This evidence final is going to be so much fun! - said no one ever.

(Side note: The professor held a review session today. I seriously wondered if I was in the same class all semester as some of these people.)
    Evidence is a subject that practitioners wrestle with on a constant basis. And many times, you make an argument whether you are right or wrong. Think through the problem, then argue like hell.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Evidence is a subject that practitioners wrestle with on a constant basis. And many times, you make an argument whether you are right or wrong. Think through the problem, then argue like hell.

Good luck!
    Thanks (again)!

I could use a bit of different advice- what do you suggest to remember all the rules/elements/exemptions/exceptions? (for any class.) I just have problems straight up memorizing.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Thanks (again)!

I could use a bit of different advice- what do you suggest to remember all the rules/elements/exemptions/exceptions? (for any class.) I just have problems straight up memorizing.
    Although not a substitute for knowing the rules, it helps me to think of the purposes behind each rule. The rules generally slant towards ensuring reliability and against speculation, etc. read the rule, think of the purpose, then think how the rule does or does not advance it.

But evidence is one of those classes where there is a rule. Kinda like tax and cp.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Although not a substitute for knowing the rules, it helps me to think of the purposes behind each rule. The rules generally slant towards ensuring reliability and against speculation, etc. read the rule, think of the purpose, then think how the rule does or does not advance it.

But evidence is one of those classes where there is a rule. Kinda like tax and cp.
    Has anyone ever tried that with constitutional law?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Has anyone ever tried that with constitutional law?
    Fos such a complex governmental structure, the Constitution is actually a pretty short outline that is much more flexible than the evidence code.

(I know you weren't looking for a legal answer, but it's the only one I can give without the PPB police cracking down on me) ;>)

Here's something for the linguists:

When someone is said to have "laid an egg", it is an expression of poor performance. Why? Eggs are a renewable and versatile source of protein, (dare I say) even more valuable than pop tarts. Given enough time, an egg can also be transformed into fried chicken. While this is not quite as impressive as transforming swine into bacon (or BBQ), nor water into wine, I think it would rank right up there.

So don't use "laid an egg" in a negative way. Instead, replace with a phrase such as "crapped the bed", which removes all doubt.
    "Quality is not an option!"

Duke just announced that ED decisions are coming next Thursday, the 12th. One week until I finally can (hopefully) call myself a member of the Class of 2018!

Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    Duke just announced that ED decisions are coming next Thursday, the 12th. One week until I finally can (hopefully) call myself a member of the Class of 2018!
    Keeping the positive vibes flowing that you get positive news - Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Here's something for the linguists:

When someone is said to have "laid an egg", it is an expression of poor performance. Why? Eggs are a renewable and versatile source of protein, (dare I say) even more valuable than pop tarts. Given enough time, an egg can also be transformed into fried chicken. While this is not quite as impressive as transforming swine into bacon (or BBQ), nor water into wine, I think it would rank right up there.

So don't use "laid an egg" in a negative way. Instead, replace with a phrase such as "crapped the bed", which removes all doubt.
    Hahaha, barf! What a disgusting suggestion!
    Actually, I loathe eggs. Never have eaten them in my entire life. Just the smell of them sets me off.

Trying to recover from last night...

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Hahaha, barf! What a disgusting suggestion!
    Actually, I loathe eggs. Never have eaten them in my entire life. Just the smell of them sets me off.
    Eggs don't smell like anything when they're hardboiled, and when you mix the yolk with a bit of mayo and sprinkle a bit of paprika on top.

And last night I had eggnog at a neighbor's house; it smelled like rum and nutmeg (the eggnog, not the house).
    "Quality is not an option!"

ice

Damnit. An inch of snow, and a quarter inch of freezing rain on top by morning.

But we still have power - which a couple years ago would have been exceptional.

How are y'all doing?

-jk

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Pretty much the same here in Loudoun County. Not sure how thick the ice is yet, but it's bound to be thicker by morning. The salvation may be a layer of warmer air at higher altitudes. If it rains enough up high, it should help down here at the surface.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Well, I had multiple flights cancelled, only some due to weather. We spent about 7 hours at the Greenville-Spartanburg airport before finally renting a car and driving to Charlotte, where US Airways put us up in a hotel (since our missed connection was due to maintenance, not weather). Finally got back to IAD this afternoon, and things are looking pretty icy.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    And more snow coming tomorrow!
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Power just came back up over here in VA. 1.5 days out. Supremely annoying since we're well water, etc.

Y'know they come around every summer to trim trees/limbs and it never changes the outages in winter.

Country living stinks.