Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ACC Defections

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    One hundred percent agree. The benefits do not outweigh the strife and sacrifice. I could actually see a lower tier football team providing more fun for students and fans, achieving greater success, and building better rivalries.

But there'$ one a$pect that would certainly be lagging...
    Would it really be fun if Duke could not be competitive against UNC and NCSU? Assuming one or both get in with the cool football clique, wouldn’t it be better to just give up the ghost and concentrate on hoops?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Would it really be fun if Duke could not be competitive against UNC and NCSU? Assuming one or both get in with the cool football clique, wouldn’t it be better to just give up the ghost and concentrate on hoops?
    By "better rivalries" that isn't what I meant. But my question responding to your question is - are we competitive with them now?

By "better rivalries" that isn't what I meant. But my question responding to your question is - are we competitive with them now?
    we were for a few years there.
    1200. DDMF.

Not really although I rarely watch Duke football. But I think there were a few seasons in the not so distant past.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    For very few years. Athletes and coaches would leave in droves.
    Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Would we be invited?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    No...Given they're all Northeastern schools that have been in the league since its official founding in 1954. How many schools have joined/left since then? Zero.

I too admit some disenchantment with all this and might support some de-emphasis on athletics. Although I think excelling in both is still a nice model in theory.
    I was being 95% facetious here. Yea, close to a 0% chance the Ivy League would ever invite a school like Duke into the league and almost a 0% chance Duke would ever go down that road. But, as many of the posts on this thread discuss, you do have to wonder what path a university like Duke travels down when it comes to big-time college athletics (esp. in football).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    You think? I see a 8-4 team not married to mid-afternoon games in September drawing pretty well.
    If that 8-4 record is reached by playing the likes of JMU and Elon, then yes, I do think. You think Wallace Wade looks empty now, just wait til Duke goes down that road.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

If that 8-4 record is reached by playing the likes of JMU and Elon, then yes, I do think. You think Wallace Wade looks empty now, just wait til Duke goes down that road.
    Hrm. I'll defer to others, but I would watch.

they'll start offering faculty and staff up to 8 tickets a game instead of 4
    1200. DDMF.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...t-life/sports/
    In terms of financials, the Elon football program paid out $6,043,145 in expenses and made $6,043,145 in total revenue. So, the program broke even. It’s unfortunate that it didn’t make any money, but, then again, it didn’t lose any money either.
    But does this include the cost of all the football scholarships and the total costs of all the women’s sports and scholarships required by having a football team? The page says Elon athletics exactly breaks even somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...t-life/sports/

But does this include the cost of all the football scholarships and the total costs of all the women’s sports and scholarships required by having a football team? The page says Elon athletics exactly breaks even somehow.
    convenient how the numbers came out perfectly like that!
    1200. DDMF.

Hrm. I'll defer to others, but I would watch.
    Duke
    Wake
    BC
    Syracuse
    Vandy
    Northwestern
    Tulane
    Rice
    Georgetown
    Villanova

Reasonably competitive in football, some very strong bball, solid in lots of non- revenue sports, all private, reasonably similar missions, highly respectable to world class academics, spread out across the east but not absurd, lots of big markets.

Done

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    Duke
    Wake
    BC
    Syracuse
    Vandy
    Northwestern
    Tulane
    Rice
    Georgetown
    Villanova

Reasonably competitive in football, some very strong bball, solid in lots of non- revenue sports, all private, reasonably similar missions, highly respectable to world class academics, spread out across the east but not absurd, lots of big markets.

Done
    Something like that would certainly rekindle my flagging interest in college sports. But my interest is of no concern whatsoever to the powers that be.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Something like that would certainly rekindle my flagging interest in college sports. But my interest is of no concern whatsoever to the powers that be.
    That makes many of us.

Duke
    Wake
    BC
    Syracuse
    Vandy
    Northwestern
    Tulane
    Rice
    Georgetown
    Villanova

Done
    Do either or both of the service academies on this side of the Rockies factor in?

That makes many of us.
    Count me part of the group as well.

That makes many of us.
    Big, Big East it is. I’m ready.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Like I said in another thread, this is literally the worst possible time for Cut to have run Duke Football back into the ground. If we were still respectable, we might have some bargaining power or an argument that we'd contribute something.
    🤔

I'm not sure that's exactly how it happened..

Duke
    Wake
    BC
    Syracuse
    Vandy
    Northwestern
    Tulane
    Rice
    Georgetown
    Villanova

Done
    Vandy will never leave the SEC, too much money, plus very competitive in baseball. Northwestern will never leave because of money. With Coach K leaving, we don’t need the distractions of a failing conference. Hopefully Clemson cares more about winning national championships than SEC money. The more ways they divide the money will the SEC remain the best monetary choice? On top of that how long can football survive in its current form with CTE becoming more acknowledged as a risk for young men? With all that said I’m not ready to give up on Duke football! Go Devils!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Do either or both of the service academies on this side of the Rockies factor in?
    Now that I can get behind. The Army vs. Navy game would be even be more exciting.

GoDuke...GoArmy. Sorry Bob Green but I couldn't help myself.

I'm not sure anyone else has mentioned this on either of the two somewhat overlapping threads.

But. Let's assume that Cut finishes out the final two years of his contract but does not ask for or receive an extension. He retires after the final game of the 2022 season.

How does Duke replace him? Will, there be enough certainty that Duke will remain a football program in a Power Five conference to pursue a replacement along those lines? Or will Duke be heading for a league downgrade? Or will Duke be in limbo?

Thoughts?