Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Sporking tool has disappeared on this thread but I agree with this sentiment!

That said, I binned my most recent twin blade disposable (after finishing its reasonable service life) and just completed my first safety razor shave. 3-piece razor, Bic platinum blade, canned foam (sorry, I had just started one and I'm not a quitter! )

Shave completed with no cuts, but boy oh boy, was I a bit nervous! A significantly different blade feel on the face. I wonder how much of it is that the blade is exposed all the way across its length, whereas with the disposable safety razor, the housing covers the ends of the blade, such that one could infer that the sides act as sort of a blade guard. In any case, I got through it, 2 passes (down, up), very light to light pressure. Not perfect, but I'll leave efforts at perfection for a later time when I'm more comfortable with the angle and pressure tolerances. Chin was the trickiest thing, and adam's apple the next most (both areas of imperfection, whisker-wise!).

Sure hope to get used to it, but the initial nerves really had me wondering if I was "cut out" for this method.

Whew!
    It gets better and better with repetition and development of new muscle memory. Maintaining the optimum angle is the hardest part of the adjustment. There will come a time when the feeling on your face will be so much better than a cartridge razor you will wonder why you ever used them.
    Last edited by rsvman; 01-21-2021 at 03:44 PM.

Sporking tool has disappeared on this thread but I agree with this sentiment!

That said, I binned my most recent twin blade disposable (after finishing its reasonable service life) and just completed my first safety razor shave. 3-piece razor, Bic platinum blade, canned foam (sorry, I had just started one and I'm not a quitter! )

Shave completed with no cuts, but boy oh boy, was I a bit nervous! A significantly different blade feel on the face. I wonder how much of it is that the blade is exposed all the way across its length, whereas with the disposable safety razor, the housing covers the ends of the blade, such that one could infer that the sides act as sort of a blade guard. In any case, I got through it, 2 passes (down, up), very light to light pressure. Not perfect, but I'll leave efforts at perfection for a later time when I'm more comfortable with the angle and pressure tolerances. Chin was the trickiest thing, and adam's apple the next most (both areas of imperfection, whisker-wise!).

Sure hope to get used to it, but the initial nerves really had me wondering if I was "cut out" for this method.

Whew!
    Don't be afraid to move skin to get at tricky areas, such as the adam's apple. You can probably shave all of the skin that covers that area without actually going over it directly. And it does get easier. I have a cleft chin which was a nightmare at first, but is no longer a problem and I literally have to run the blade perpendicular to my face to get inside there. Practice, practice, practice and it will get easier and you'll feel less anxious with each pass. Keep the updates coming!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Frankly I'm shocked that folks are still shaving. Pandemic aside, have you not see the pro athletes we aspire to be? None of them shave anymore. Also, sell your couture stocks as K has thrown in the towel on the game day suit and tie. Could that be the problem with this year's team?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Don't be afraid to move skin to get at tricky areas, such as the adam's apple. You can probably shave all of the skin that covers that area without actually going over it directly. And it does get easier. I have a cleft chin which was a nightmare at first, but is no longer a problem and I literally have to run the blade perpendicular to my face to get inside there. Practice, practice, practice and it will get easier and you'll feel less anxious with each pass. Keep the updates coming!
    Yeah, I have dimpled, well maybe cleft, chin too.

I'm shaving less, perhaps in part because of a closer shave, but also because I am a little hesitant to shave with too little growth - my skin tends to get irritated with too-frequent shaves, esp. close ones.

Not sure what the norm on # of shaves per 2-sided blade is, but I've done 3 total shaves (using just 1 side each), and I don't get the feeling I'll get 10 shaves out of this blade. It pulls a bit at times already, which is earlier than I'm used to. This despite the fact that I'm more and more comfortable applying a little pressure to the shave stroke.

The other thing I've noticed is that it apparently really clears the foam off the face, such that I have to reapply for the second phase (up) part of it. It could be the foam itself (store was out of my usual fav, which might leave more lubrication on the skin), IDK. I'm using more foam, I know that. Oh, I guess another difference is that those 2-bladed disposables often have a lubricating strip. That's probably the real reason I don't have to add more foam to my face for additional strokes.

The 3-pc razor itself is a zinc alloy head and brass handle. The paint is chipping off from the "cowcatcher" part of the head - IIRC zinc alloy is just rust resistant, not rustproof. Hopefully a shake and air dry suffices.

The Plow.jpg

The 'cowcatcher' part is called the safety bar. The flaking you are seeing is probably just involving the outer dark coating. The razor is probably chromed below that. If it is, the flaking will only be a cosmetic problem. Zamac itself will definitely rot with exposure to water in the event that there is no coating below the black stuff.

You can do whatever you want, but most people who shave with double edge razors use both sides of the razor equally throughout each shave. Thus is done by shaving with one side until it is filled up with lather, then turning the razor over and shavung with the other side until it is filled. After that you rinse and then do the same thing again. Thus leads to equal wear and dulling of each side of the blade.

It is not uncommon to only get three of four shaves from a double edge blade. Rinsing and drying the blade completely will increase its life, but since blades only cost about 15-20 cents apiece, you can just replace the blade when it tugs.

It is common for these razors to completely clear the lather with each stroke, and it is generally recommended never to shave over skin that does nlt have lather on it. In other words, everybody relathers before doing more shaving. Y may or may not have heard thus, but another principle is that the goal of each shaving 'pass' is beard reduction, not beard elimination. Most people do at least two passes. Keep a light touch and don't expect a clean shave with one pass. Rinse, relather,and do a light second pass inma slightly different direction. Most prefer to go with the grain on the first pass and then across the grain on the second. This should get you a smooth, comfortable shave. Over time you can do this without irritation.

Patience, grasshopper. You will get better and better with repetition.

Yeah, I have dimpled, well maybe cleft, chin too.

I'm shaving less, perhaps in part because of a closer shave, but also because I am a little hesitant to shave with too little growth - my skin tends to get irritated with too-frequent shaves, esp. close ones.

Not sure what the norm on # of shaves per 2-sided blade is, but I've done 3 total shaves (using just 1 side each), and I don't get the feeling I'll get 10 shaves out of this blade. It pulls a bit at times already, which is earlier than I'm used to. This despite the fact that I'm more and more comfortable applying a little pressure to the shave stroke.

The other thing I've noticed is that it apparently really clears the foam off the face, such that I have to reapply for the second phase (up) part of it. It could be the foam itself (store was out of my usual fav, which might leave more lubrication on the skin), IDK. I'm using more foam, I know that. Oh, I guess another difference is that those 2-bladed disposables often have a lubricating strip. That's probably the real reason I don't have to add more foam to my face for additional strokes.

The 3-pc razor itself is a zinc alloy head and brass handle. The paint is chipping off from the "cowcatcher" part of the head - IIRC zinc alloy is just rust resistant, not rustproof. Hopefully a shake and air dry suffices.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    The 'cowcatcher' part is called the safety bar. The flaking you are seeing is probably just involving the outer dark coating. The razor is probably chromed below that. If it is, the flaking will only be a cosmetic problem. Zamac itself will definitely rot with exposure to water in the event that there is no coating below the black stuff.

You can do whatever you want, but most people who shave with double edge razors use both sides of the razor equally throughout each shave. Thus is done by shaving with one side until it is filled up with lather, then turning the razor over and shavung with the other side until it is filled. After that you rinse and then do the same thing again. Thus leads to equal wear and dulling of each side of the blade.

It is not uncommon to only get three of four shaves from a double edge blade. Rinsing and drying the blade completely will increase its life, but since blades only cost about 15-20 cents apiece, you can just replace the blade when it tugs.

It is common for these razors to completely clear the lather with each stroke, and it is generally recommended never to shave over skin that does nlt have lather on it. In other words, everybody relathers before doing more shaving. Y may or may not have heard thus, but another principle is that the goal of each shaving 'pass' is beard reduction, not beard elimination. Most people do at least two passes. Keep a light touch and don't expect a clean shave with one pass. Rinse, relather,and do a light second pass inma slightly different direction. Most prefer to go with the grain on the first pass and then across the grain on the second. This should get you a smooth, comfortable shave. Over time you can do this without irritation.

Patience, grasshopper. You will get better and better with repetition.
    I agree with everything rsvman wrote, but I could easily get one week's worth of good shaves from a quality double edge blade (making sure to dry the blade and the razor after each use) and then I would simply replace on Sunday without waiting for the tugging and nicking. I've had my face professionally shaved and was told my facial hair is quite coarse.

Rich

~1 more month in

Just a quick update ... I am appreciating shaving with a DE safety razor more and more. So far I've just been through 3 of the many blades I ordered from tryablade: a Greek Bic, a Canadian Shaverboy (love the icon), and a USA Rockwell. Sadly the latter has been the least impressive, though I did stretch it out to 2 weeks (about 10 shaves). But it was a notch below the other two from the start. Today I started on an Indian-made Wilkinson Sword blade, apparently by Gillette.

rsvman and Rich's comments upthread have proved accurate in terms of how my experience has played out. I'm less nervous, more confident in applying the right pressure and angle. A good DE shave is really quite close, and I can see how, if you can accomplish that without nicks, would discourage a return to cartridge or disposable razors.

Lather-wise, I generally am going through my can of Barbasol (and I have a travel-sized one that, unsurprisingly, has not gotten use over the last year), but I have experimented with household soaps. [Can't find Williams pucks anymore and I'm not the kind to spend much on skin potions and creams. Just what is necessary, no more.] The soaps are used with DS's orphaned Proraso brush, which seems undersized compared to the one I had in HS. It also loses 2-3 bristles per shave. Am debating a full-size synthetic brush, as a good badger or even boar one isn't available locally (as best I can tell) and would thus require an online order. Some soaps are slicker than others, and re-lathering isn't always necessary with them. Though good anyway. Bottom line: equally good results with soap. Just keep it wet, and rinse well.

Any tips on how to recycle the old blades? I saw two suggestions but they don't seem quite fully considered. One is to get an Altoids tin and put them in there. But that could pop open and maybe that's not cool with those who deal with the recycling bins. Nor would taping it shut and labeling it. The other is really odd to me: cut a slit in a steel can and drop them in there. OK, but how do you really get the soup or whatever out of there? How would you clean it before using it for such a collection can? Right now I have just re-wrapped the old blades and they're set off to the side of my sink.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but thought I'd ask this of any parents of teen boys. My boys are entering their "shaving years"...what do folks recommend I start them off with? I started off many decades ago just using simple double-bladed safety razors and regular gel/foam. Mostly I remember how painful my skin felt afterwards! (Those days of smooth, sensitive skin are long gone now, ha ha...)

What would be the easiest and most painless approach for beginning shavers these days? Should I look into electric razors? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by construe View Post
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but thought I'd ask this of any parents of teen boys. My boys are entering their "shaving years"...what do folks recommend I start them off with? I started off many decades ago just using simple double-bladed safety razors and regular gel/foam. Mostly I remember how painful my skin felt afterwards! (Those days of smooth, sensitive skin are long gone now, ha ha...)

What would be the easiest and most painless approach for beginning shavers these days? Should I look into electric razors? Thanks!
    I know some dermatologists who advise against electrics, too much back and forth action on the skin...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I know some dermatologists who advise against electrics, too much back and forth action on the skin...
    Yep, got to warn the teens about the dangers of too much back and forth action.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Yep, got to warn the teens about the dangers of too much back and forth action.
    Well, if it's just on the skin it might not be too problematic.

I started my son, now 18, on the Gillette Mach 3. The razor and blades are less expensive than the 5 blade systems, but still easy to find in Walgreens or CVS. The smaller head is easier to use for a novice and the razor has a nice weight. I tried to get him to use gel, but he preferred the old fashioned Gillette foam in the black/red can. He seems happy with this system and is still using it. It does what it needs since he only shaves a few times a week, if that. I too would avoid putting your son on an electric razor at this stage.
    Rich

IMO, say no to electric razors ... they may seem beginner friendly and less scary, but they in my experience they don't shave as well, and they irritate the skin more.

Bic single-blade disposable or any double blade disposable (Schick's Slim Twin is very good; Wilkinson Sword is too). Pivoting head helps but isn't strictly necessary.
    IMO shaving foam from gel isn't good; it is hard to fully rinse off the blade. Barbasol foam in a can is fine. Gillette Foamy probably is too. The generics of them (like at Walmart) are IMO/IME significantly inferior and the last one I got (when they were out of Barbasol) was quite poor. [BTW, after trying all the specialty varieties of Barbasol, I came to the surprising conclusion that my favorite is their Regular, in the red/white stripe design].

One key to reducing razor burn is to shave after a shower that will soften the stubble; or at least wash the face first with warm soapy water before applying foam. Some say go with cold water ... but the bottom line is, scrub that face with soapy water first, then rinse, then apply shaving foam or mug soap or cream.

Having recently taken my first out of state trip since Covid began, I packed a disposable twin razor with which to shave - after 4 months or so on a safety razor (the kind where you change out the blades themselves). Wow, what a difference in feel. The light plastic disposable required significantly more pressure to shave closely. It otherwise practically bounced off my face. The heavy safety razor applied the right pressure almost entirely just from its own weight. But although it was a totally different and startling feel, it really did shave just fine after a couple passes. The safety razor does get closer, but those disposables get plenty close enough. It's just a different feel and technique.

Electrics are terrible.

This is really easy. This one decision could save them thousands of dollars and lots of irritation over the years.

Get them a razor called the Gillette Guard. Gillette makes it for the Indian subcontinent. It is a really sweet shaving little razor that, in my opinion, is far superior to anything they are marketing and selling elsewhere. One blade. Sharp and smooth. Dirt cheap. Google it. The razor itself is about $1-2. Replacement cartridges are maybe 50-75 cents each. Seriously at these prices it shaves better than the Fusion and better than the Mach 3.

The razor itself is a flimsy plastic, blt who cares? If it wears out, buy a new one! Or buy several up front.

It provides a really comfortable shave. It pivots, so it is dead easy to use, even for beginners. It never clogs, and it rinses easily. Much less irritation because it is only one blade.

You can thank me later.

Oh, as for lather, I agree with cspan that the foams are fine. I find them a little dry. They work much better if you just add a few drops of water when you are applying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I started my son, now 18, on the Gillette Mach 3. The razor and blades are less expensive than the 5 blade systems, but still easy to find in Walgreens or CVS. The smaller head is easier to use for a novice and the razor has a nice weight. I tried to get him to use gel, but he preferred the old fashioned Gillette foam in the black/red can. He seems happy with this system and is still using it. It does what it needs since he only shaves a few times a week, if that. I too would avoid putting your son on an electric razor at this stage.
    I am in my 40s and do exactly what your son does (Mach 3 with the same foam) - pre-Covid I shaved daily and it was fine for me. During Covid I am shaving every 2nd or 3rd day. I almost always shave right after a warm shower which I think helps. I have been doing this for 20+ years and it works so my feeling is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Though I find everyone else's thoughts very interesting so thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the tips everyone! rsvman, I found a Gillette SkinGuard razor on Amazon, but it has two blades. Still, sounds like it would be good for someone with very little facial hair whose main goal is to avoid cutting up their face!

You all also now have me thinking about gel vs foam. I've used Aveeno gel for many years and am happy with it...but cspan* makes an interesting point that maybe it doesn't rinse out well. (This is always an issue for me, as our bathroom sink has poor water pressure). Is there really a difference between foams/gels for which gets out easiest from between the blades?

It's called the Guard, not the skin guard. Check for it on ebay or better yet at Maggard Razors.

It shaves at least as well as the SkinGuard, and it costs a LOT less. Over time the savings becoming rather eye opening. Just as easy to use, too. Take a look at in on Maggard Razors. They are a trusted source of shaving equipment.
    Last edited by rsvman; 05-14-2021 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks for the tips everyone! rsvman, I found a Gillette SkinGuard razor on Amazon, but it has two blades. Still, sounds like it would be good for someone with very little facial hair whose main goal is to avoid cutting up their face!

You all also now have me thinking about gel vs foam. I've used Aveeno gel for many years and am happy with it...but cspan* makes an interesting point that maybe it doesn't rinse out well. (This is always an issue for me, as our bathroom sink has poor water pressure). Is there really a difference between foams/gels for which gets out easiest from between the blades?
    The problem is solved by using a razor that only has one blade. If you insist on using more than one blade, no question that foams/lathers rinse away easier.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

In my experience, yes, but that experience has always been (as best I recall) with Edge, not Aveeno gel. I'd also say foam rinses better from single blades as well, but between double blades, it's a real challenge. I think only a Water Pik would make quick work of it.

As for adding drops of water to foam ... I'll try that, though it may be worth pointing out that I apply the foam to a wet face, so I'm not sure it will make a ton of difference. My last bad experience with house-brand foam was that the stuff came out way too wet, as if I was near the end of the can rather than at the beginning. I'm not sure what happened there. With prior cans of such, my beef was with the quality of the foam (more meringue-y, less creamy). Good ol' regular Barbasol just feels like the best to me. If it was warm, I'd not be able to tell the difference between that and the stuff I used to enjoy having applied at the barber shop.

I can't deny, the fancy creams like Proraso are nice, but too pricey for the marginal improvement in face slickness.