Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Question for after Episode 4:

We’re we supposed to recognize anyone from the tomb?

Apropos of nothing, I would watch Indira Varma on absolutely anything.

Leia: what are you doing to me?

Reva: the same thing I do to anyone who doesn't embrace the Empire.

Me: (looks at the room) uh oh, Leia's about to get a non-consentual MRI

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Question for after Episode 4:

We’re we supposed to recognize anyone from the tomb?
    There was a an old Jedi, Tera somebody, from the animated Clone Wars show. Besides him, I don't think so.

Poor kid.

I was really pulling for Vader to snap the Third Sister's neck. Her over the top acting is driving me crazy.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    There was a an old Jedi, Tera somebody, from the animated Clone Wars show. Besides him, I don't think so.

Poor kid.

I was really pulling for Vader to snap the Third Sister's neck. Her over the top acting is driving me crazy.
    I saw some people say they thought they saw Coleman Kcaj (one of the masters from the Jedi Council, don't think he had any speaking roles or much screen time, also not completely sure it was him).

This episode didn't really do it for me, hoping we get back on track next week (with only 2 episodes to go! ).

I do agree about the Third Sister although I tend to think it is just a poorly written character, she doesn't have much to work with so I'm not sure the acting is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I saw some people say they thought they saw Coleman Kcaj (one of the masters from the Jedi Council, don't think he had any speaking roles or much screen time, also not completely sure it was him).

This episode didn't really do it for me, hoping we get back on track next week (with only 2 episodes to go! ).

I do agree about the Third Sister although I tend to think it is just a poorly written character, she doesn't have much to work with so I'm not sure the acting is a problem.
    Guess I'm in the minority. I find her an interesting character. She's clearly trying desperately to prove herself by acting outside the box (probably not the best strategy when working for the Empire). Early on, I thought maybe she had some sort of interesting and/or surprising role to play, but with two episodes remaining, I guess she'll just keep chasing.

Big drop-off for me. Hope it ends strong.

I found the transition between episodes rushed and confusing. Did the empire really think Kenobi was dead because he fell into a fire for 2 seconds? How did they escape a planet Vader was on? Was the plan really to walk out of the front door with Leia and Kenobi? Why wouldn’t they bring more jedi scuba gear and break glass and all swim back out? So far this feels like weaker writing than a clone wars episode but I hope it improves.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    So far this feels like weaker writing than a clone wars episode but I hope it improves.
    Would theirs be . . . A New Hope?

I agree with your analysis.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I found the transition between episodes rushed and confusing. Did the empire really think Kenobi was dead because he fell into a fire for 2 seconds? How did they escape a planet Vader was on? Was the plan really to walk out of the front door with Leia and Kenobi? Why wouldn’t they bring more jedi scuba gear and break glass and all swim back out? So far this feels like weaker writing than a clone wars episode but I hope it improves.
    I've actually been pondering this the last couple days. I think Disney is doing themselves a disservice by hanging on to this "short schedule" formula; 6-8 episodes is not one that always works. For the OG Mandalorian, thankfully, it DID work. At least very much in the first season. But they also had a brand new never explored character on their side, too, which makes the writing in each episode more impactful.
    In both Boba Fett and Obi-Wan, more or less, we know the characters, so there is less to focus on there. In the Clone Wars animated show (And Rebels, and The Bad Batch), they have 20+ episodes for the whole season. Not all episodes are tied in to each other, but there is still growth.
    Your room for story telling is by default much greater in that case. So here we have a series that is only 6 episodes long, and it's trying to cram in a captivating story on top of trying to develop LOTS of characters, yet while also focusing on established characters and give those familiar faces the majority of the screen time. It's too much for the small blender they are mixing it in.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Spoilers from Episode 5:

Much better episode. Looking forward to seeing where they take it in the last one.

Kudos to whoever guessed the Third Sister was a youngling. Something tells me that they’ll regret leaving her alive.

Spoilers from Episode 5:

Much better episode. Looking forward to seeing where they take it in the last one.

Kudos to whoever guessed the Third Sister was a youngling. Something tells me that they’ll regret leaving her alive.
    I felt Reva had a bigger role to play. Very satisfying episode. Watching Vader toy with Reva by moving his hand was pretty baller.

That was a great episode... but it also should have been the last one. Vader shouldn't have left Reva alive, Obi-Wan shouldn't have randomly dropped the message thing, and Bail shouldn't have sent it in the first place. Add some final scene of delivering Leia back to her parents with a hopeful message and call it a series.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    That was a great episode... but it also should have been the last one. Vader shouldn't have left Reva alive, Obi-Wan shouldn't have randomly dropped the message thing, and Bail shouldn't have sent it in the first place. Add some final scene of delivering Leia back to her parents with a hopeful message and call it a series.
    Episodes 3 and 5 we're excellent, in my opinion. Illustrated what a great Star Wars show can be. I have no issue with 1 and 2, but 4 is clearly just filler.

Hope we end on a high note.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I felt Reva had a bigger role to play. Very satisfying episode. Watching Vader toy with Reva by moving his hand was pretty baller.
    Spoilers from Episode 5:

I didn't guess she was a youngling (I just saw other people guessing it and agreed), but my sense all along has been that some of the offenses that people (including me) didn't like about her character was plot relevant. Presumably that she was somehow still good, or would turn good. I still think the entire setup for that was just awful and the payoff doesn't improve it in hindsight, but at least they nailed the hell out of the payoff. Her telling her story was fantastic, as was her fight with Vader (and very cool to see the flashback of unarmed Obi-Wan fighting Anakin followed up with unarmed Vader fighting Reva). Parts of it certainly hit even harder in light of recent events. I'll be curious to see her role in the final events of the series (as you say, she is certainly going to have one).

Episodes 3 and 5 we're excellent, in my opinion. Illustrated what a great Star Wars show can be. I have no issue with 1 and 2, but 4 is clearly just filler.

Hope we end on a high note.
    This episode was a clear #1 for me. I would have to chew on it a bit to decide how I rank 1-3, all of them had parts that were excellent and parts that were less so. Hard to beat the feelings I had watching that first episode. On the flip side, I've seen Part 4 twice and don't know that I'll ever watch it again unless I'm watching through the series with someone else.

I did also think the beginning of this episode felt a little rushed just like the last one, but at least that part was over quickly (heh).

I think I'm gonna go rewatch. On my way out, some questions and/or minor complaints just for kicks:

1) I'm interpreting Bail's message to Obi-Wan to mean that Bail is afraid Vader is coming for them because he hasn't received any updates. Bail knows Vader is Anakin (see the end of RotS), and apparently knows he (not sure who else "he" could be in the message) is alive and that he could potentially come after Leia. Am I to understand that Bail knew Anakin was alive but didn't think to mention it to Obi-Wan while recruiting him to help? Or did I badly misunderstand something?

2) I feel like we're getting more suicide bombings in Star Wars than we used to. Maybe lean back away from that for a few years. Or maybe Star Wars has been riddled with them since the beginning and I'm just forgetting. I expect we'll see more in Andor given the type of show it appears to be. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive, I'm not bothered by violence in general.

3) Leia being that tech savvy felt kind of shoehorned in, it doesn't really line up with her other appearances. Seemed like they didn't really know what to do with her in this episode.

4) Did you guys see Vader rip that ship apart? That was freaking awesome. Oh, and I would watch a whole episode of just that dueling session!

I loved this one as much as I unloved the last one. Even if it’s clear that someone apparently can survive a gutshot lightsaber puncture.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I loved this one as much as I unloved the last one. Even if it’s clear that someone apparently can survive a gutshot lightsaber puncture.
    *Puts on his nerd hat*

I am not going to guide you too far down the rabbit hole, but there's an entire school of thought on that. Lemme see if I can sum up enough that if you care to dig on your own, you can find it.

When leaning into the dark side of the Force, your anger/rage/fear/aggression includes quicker healing. Ergo, Darth Maul, Anakin, Reva - they take greivous (sorry) wounds and somehow fight on.

Our heros, because they rely on the light side, cannot withstand such attacks. Qui Gon Jinn, Obi Wan, etc are felled more easily.

Interestingly if you play this out, even Vader and Kylo Ren aren't killed until some ninth inning Light Side embracing.

Full disclosure, I hadn't ever considered this until I had similar questions after this episode. If you dig into Reddit, you can find much more information.

Well THAT was nice!

I'm going to watch again before commenting more, but quick note. My favorite part was watching the sparring duel. Very nice to see Anakin and Obi-Wan go at it in that flash back, and even nicer that the flash back was brand new.

*Puts on his nerd hat*

I am not going to guide you too far down the rabbit hole, but there's an entire school of thought on that. Lemme see if I can sum up enough that if you care to dig on your own, you can find it.

When leaning into the dark side of the Force, your anger/rage/fear/aggression includes quicker healing. Ergo, Darth Maul, Anakin, Reva - they take greivous (sorry) wounds and somehow fight on.

Our heros, because they rely on the light side, cannot withstand such attacks. Qui Gon Jinn, Obi Wan, etc are felled more easily.

Interestingly if you play this out, even Vader and Kylo Ren aren't killed until some ninth inning Light Side embracing.

Full disclosure, I hadn't ever considered this until I had similar questions after this episode. If you dig into Reddit, you can find much more information.
    Maybe. I fall back on a broader trope: secondary characters die easily, main character somehow struggle through against all odds.

But again, I thought this was perhaps the best episode of the seven so far. I guess I’m just saying that I’m not surprised that the Third Sister lives on. It did not diminish the episode for me, it just seemed typical.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    But again, I thought this was perhaps the best episode of the seven so far.
    Did I miss a couple?