Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

College Football Playoff to Expand?

Nicole Auerbach from The Athletic is reporting that the CFP working group will recommend a 12-team playoff. Six conference champs and six at-large. Top four teams get a bye. First round games to be played on campus.

https://twitter.com/nicoleauerbach/s...096233473?s=21
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Nicole Auerbach from The Athletic is reporting that the CFP working group will recommend a 12-team playoff. Six conference champs and six at-large. Top four teams get a bye. First round games to be played on campus.

I could get behind that.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I could get behind that.
    Now we’ll hear kvetching from Team 13 instead of Team 5.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Hopefully no more than 2 teams allowed from any conference. I’d also like some minimum of non-power five conference teams (2+) allowed and some clear criteria on non-automatic qualifiers (e.g only one loss, only losses to automatic qualifiers).

Have also heard that the 2nd round games (quarterfinals) might be played on the campuses of the top four teams, though there are advocates for incorporating bowls somehow, too.

Exactly. Especially considering in basketball we hear kvetching from Teams 69, 70, 71 etc.

And now with this format, meaning teams 5-12 would need to win four games to win this tournament, this would mean their season would extend to how many total games? 18? Is that right? 17? As long or longer than an NFL season? Just keep feeding em into the meat grinder . . .

David Tell is also tweeting that "As an independent, Notre Dame would not be eligible for a first-round bye. Irish would have to survive four playoff games to win a national championship."

That might induce some real cogitation in South Bend.

Would rather see eight and have always thought that was the “right” number. One champ from each P5 conference and 3 at large with minimum 2 from non-P5.

More kvetching?! Oy. I like the sound of this though (purely as a fan.)

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    David Tell is also tweeting that "As an independent, Notre Dame would not be eligible for a first-round bye. Irish would have to survive four playoff games to win a national championship."

My heart bleeds for them then (sounds of a nano violin in the background.)

From the article (which I was able to access without a subscription):

The 12-team format would include the six highest-ranked conference champions and six at-large spots.
    "Six highest-ranked conference champions" is probably intended to mean the Power 5 conference champions (ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-12, SEC) plus a sixth conference champion from elsewhere. But you can imagine a situation where an unranked or low-ranked Power 5 team beats the favorite in the conference championship, and still isn't one of the six highest ranked conference champions in whatever polling system they use.

Also, "six at-large spots" is incredibly vague. You would think "highest-ranked" would be used here, but it isn't. Who will be included? Undefeated teams not among the top 6 conference champions? One-loss Power 5 teams not in a conference championship game? Notre Dame and 5 others?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Would rather see eight and have always thought that was the “right” number.
    I could easily see this get compromised down to 8. The best way to expand to 8 is to ask for 12.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post

I am sorry/not sorry to hear about this much like Notre Dame is in/not in the ACC.

Would rather see eight and have always thought that was the “right” number. One champ from each P5 conference and 3 at large with minimum 2 from non-P5.
    I agree with arnie the “right” number is eight.
    Bob Green

Wow, I can't believe they may actually get it right after so many decades.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops
    Have also heard that the 2nd round games (quarterfinals) might be played on the campuses of the top four teams, though there are advocates for incorporating bowls somehow, too.
    Yes please. Ditch all the useless bowls. Get them completely out of the sport. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree with arnie the “right” number is eight.
    I'd agree with you except that 8 doesn't get Notre Dame fully in the ACC while 12 probably does.

So this means that

Alabama
    Clemson
    Ohio State
    Oklahoma

get permanent invitations to the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    From the article (which I was able to access without a subscription):

"Six highest-ranked conference champions" is probably intended to mean the Power 5 conference champions (ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-12, SEC) plus a sixth conference champion from elsewhere. But you can imagine a situation where an unranked or low-ranked Power 5 team beats the favorite in the conference championship, and still isn't one of the six highest ranked conference champions in whatever polling system they use.

Also, "six at-large spots" is incredibly vague. You would think "highest-ranked" would be used here, but it isn't. Who will be included? Undefeated teams not among the top 6 conference champions? One-loss Power 5 teams not in a conference championship game? Notre Dame and 5 others?

I could easily see this get compromised down to 8. The best way to expand to 8 is to ask for 12.
    This makes sense to me. All I know is that recently it has felt some very deserving teams are getting left out. And then someone ends up, er, pooping the bed against good competition, making the frustration even stronger.

Of course there will be whining from team #9, #13, #17 - whatever.

Maybe we can get Lunardi to spend all season making predictions and deciding on "locks."

I never understood why eight wasn't the number they started with. It seemed obvious. Eight teams play the traditional four big bowl games on New Year's Day, just the way we always used to do, except now the games mean something. The winners play in the semifinals the next week , which should still be before the NFL playoffs begin, and the NC game comes the week after that, scheduled in the Monday Night Football slot to avoid the NFL playoffs. You can rotate the sites of the later games around as needed.

I was always shocked they just completely bypassed the long-standing New Years games and made them entirely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I never understood why eight wasn't the number they started with. It seemed obvious. Eight teams play the traditional four big bowl games on New Year's Day, just the way we always used to do, except now the games mean something. The winners play in the semifinals the next week , which should still be before the NFL playoffs begin, and the NC game comes the week after that, scheduled in the Monday Night Football slot to avoid the NFL playoffs. You can rotate the sites of the later games around as needed.

I was always shocked they just completely bypassed the long-standing New Years games and made them entirely irrelevant.
    This.

Given how physically demanding college football is, I just cannot see giving a team(s) a bye. Just too much of a competitive advantage. Eight has always made the most sense to me. But 16 is better than 12, IMO.