Page 1039 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 3953993998910291037103810391040104110491089113915392039 ... LastLast
Results 20,761 to 20,780 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Troegs BBA Trogenator, double bock beer. 2018, 9.8%. Poured dark bronze, oak and bourbon up front. Malts listed as chocolate, munich and Pilsner. A hint of oak and coconut (not added), malty finish. From their splinter series, a really bold beer. I see Troegs from time to time at Total Wine, would buy this again in an instant.
    I really like the standard octane Troegenator and have never seen the BBA version but would also buy it in an instant. You're a lucky fellow.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Nice! I hate I missed you - this weekend was kinda crazy, especially today. Would love to get together and have a beer when you're back in town for the Duke/Wake game. Hopefully others can join too. Would also love to see Duke win 59-7.

Can't wait to hear your impressions of Wise Man and Fiddlin fish.
    With mattman, you *may* have to wait a while. A long while. We're still waiting for his upstate SC beer tour reviews from last decade...

Ymm, Winston Salem Beer

My wife and I split a flight of four beers at both Wiseman and Fiddlin' Fish.

Wiseman:

Thousand Chords Grisette, 5% abv

We both agreed this beer was perfect for the weather. True to the style, and an excellent thirst quencher. Very crisp with a lemony finish. I could see this being an excellent kayaking beer.

Body Electric NE IPA, 7.5% abv

They actually call this a NE Double IPA, but I'm not sure that is accurate. Does anyone know what the threshold abv for a DIPA is? I've always considered it to be 8%+. Regardless, I enjoyed it immensely. So much so that I paid $15.40 for a 4 pack (canned on 8/2) to take home. My wife is not an IPA fan but she really enjoyed it as well. The description on the menu said 90 IBUS, but it tasted like about 40-45. Very juicy tropical notes and a smooth mouthfeel. I have found most NE IPAs are either disappointing or really good. This one definitely fell in the category of the latter. 10/10.

Mountain Calling West Coast IPA, 6.6% abv

Tough to follow the Body Electric. I feel like if I wouldn't have had the other first I would have enjoyed this one more. Classic West Coast IPA with the typical piney/grapefruit profile. Not bad at all, I would drink this again.

BBA Merry World Breakfast Stout, 9.4% abv

The barman said this was aged in bourbon barrels for (I think) 9 months. Chocolate forward with coffee notes blended perfectly with the bourbon notes. Didn't taste too boozy and the bourbon did not overpower the rest of the profile. Would love to sip on one of these in the winter. This was a close 2nd for me, and my wife agreed. Nicely done, Wise Man.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    With mattman, you *may* have to wait a while. A long while. We're still waiting for his upstate SC beer tour reviews from last decade...

Ha!

I'll share my thoughts on Fiddlin Fish (spoiler: they didn't disappoint) tomorrow, along with with some Surf City, NC beer from the veteran-owned and operated Salty Turtle Beer Co. (also did not disappoint).

Nice! I hate I missed you - this weekend was kinda crazy, especially today. Would love to get together and have a beer when you're back in town for the Duke/Wake game. Hopefully others can join too. Would also love to see Duke win 59-7.

Can't wait to hear your impressions of Wise Man and Fiddlin fish.
    I'd love to meet up for a pre/post-game beer! We will make Tripping William pick up the tab

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I'd love to meet up for a pre/post-game beer! We will make Tripping William pick up the tab
    Hey, wait a minute now ... !
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Wiseman:

We both agreed this beer was perfect for the weather. True to the style, and an excellent thirst quencher. Very crisp with a lemony finish. I could see this being an excellent kayaking beer.

They actually call this a NE Double IPA, but I'm not sure that is accurate. Does anyone know what the threshold abv for a DIPA is? I've always considered it to be 8%+. Regardless, I enjoyed it immensely. So much so that I paid $15.40 for a 4 pack (canned on 8/2) to take home. My wife is not an IPA fan but she really enjoyed it as well. The description on the menu said 90 IBUS, but it tasted like about 40-45. Very juicy tropical notes and a smooth mouthfeel. I have found most NE IPAs are either disappointing or really good. This one definitely fell in the category of the latter. 10/10.

Tough to follow the Body Electric. I feel like if I wouldn't have had the other first I would have enjoyed this one more. Classic West Coast IPA with the typical piney/grapefruit profile. Not bad at all, I would drink this again.

The barman said this was aged in bourbon barrels for (I think) 9 months. Chocolate forward with coffee notes blended perfectly with the bourbon notes. Didn't taste too boozy and the bourbon did not overpower the rest of the profile. Would love to sip on one of these in the winter. This was a close 2nd for me, and my wife agreed. Nicely done, Wise Man.
    I'm thrilled you enjoyed Wise Man. I love Body Electric as well as their Conceited Genius - their first 2 beers I tried. I'll look for the Merry World stout and thousand chords.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Hey, wait a minute now ... !
    No worries, I'll get the tab. Those Park City hookers probably lifted Tripping Billy's wallet after he said crash into me.

No worries, I'll get the tab. Those Park City hookers probably lifted Tripping Billy's wallet after he said crash into me.
    Nope, no Park City Hooker. Just a Provo Girl and a Polygamy Porter. But just one (of each).

Nope, no Park City Hooker. Just a Provo Girl and a Polygamy Porter. But just one (of each).
    Once is enough. Park City hookers lifted somebody else's wallet before you got there which explains why they ran out

Wiseman:

It's cool your wife likes these beers too. I'm close to giving up after I had that outstanding Burial on Friday and asked Jenn eagerly what she thought. She laughed and said, "it doesn't exactly taste like an apple fritter. You can have the rest." Fortunately Winston is also the home of Krispy Kreme.

Wiseman:

Glad to have you back with some beer reviews again .

I think you're correct with reversing the order of Mountain Calling and Body Electric providing more appreciation for the lower ABV brew first.

I'm surprised Body Electric is listed at 90 IBUs, especially for a NEIPA as most of them are generally in the 30-50 IBU range. I've always used a rough cut-off for IPA vs DIPA/IIPA at about 7.5%, very little difference that what you posted above. I also use an IBU threshold of about 60-70 for the IPA/DIPA/IIPA crossover.

Ha!

I'll share my thoughts on Fiddlin Fish (spoiler: they didn't disappoint) tomorrow, along with with some Surf City, NC beer from the veteran-owned and operated Salty Turtle Beer Co. (also did not disappoint).
    Ha, indeed!

You'll have to fight me () for posting time tomorrow as I'm not going to get around to the 10 Lagunitas brews that our younger daughter, husband and I shared last PM. Simply running out of time/energy after a late afternoon/early evening flight back from Chicago today.

But, but, but, one is not enough...

It's cool your wife likes these beers too. I'm close to giving up after I had that outstanding Burial on Friday and asked Jenn eagerly what she thought. She laughed and said, "it doesn't exactly taste like an apple fritter. You can have the rest." Fortunately Winston is also the home of Krispy Kreme.
    Ymm, doughnuts...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Glad to have you back with some beer reviews again .
    All about post count for him right now ....

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Mother Earth Lemon Blueberry Berliner Weisse

Oh, what a gorgeous pour.
    Pink, frothy, thick head atop a beer the colour of Cran-blueberry juice.

Nose is lemon curd, vanilla, and blueberry with a whiff of warhead sour candy.

Wow. Lemon cream yields to gentle sour that eases into blueberry pie filling.

A remarkable beer.

Cheers! 🍻
    Berlinerweisse Lemon Blueberry-Mother Earth Brewing Company

Late again, as usual, but fuse, Tripping William and RJ199 get extra beer credits/sporks for their thoughts/reviews on the above as I finally found a can and paid $2.50 for it and would buy again in a New York Minute.

I can't add much to the above superb review except perhaps an IBU estimate of 5-10 and an ABV of 4.9% and perhaps a pairing with some fresh berries or a fruit tart.

All about post count for him right now ...

Ha!

We've been there a couple times and enjoyed it. Will be quite interested in reading your reviews about what you sampled.

All about post count for him right now ...
    I should pull a DD and make separate posts for each beer from Fiddlin' Fish