Page 1040 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 40540940990103010381039104010411042105010901140 ... LastLast
Results 20,781 to 20,800 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If you don’t toot your own horn, no one will.
    Says the guy who’s all about that bass (no treble).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Wow. I regret starting this.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Wow. I regret starting this.
    You started all this treble?

Give it a rest.

You started all this treble?

Give it a rest.
    Seriously. He’ll get no symphony from me.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Happy last birthday CB&B:

Attachment 11883
    BWAHAHAHA!!! That's definitely up there on the best of Bday Memes list!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Some reporting on election results from the largely Hispanic border counties here in South Texas. Contrast this with the I-35 corridor which got bluer this election. I know the county I live in, somewhere between 60-65% Hispanic, was bluer this time around, 58% to 40% vs. 53% to 40% in 2016.

‘The Trump effect’ showed up in heavily Hispanic Texas border counties

Silvia Foster-Frau Nov. 13, 2020 Updated: Nov. 13, 2020 10:06 p.m

ZAPATA — Irma Alvarez, a longtime Democrat, didn’t vote for president in 2016.

This year, the 80-year-old did. She chose President Donald Trump.

“Always, always, I was part of the old Democratic Party. But the new party has changed a lot,” said Alvarez, a native Spanish speaker who was born in Guerrero, Mexico. “They don’t understand how things are down here. They just don’t understand.”

https://www.expressnews.com/news/pol...y-15725750.php

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Some reporting on election results from the largely Hispanic border counties here in South Texas. Contrast this with the I-35 corridor which got bluer this election. I know the county I live in, somewhere between 60-65% Hispanic, was bluer this time around, 58% to 40% vs. 53% to 40% in 2016.

‘The Trump effect’ showed up in heavily Hispanic Texas border counties

Silvia Foster-Frau Nov. 13, 2020 Updated: Nov. 13, 2020 10:06 p.m

ZAPATA — Irma Alvarez, a longtime Democrat, didn’t vote for president in 2016.

This year, the 80-year-old did. She chose President Donald Trump.

“Always, always, I was part of the old Democratic Party. But the new party has changed a lot,” said Alvarez, a native Spanish speaker who was born in Guerrero, Mexico. “They don’t understand how things are down here. They just don’t understand.”

https://www.expressnews.com/news/pol...y-15725750.php
    Wanted to read but have to subscribe. Would be curious to see a summary. Trump really improved margins with the rural Latino community and am looking forward to the analysis as to what motivated the change.

USA Today had a big article up today...their takeaway (which surprised me) was that compared with 2016, Trump actually didn't run as large a vote deficit in cities like Detroit, Milwaukee and Philadelphia this time. But compared with '16, he got hammered in the burbs...in fact, here it is:https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...ms/6263149002/

p.s. small correction: Biden had a 3,000 greater vote margin in Milwaukee this time vs what Clinton had in '16...
    Last edited by budwom; 11-14-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Wanted to read but have to subscribe. Would be curious to see a summary. Trump really improved margins with the rural Latino community and am looking forward to the analysis as to what motivated the change.
    I wonder if Trump’s appeal is not just to white non-college educated people but the entire segment regardless of race. We will have to wait for a demographic breakdown of voters. It is a group that feels marginalized and worried about their place in an evolving USA.

Sorry about that. I'll provide some more detail after the Commodore stage a miraculous comeback and beat the Wildcats.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    USA Today had a big article up today...their takeaway (which surprised me) was that compared with 2016, Trump actually didn't run as large a vote deficit in cities like Detroit, Milwaukee and Philadelphia this time. But compared with '16, he got hammered in the burbs...in fact, here it is:https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...ms/6263149002/

p.s. small correction: Biden had a 3,000 greater vote margin in Milwaukee this time vs what Clinton had in '16...
    I think a socially moderate, science-respecting, ACA-improving (not reversing), civil Republican that didn’t lie all the time and mock the disabled would have 0 problem changing the suburban tide. I think many suburban voters would be happy to vote for a fiscally conservative, free market, pro-trade Republican that cleared what seems like an otherwise low bar.

I think a socially moderate, science-respecting, ACA-improving (not reversing), civil Republican that didn’t lie all the time and mock the disabled would have 0 problem changing the suburban tide. I think many suburban voters would be happy to vote for a fiscally conservative, free market, pro-trade Republican that cleared what seems like an otherwise low bar.
    I remember them. Whatever happened to them?

I remember them. Whatever happened to them?
    Perhaps all this was just interlude and they haven’t permanently fugued off?

I don't think the ACA is a must have, the suburbs are where it isn't popular. If you are middle class, over the income limits, and need an ACA plan they are awful.

I do think you need to have a real plan that is practical, possible and easily sound biteable. Easier to stick with improving the ACA.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    I wonder if Trump’s appeal is not just to white non-college educated people but the entire segment regardless of race. We will have to wait for a demographic breakdown of voters. It is a group that feels marginalized and worried about their place in an evolving USA.
    We will not get an accurate breakdown this year. Exit polling is fundamentally flawed for the 2020 election and any analysis based on exit polls is worthless this time around. I think I posted about it before. Quick rundown, exit polls are supposed to only include people who actually voted, not likely, not registered, just people who showed up. Consequently they rely on sampling from people who vote in person on election day. 2020 sampling of in person voters is skewed. No way to fix it. We can only look at population based statistics and given the high likelihood of undercounts in the 2020 census, even population based statistics aren't going to give an accurate picture of 2020.

Perhaps all this was just interlude and they haven’t permanently fugued off?
    I think they exist. They were just beaten out by an apex predator. One that they cultivated through right wing media. I hope they come back. We actually need them.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I don't think the ACA is a must have, the suburbs are where it isn't popular. If you are middle class, over the income limits, and need an ACA plan they are awful.

I do think you need to have a real plan that is practical, possible and easily sound biteable. Easier to stick with improving the ACA.
    I’ll need to double check but I thought certain elements of the ACA - pre-existing conditions, out of pocket max, 26/dependent, CHIP - were not only popular across the board but also strong with the suburban demographics.

Lots of suburban parents supporting their post-college kids who had a tough time post-Great Recession finding jobs ( same now, I suspect). I suspect a GOP candidate would have an easier time selling a “keep the good stuff, improve what’s not” versus a “we’re going to take these things away and start anew” to the suburban voter I had in mind. Maybe I’m wrong.
    Last edited by bundabergdevil; 11-14-2020 at 02:23 PM.

I think they exist. They were just beaten out by an apex predator. One that they cultivated through right wing media. I hope they come back. We actually need them.
    Come back? You mean like an encore?

Saw this the other day and thought it was really interesting.
    5F66180C-923D-49F9-A521-743ADE204873.jpg

In case you can’t see it,the approximately 500 counties that voted for Biden account for 71% of GDP according to 2018 GDP data. The more than 2400 counties that voted for Trump account for 29%.
    Last edited by nmduke2001; 11-14-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill