View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 grossing films at the summer 2019 boxoffice

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avengers: Endgame

48 97.96%
  • Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

19 38.78%
  • John Wick: Chapter 3

0 0%
  • Aladdin

11 22.45%
  • Godzilla: King of Monsters

2 4.08%
  • The Secret Life of Pets 2

17 34.69%
  • X-Men: Dark Phoenix

4 8.16%
  • Men in Black: International

3 6.12%
  • Toy Story 4

46 93.88%
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home

43 87.76%
  • The Lion King

45 91.84%
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

0 0%
  • Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

7 14.29%
  • Field (any film not mentioned above)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I take "too faithful" as a very encouraging sign. The Lion King is one of my absolute favorite films, and I have not been terribly comfortable with the idea of it being re-done. A visual update without meaningful changes in content is something I can probably handle. I'll probably go see it (unlike the other Disney "updates," for which I don't really have any interest).
    I had the opposite reaction (though mildly so). I was thinking LK would take the traditional re-make approach --- keep the core story and characters but update and evolve for the times. Interesting that it's almost completely faithful to the original, just a different visual approach.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Not that there is any doubt the Lion King will make our top 5 but there were some early screenings this week and the buzz is very positive. Most say it is very true to the original and all say it is a visual masterpiece. My favorite Disney movie of all time so I'll be seeing it next Thursday night!
    Welllll, maybe not.

Consensus on RT is that while it doesn't suck, it also ain't good. Currently "rotten" at 57% with over 80 reviews in. That is very surprising. (Still will make oodles, easily.)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lion_king_2019
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I already posted some brief comments about Lion King, if ya'll feel like listening, here is my podcast review done as Josh and I walked out of the theater on Wednesday night.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'll admit this was not the movie I expected to receive 100%:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/crawl_2019

only 14 reviews so far, but still. I'm intrigued...

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post

Is this basically a remake of Hard Rain but with alligators?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Reviews are coming back down to Earth some, but still, it's gonna wind up with a fresh rating. Most of the reviews seem to say "Hey, you go in expecting scary gator fun, and that's exactly what you get, even though it's totally ridiculous." Sometimes, ridiculous is perfect.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Reviews are coming back down to Earth some, but still, it's gonna wind up with a fresh rating. Most of the reviews seem to say "Hey, you go in expecting scary gator fun, and that's exactly what you get, even though it's totally ridiculous." Sometimes, ridiculous is perfect.
    This was my argument about Yesterday (replacing scary gator fun/ridiculous with "cute and light").

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    I guess this is one of those movies where most of the movie going public saw it, but I did not. No, I was not hiding under a rock. I was 30, unmarried, and had no kids so I was not interested in what I perceived at the time to be a children's movie. I did not watch ET for the same reasons although I was 18 then.

I am a grandfather now and I am looking forward to seeing it. Since it seems this CGI version follows basically the exact same story line of the original, this is the one I will watch rather than the cartoon version. Heck, I've softened so much over the years that maybe I'll give ol' ET a whirl!

I saw Crawl last night. Sometimes ridiculous is perfect. But sometimes it's not.

I would not recommend spending any money (or even any free time) on this. The lead actress does an outstanding job. But this movie, as you would expect, has zero plot. I got bored by 45 minutes in, and kept checking my watch at least every 8 minutes thereafter. It clocks in at 87 minutes, which feels way too long. Yes the gators are big, scary, mean, and fast swimmers who will rip you apart if they get the chance. You're trapped in a house with a cute dog in a big hurricane and trying to survive. That is literally the extent of it. Jaws this is Not. It's nowhere near as good as Blake Lively's the Shallows either. It's well-directed, self-aware, and probably as good as it could be. But that is not very good. Save the expensive popcorn for something much better. I thought maybe it would be ridiculous, but really fun. I'd say more like really tiresome.

I saw Crawl last night. Sometimes ridiculous is perfect. But sometimes it's not.

I would not recommend spending any money (or even any free time) on this. The lead actress does an outstanding job. But this movie, as you would expect, has zero plot. I got bored by 45 minutes in, and kept checking my watch at least every 8 minutes thereafter. It clocks in at 87 minutes, which feels way too long. Yes the gators are big, scary, mean, and fast swimmers who will rip you apart if they get the chance. You're trapped in a house with a cute dog in a big hurricane and trying to survive. That is literally the extent of it. Jaws this is Not. It's nowhere near as good as Blake Lively's the Shallows either. It's well-directed, self-aware, and probably as good as it could be. But that is not very good. Save the expensive popcorn for something much better. I thought maybe it would be ridiculous, but really fun. I'd say more like really tiresome.
    You could have had a Haw River product for the same price, maybe less.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You could have had a Haw River product for the same price, maybe less.
    Man shall not live by beer alone. Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll drink some great beer today. But if that haw river do rise, and if there be gators in there, now I'll be ready.

Well, I thankfully waited til Snakes On A Plane went to video before seeing it, too.

Well, I thankfully waited til Snakes On A Plane went to video before seeing it, too.
    There you made an error. There is no point to seeing Snakes on a Plane on video. The redeeming qualities are entirely in the movie theater experience - specifically the interaction with the rest of the audience. I still remember it. Half my high school was at the theater that night. It was a bonding experience with the ups and downs and cheering and screams one might find at an exciting game. There were snakes for people to pet in the theater lobby, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I already posted some brief comments about Lion King, if ya'll feel like listening, here is my podcast review done as Josh and I walked out of the theater on Wednesday night.
    And here is my 100 word review... not that any of you don't already know how I feel about this film.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Not a contender... not at all... in our contest, but I wanted to tell folks to check out The Art of Self Defense. I saw it a few days ago and here is my 100 word review. It is a strange, dark comedy that will not be for everyone but I think it is one of the more original films I have seen this year and I spent a lot of time laughing at the craziness on screen. A funnier Fight Club with a lot less twists and mayhem.

-Jason "you may have trouble finding this flick... it is only getting a limited release" Evans

Will it be over soon?

Aladdin just keeps chugging along. It’s likely to surpass $340 million this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Will it be over soon?
    Well, I suppose we need to wait for the car stunt movie to open, just to be sure, but it has really been over since Aladdin was a hit and SLOP2 was not.

Saw Crawl yesterday. It was definitely better than I anticipated, but I went in with pretty low expectations. 85 minute run time definitely played in its favor.

The Lion King had a $78.5 million Friday. Sigh, now we wait Hobbs and Shaw.