Page 9 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 789101119591095091009 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

ymm,beer

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I'm an importer-exporter.

So updates to the DevilDeac beer order will be posted here. First, tonight at Wild Oats, I got two 6ers of what I believe to be just about the last stash of Schlafly Pumpkin ale in the area. That stuff sold fast this year.

More anon.
    Wild Oats-did the buy out by Whole Foods get approved? Nice chain. I visited/bought some good stuff there during my travels to Oregon.

Lavabe said the Pumpkin Ale vanished quickly. Good find.

Importer-exporter-funny. I did that many times over the years visiting family in Oregon with many fine NW hand-crafted ales returning to NC via ski and soccer socks and in other clothing items. Ditto with a ski trip or 3 to the Rockies.

Most of all, a sincere thanks for your efforts and travels.

I sampled this year's Sweetwater Festive at Taco Mac last night. As usual, it is delish, though I believe it to be a bit darker and spicier (with a hint of cinnamon) than in the past. They said they only got a couple of kegs this year...hope that doesn't mean it'll be hard to find or run out quickly in the liquor stores.

Festive Ale

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I sampled this year's Sweetwater Festive at Taco Mac last night. As usual, it is delish, though I believe it to be a bit darker and spicier (with a hint of cinnamon) than in the past. They said they only got a couple of kegs this year...hope that doesn't mean it'll be hard to find or run out quickly in the liquor stores.
    I can't wait to taste this-hopefully, Lavabe can round up a sixer or two between apps and bring it up to NC over the holidays(hint, hint ).

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I can't wait to taste this-hopefully, Lavabe can round up a sixer or two ... ).
    I'm sitting on a few brews for EarlJam, but dude and I can never meet up. [There ... proper use of the term "dude."] The brews include the famous Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale.

I'm saving my taste buds for the Ghanaian bar in DC in a couple of weeks. Would love to see if DBR-DC folks might be around.

Will see if I can wrestle away a Madagascar Three Horses Beer.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

I gotta pick up some of the rest of the DevilDeac order. So far all I've got is 12 pumpkins.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I'm sitting on a few brews for EarlJam, but dude and I can never meet up. [There ... proper use of the term "dude."] The brews include the famous Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale.

I'm saving my taste buds for the Ghanaian bar in DC in a couple of weeks. Would love to see if DBR-DC folks might be around.

Will see if I can wrestle away a Madagascar Three Horses Beer.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Enjoying my one and only Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale right now-ginger and nutmeg predominate but do not overpower. The cinnamon is faint and the pumpkin is even fainter-very smooth. However, I remember that TB reminded me that he picked up two sixers in St.L and will deliver in December. I can hardly wait.

ymm, beer

I gotta pick up some of the rest of the DevilDeac order. So far all I've got is 12 pumpkins.
    That is the start of a very nice recruiting class. My taste buds await(so do Lavabe's). See my prior post-the pumpkins are mighty fine. They would have been fine in October, tasted great tonight and will be enjoyed in December, too.

Enjoying my one and only Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale right now-ginger and nutmeg predominate but do not overpower. The cinnamon is faint and the pumpkin is even fainter-very smooth. However, I remember that TB reminded me that he picked up two sixers in St.L and will deliver in December. I can hardly wait.
    Why don't you write the Schlafly's folks a heartfelt email about the quality of the brew, and the need to expand outside of the region? At the very least, they'll take notice that they need to produce more for next year. Microbrews tend to take notice of that sort of evidence.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

We're pleased to report that to the class of 2007 we've added a 6er of Christmas Ale.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

ymm, beer(or recruiting 2007)

We're pleased to report that to the class of 2007 we've added a 6er of Christmas Ale.
    Sounds like a very versatile player. Now, if we can come with a real bruiser or two like an imperial stout, barley wine or a high gravity belgian style ale, then I think beeradvocate.com might have us with the top class of 2007, especially with the addition during early signing of some good practice brews, err, players, like Schlafly's APA, #15 and Mr. Oatmeal Stout. Once, again, a hearty and hoppy thank you to Mr. TB in the selection process.

ymmm, beer

Hey, it is better than the FB game.

Some recent additions to the lineup:

1. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    2. Brooklyn Winter Ale
    3. Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout
    4. Breckenridge 417-a double IPA

Interested in any of these Throaty?

How about you Lavabe? When is your pilgrimage to NC?

Hey, it is better than the FB game.

Some recent additions to the lineup:

1. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    2. Brooklyn Winter Ale
    3. Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout
    4. Breckenridge 417-a double IPA

Interested in any of these Throaty?

How about you Lavabe? When is your pilgrimage to NC?
    BBChocoStout is dynamite... as I speak, I am selecting a brew to cleanse the palate after that "football" game on NBC. I am just feeling too depressed w/ what I saw (the second half). First half was spent with daughter's lacrosse game.

No NC pilgrimage anytime soon... just grading, apps, writing.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Birthday treat!

I decided a nice couple of seasonal brews would go better with the Duke vs. Ill game on my birthday, than a $40 bottle of red wine (my standby), so I stopped off at my favorite local specialty store on my way home.

Glad I did for two reasons:

1) They said they'd special order Abita Purple Haze for me whenever I asked; (Happy b-day to me!)

2) I'm now enjoying the first of two seasonal, regional beers: the Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale from Anderson Valley Brewing (Mendocino, Calif.), a slightly spicy, brown ale with a hint of orange. Next on the list is Snow Cap, the seasonal ale from Pyramid Breweries.

Ymm, ale and Duke winning on my b-day - a wonderful combination!

How old are you now?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I'm now enjoying the first of two seasonal, regional beers: the Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale from Anderson Valley Brewing (Mendocino, Calif.), a slightly spicy, brown ale with a hint of orange. Next on the list is Snow Cap, the seasonal ale from Pyramid Breweries.

Happy B-Day! Now, tell us about the Snow Cap!

Could it have been better than my Breckenridge Vanilla Porter (thanks Devildeac)?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

I decided a nice couple of seasonal brews would go better with the Duke vs. Ill game on my birthday, than a $40 bottle of red wine (my standby), so I stopped off at my favorite local specialty store on my way home.

Glad I did for two reasons:

1) They said they'd special order Abita Purple Haze for me whenever I asked; (Happy b-day to me!)

2) I'm now enjoying the first of two seasonal, regional beers: the Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale from Anderson Valley Brewing (Mendocino, Calif.), a slightly spicy, brown ale with a hint of orange. Next on the list is Snow Cap, the seasonal ale from Pyramid Breweries.

1. Not a big fan of the Abita Purple Haze- a bit too fruity for me
    2. Winter Solstice-excellent, hearty winter ale. Have not had one in several years. Sounds like the year to renew my friendship with this one.
    3. Snow Cap-a slightly spicy dark ale-very tasty. Likewise, have not had one in a few years-perhaps this winter again.

Try to hunt down Grant's Winter Ale and several of the really flavorful seasons ales from the various Oregon brewers. During my visits to Portland over the years, I always tried to buy Wassail Ale form the Full Sail folks, Ebenezer Ale from the Bridgeport brewery, Jubelale form the folks in Bend at the Deschutes brewery and the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, which is a really hoppy winter IPA, not for the faint of tongue. The classic winter offering is Anchor Steam's Our Christmas Ale(I think that is the proper name). They have brewed it for about 30 years and the flavors change annually. Superb.

Talking Have a Festive Holiday

Devildeac: Your Sweetwater Festive Ale now awaits you at our abode.

Odd beer shopping situation here:
    Trader Joe's: good assortment of Rogue, Brooklyn, and Duvel-likes.
    Whole Foods: Nice assortment of specialty Dogfish Head.
    Ohioguy: My local Kroger carries Tony Packo's pickled tomatoes.
    DA: The purple haze is in my local Kroger... right next to Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

If I don't meet up with EJam tonight, it will be a Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale for the game.

Cheers and beers,
    Lavabe

What do you recommend instead?

(And have you tried it while hot-tubbing, after skiing? I, like TampaDuke, discovered that particular concoction in the Colorado mountains...)
    If you like Belgians, you simple must try Avery brewing company, Boulder Colorado. http://www.averybrewing.com/Home

Literally everything is fabulous... but I especially like Salvation and the Reverend. (both must be said in appropriately awed voices)

But be warned - Sal and the Rev come in 22 oz bottles, and one is plenty.
    (I have seen the 22 ozers outside of Colorado, but if you move to Boulder, you can get them in kegs too...)

As for the mountain microbreweries, literally every single ski town has its own micro brewery, some of which are pretty good. I especially like Tommy Knockers in Idaho Springs. http://www.tommyknocker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Where does one find Breckenridge Brewery offerings in the stores?
    http://www.breckbrew.com/beer/distributors.html

take it from an ex-local though - the Avery is better.

Now I am home sick...

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    If you like Belgians, you simple must try Avery brewing company, Boulder Colorado. http://www.averybrewing.com/Home

Literally everything is fabulous... but I especially like Salvation and the Reverend. (both must be said in appropriately awed voices)

But be warned - Sal and the Rev come in 22 oz bottles, and one is plenty.
    (I have seen the 22 ozers outside of Colorado, but if you move to Boulder, you can get them in kegs too...)

As for the mountain microbreweries, literally every single ski town has its own micro brewery, some of which are pretty good. I especially like Tommy Knockers in Idaho Springs. http://www.tommyknocker.com/
    One is plenty-whoa! Those brews are 9-10% ABV- I can drink 1/2 of one in an evening, cork the bottle and then enjoy the remainder the next night

Ahhh, Tommyknockers-Butt Head Bock and Pick Axe Pale Ale-two more fine memories of Colorado skiing. I also had a maple flavored ale many years ago but can't recall the name-can you refresh my memory?(pleeeaase)

One is plenty-whoa! Those brews are 9-10% ABV- I can drink 1/2 of one in an evening, cork the bottle and then enjoy the remainder the next night

Ahhh, Tommyknockers-Butt Head Bock and Pick Axe Pale Ale-two more fine memories of Colorado skiing. I also had a maple flavored ale many years ago but can't recall the name-can you refresh my memory?(pleeeaase)
    I think you're talking about TK's Maple Brown Ale. As I've said earlier in this thread, I'm a huge fan of Avery beers. You do get a good bang for your buck with the high ABV, and many of the seasonals are cellarable for a good number of years (one of these years I'll start doing that and do a vertical after 3-4 years).

Tonight, on a cold, snowy Colorado night, I'm drinking Avery's Old Jubilation Winter/Xmas brew. It's quite enjoyable. Very sweet and fruity with almost a burnt finish. It's also got just enough alcohol to warm without being a standard Avery beer (meaning I can enjoy more than one). My only complaint--and it's a small one--is that it's a little weak on the nose. This might be because I enjoy, and am used to, very hoppy, pungent beers.