Page 8 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 67891018581085081008 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

I still use a VCR

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    Beer Nutz is already using that theme, one of the HD channels--they visit breweries around the nation and rate them by barrels.
    FINALLY a reason to get HD!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

New Belgium Black Ale-a deep mahogany ale with a very mildly smoky flavor with hints of coffee and dark chocolate overtones. Perhaps some fig tastes, too. Another winner from Colorado. Thanks again, Lavabe. Tonite, hmmm-don't know what I will sample yet.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    New Belgium Black Ale-a deep mahogany ale with a very mildly smoky flavor with hints of coffee and dark chocolate overtones. Perhaps some fig tastes, too. Another winner from Colorado. Thanks again, Lavabe. Tonite, hmmm-don't know what I will sample yet.
    I'm drinking it as we speak. Also, I've got the second of my Schlafly Oatmeal Stouts percolating as the base of a pot of my famous beef stew (not to worry, I drank the first one and made sure to have a hefty taste of the second before dumping it in the pot)...should be yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'm drinking it as we speak. Also, I've got the second of my Schlafly Oatmeal Stouts percolating as the base of a pot of my famous beef stew (not to worry, I drank the first one and made sure to have a hefty taste of the second before dumping it in the pot)...should be yummy!
    Wilson, are you and Lavabe up for repeating last week's Saturday visit to that pub in Decatur?

After this week, I'm going to need a drink tonight, tomorrow night, Saturday night and all day Sunday.

-EarlJam

He ate his oatmeal stout

Sounds like Throaty may need to bring a bunch of Oatmeal Stouts to Winston.
    As the base of a stew... neat idea.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Wilson, are you and Lavabe up for repeating last week's Saturday visit to that pub in Decatur?

After this week, I'm going to need a drink tonight, tomorrow night, Saturday night and all day Sunday.

-EarlJam
    I still have your St. Louis brews, EJam. I have yet to figure out my schedule, except that Sunday is a no go. PM me so we can arrange on the phone.

The Fat Tire is a nice brew to celebrate your B-Day.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

I'm unfortunately a no-go this Saturday. Having a party at the homestead, so duty calls. And I guess that means my "no-go" status is really not that unfortunate after all.

Y'all just give me purchasing instructions; the caveat is you gotta come to Forsyth County over TG.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

ymm, beer

A brown ale might make a nice base for the stew also. Try the oatmeal stout with some chocolate chip cookies.

Schafly's

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Y'all just give me purchasing instructions; the caveat is you gotta come to Forsyth County over TG.
    Lavabe will be in DC over TG. If you will be in WS on Friday/Saturday, I will gladly make the journey with cash in hand and split the order-1/2 for me and 1/2 for Lavabe and if he would like to divvy it up among the Atlanta DBR folks, dat's his bizness' We shall try to formulate an order in the next several days and PM you with the specifics.

Nota bene

I'll be in DC during the week AFTER TG (academic conference). According to one of my colleagues, there's a Ghanaian bar that serves Madagascar Three Horses Beer.

Besides that, ya think there might be some DBR's up in DC?

Guess I ought to get one of those nice new DBR t-shirts. Makes a great stocking stuffer, along with some Schlafly's Winter Ale!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Ymm, beer

Schafly's Pale Ale-Think Bass Ale-a smooth, mildly hoppy ale resembling an English IPA which is typically not as hoppy(bitter) as an Americal IPA. Next, the Schafly's APA(American Pale Ale)

Spelling... the Grammar Police

Schafly's Pale Ale-Think Bass Ale-a smooth, mildly hoppy ale resembling an English IPA which is typically not as hoppy(bitter) as an Americal IPA. Next, the Schafly's APA(American Pale Ale)
    It's Schlafly, not Schafly.

Think the arch-conservative Phyllis Schlafly ... same family.

Gee... I hope this doesn't get bumped to the PPB!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    It's Schlafly, not Schafly.

Think the arch-conservative Phyllis Schlafly ... same family.

Gee... I hope this doesn't get bumped to the PPB!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    TWEEET!! Devildec has been whistled for not giving Schafly's enough 'ell'. I THINK I had proof read that but it slipped by my tired eyes. Schlafly's. Thank you for the correction(and the ales)

ymm, beer

Now batting, Schlafly's APA(AKA-American Pale Ale). This one is really good, folks. This bronze ale is dry-hopped, meaning a generous amount of hops is added dry in the fermenting/brewing process, also. It adds a puckering amount of bitterness to the final product which has a hint of citrus flavor/aroma(grapefruit?) in addition to a floral bouquet. Think IPA with this brew.

Talking My favorite beer wins a prize!!

From: http://www.dailypress.com/business/d...,1226895.story

"The 13th annual United States Beer Tasting Championship Summer Competition featured 421 beers from 169 breweries. St.George Brewing Company was named the Grand Champion for its Golden Ale within one of nine categories for types of beers."

I made the short trip up to Boulder yesterday to visit the Avery Brewing Co. and try to buy up any remaining bottles of their 2007 Beast offering that were sitting around. Although they didn't have any Beast left, I did take home a few bottles of Samael's Ale, which is their oak aged English Strong Ale (14.5% ABV) and the Czar (Russian Imperial Stout, 11% ABV). Both beers are excellent, although the Czar is much more drinkable. Samael's is only available in single 12-0z bottles, and that's probably all you need. It'd be a good after-dinner beer, especially in winter.

Also tried their upcoming IIPA release Gemini. They described it as a more drinkable IIPA when compared to their Maharaja offering, and I'd have to agree. Much less hoppy and very refreshing on what turned out to be a hot November day. I'd could see myself drinking several Geminis in a sitting, which I can't say for the Maharaja.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I made the short trip up to Boulder yesterday to visit the Avery Brewing Co. and try to buy up any remaining bottles of their 2007 Beast offering that were sitting around. Although they didn't have any Beast left, I did take home a few bottles of Samael's Ale, which is their oak aged English Strong Ale (14.5% ABV) and the Czar (Russian Imperial Stout, 11% ABV). Both beers are excellent, although the Czar is much more drinkable. Samael's is only available in single 12-0z bottles, and that's probably all you need. It'd be a good after-dinner beer, especially in winter.

Also tried their upcoming IIPA release Gemini. They described it as a more drinkable IIPA when compared to their Maharaja offering, and I'd have to agree. Much less hoppy and very refreshing on what turned out to be a hot November day. I'd could see myself drinking several Geminis in a sitting, which I can't say for the Maharaja.
    Lucky for you that NC changed their alcohol content laws last year and those strong ales are now available in NC or the seething waves of envy would have overcome me before I reached the end of your post. Both those offerings are potent brews and I often will only drink only 1/2 a bottle in a sitting and cork the remaining 6 ounces to enjoy the next night.

What is the % alcohol in the Gemini brew? IIRC, the Maharaja was 9-10% and I could only enjoy one of those in an evening. If the Gemini is anything close to that, I can't imagine enjoying several of those in a sitting.

What is the % alcohol in the Gemini brew? IIRC, the Maharaja was 9-10% and I could only enjoy one of those in an evening. If the Gemini is anything close to that, I can't imagine enjoying several of those in a sitting.
    The ABV in the Gemini is 8%, so just a slight difference, but it's noticeable. I agree on the Maharaja. It's one of my favorites that Avery makes, but I can't take down more than one a night.

I'm an importer-exporter.

So updates to the DevilDeac beer order will be posted here. First, tonight at Wild Oats, I got two 6ers of what I believe to be just about the last stash of Schlafly Pumpkin ale in the area. That stuff sold fast this year.

More anon.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine