Page 2071 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 107115711971202120612069207020712072207320812121217125713071 ... LastLast
Results 41,401 to 41,420 of 67397
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Didn't humanity figure that one out millennia ago? Shadows and a shorter comparison measure?

I'm sure DevilHorse could explain it in the Astronomy thread.

-jk
    Oh, yeah, but shadows are tricky things. Plus those methods work best on level ground and have large tolerances. I'm definitely not dealing with level ground. After the first few years where as budwom mentioned they leap, they definitely slow down growth wise. So, last year I got a measurement of 29 1/2 feet, this year I can tell the tree is taller but using shadows I only get 30 1/2 feet. Again with large tolerances, if I was high on the 29 and low on the 31, the growth rates appear more reasonable. Live oaks are generally viewed to grow 2-3 feet per year, but they clearly level off. My neighbor's tree is over 100 years old but hasn't gotten any taller than about 40'. But it is huge...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Oh, yeah, but shadows are tricky things. Plus those methods work best on level ground and have large tolerances. I'm definitely not dealing with level ground. After the first few years where as budwom mentioned they leap, they definitely slow down growth wise. So, last year I got a measurement of 29 1/2 feet, this year I can tell the tree is taller but using shadows I only get 30 1/2 feet. Again with large tolerances, if I was high on the 29 and low on the 31, the growth rates appear more reasonable. Live oaks are generally viewed to grow 2-3 feet per year, but they clearly level off. My neighbor's tree is over 100 years old but hasn't gotten any taller than about 40'. But it is huge...
    I live in a very shady neighborhood, with a tree canopy such that you almost can't see my house (or my neighbors') from google satellite view. I also can't back away far enough from any one to see the top.

I have a few modest oaks and some ginormous tulip poplars (the dominant tree hereabouts). The largest three have 10'+ girths (at 4 1/2'). These on 1/7 of an acre.

-jk

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    We have an extremely tall tree right next to our house. We have had it looked at to make sure it isn't damaging the foundation and to make sure it is in no danger of toppling over. Luckily, the answer to both questions is positive for us, no damage and no danger. I am not good at estimating heights but it is taller than the tower of our house (I live in a Victorian), so, I'm guessing at least 50 and probably more like 70 ft tall. PM me if you want to have a look at it on google maps (I'm not posting my address here.) We asked one tree expert how much it would cost to take it down. They told us minimum 10k and that was several years ago, probably twice that now. We did not have the 10k at the time. We have decided it's a problem for the next owners to tackle because for now, it's a beautiful healthy hemlock - that is still way too close to our house.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    We have an extremely tall tree right next to our house. We have had it looked at to make sure it isn't damaging the foundation and to make sure it is in no danger of toppling over. Luckily, the answer to both questions is positive for us, no damage and no danger. I am not good at estimating heights but it is taller than the tower of our house (I live in a Victorian), so, I'm guessing at least 50 and probably more like 70 ft tall. PM me if you want to have a look at it on google maps (I'm not posting my address here.) We asked one tree expert how much it would cost to take it down. They told us minimum 10k and that was several years ago, probably twice that now. We did not have the 10k at the time. We have decided it's a problem for the next owners to tackle because for now, it's a beautiful healthy hemlock - that is still way too close to our house.
    Big trees are surprisingly expensive to get down.

This is Terminator terrifying:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rogue-kil...110624193.html

We’re going to see some crazy sci-fi stuff the next few decades.

Enough to make me want to buy a cabin in the woods.

The Hawks are just pooping on the Knicks today and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Big trees are surprisingly expensive to get down.
    It gets cheaper when you have 150 of them blow down, and want someone to cut down another 350...we got a logger to do it for nothing, he thrives on our area, so many downed pines in the past 11 years...sells the tree for lumber or pulp value, suited us just fine.

And yet I've seen (as you state) plenty of cases where you need Crane Man to come in and take down a single tree for $1000 or more...current rate here for that roadshow (three or four trucks plus the crane, a chipper, lots of men) is $600 per hour I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It gets cheaper when you have 150 of them blow down, and want someone to cut down another 350...we got a logger to do it for nothing, he thrives on our area, so many downed pines in the past 11 years...sells the tree for lumber or pulp value, suited us just fine.

And yet I've seen (as you state) plenty of cases where you need Crane Man to come in and take down a single tree for $1000 or more...current rate here for that roadshow (three or four trucks plus the crane, a chipper, lots of men) is $600 per hour I believe.
    We had a dead oak - 50-60' tall - taken down recently for $900. They did it without a crane or climbing, taking it out from the bottom up. They tossed a bunch of ropes, and hung the dead tree from one of our almost-ginormous tulip poplars, lowering it down in three to four foot segments that they carried to the chipper. A sight to behold, and quick. It took them about 20 or 30 minutes to get all the ropes set up, then less than 20 minutes to chunk it down.

-jk

Watching the old Disney jungle book

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    We had a dead oak - 50-60' tall - taken down recently for $900. They did it without a crane or climbing, taking it out from the bottom up. They tossed a bunch of ropes, and hung the dead tree from one of our almost-ginormous tulip poplars, lowering it down in three to four foot segments that they carried to the chipper. A sight to behold, and quick. It took them about 20 or 30 minutes to get all the ropes set up, then less than 20 minutes to chunk it down.

-jk
    This post is no good without video.

I gave them a good bit of watering in their youth, using the fabulous A.M. Leonard water bags...

Our landscape guy gave us three three year rule of new plantings, sleep (year one), creep (year two) and leap (year three).
    Thanks! Just looked up these bags. Was not familiar - would have put in an order if they weren't out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    Thanks! Just looked up these bags. Was not familiar - would have put in an order if they weren't out of stock.
    what isn't out of stock these days? These water bags are great if you have new plantings and want to keep them viable, they worked great for me...

what isn't out of stock these days? These water bags are great if you have new plantings and want to keep them viable, they worked great for me...
    Perhaps I could find them in a brick and mortar place?

There are few things that make you feel more like a failure at everything than stubbing your toe or banging your knee or whopping your head on something.

There are few things that make you feel more like a failure at everything than stubbing your toe or banging your knee or whopping your head on something.
    If I hit my head on something I am pretty excited because that never happens. The other stuff I do so freaking much and I hate it!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    If I hit my head on something I am pretty excited because that never happens. The other stuff I do so freaking much and I hate it!
    Hah hah. Well, it doesn’t work that way in reverse unfortunately. Tall folk still bang their knees and stub their toes.

Hah hah. Well, it doesn’t work that way in reverse unfortunately. Tall folk still bang their knees and stub their toes.
    Yeah. But I'm short and goofy, not tall and goofy. Seems unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Yeah. But I'm short and goofy, not tall and goofy. Seems unfair.
    Maybe. But you can burrow in a pinch, which is an advantage in some situations.

Maybe. But you can burrow in a pinch, which is an advantage in some situations.
    Yeah. I can get smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    This post is no good without video.
    OK. I didn't record the whole thing, but here's part of it, as recorded from my balcony:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfy1qmefbw78pv2/Tree.mov?dl=0

-jk