Page 1976 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 97614761876192619661974197519761977197819862026207624762976 ... LastLast
Results 39,501 to 39,520 of 67660
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I do live in Texas now. I'll probably go truck shopping next week.
    You could move to Austin and get lobe gauges and only eat from food trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    You could move to Austin and get lobe gauges and only eat from food trucks.
    In my early twenties I had both ears pierced and almost went the lobe gauge route and this is the choice of body modification that I am most pleased I didn't adopt. I love my tattoos and I will get more of them but thank goodness I did not get lobe gauges. My wife married me with tattoos and both ears pierced and for some reason she is upset our daughter has her nose pierced and got two tattoos her first year in college. I am smart enough not to point out the weirdness in my wife's stance here.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    In my early twenties I had both ears pierced and almost went the lobe gauge route and this is the choice of body modification that I am most pleased I didn't adopt. I love my tattoos and I will get more of them but thank goodness I did not get lobe gauges. My wife married me with tattoos and both ears pierced and for some reason she is upset our daughter has her nose pierced and got two tattoos her first year in college. I am smart enough not to point out the weirdness in my wife's stance here.
    The ear gauges don’t grow fully back, I assume. My wife had a few piercings of the 90s girl variety and she still has the little puncture hole scars.

I just imagine someone with ear gauges trying to move through thick brush and getting their ear lobes caught on things. Definitely an impractical urban body modification. You could never be on any sort of survival show.

The ear gauges don’t grow fully back, I assume. My wife had a few piercings of the 90s girl variety and she still has the little puncture hole scars.

I just imagine someone with ear gauges trying to move through thick brush and getting their ear lobes caught on things. Definitely an impractical urban body modification. You could never be on any sort of survival show.
    Maybe once every year or so I will be giving a lecture or at dinner with some Physicians and one of the neonatologists will quietly point out that they can see that I had my ears pierced and they will share that they did too or have hidden tattoos. Everyone I work with recognizes that we are nerds but this is our opportunity to feel like King of the dorks.

Maybe once every year or so I will be giving a lecture or at dinner with some Physicians and one of the neonatologists will quietly point out that they can see that I had my ears pierced and they will share that they did too or have hidden tattoos. Everyone I work with recognizes that we are nerds but this is our opportunity to feel like King of the dorks.
    Some people are passionately pro or anti. I’m pretty indifferent (about most things that don’t impact me, actually). Not for me but if you want to tattoo your feet so it looks like you’re wearing Kermit keds, more power to you.

...if you want to tattoo your feet so it looks like you’re wearing Kermit keds, more power to you.
    Ahem, they're Adidas, and I don't have my Kermit tattoo yet.

Some people are passionately pro or anti. I’m pretty indifferent (about most things that don’t impact me, actually). Not for me but if you want to tattoo your feet so it looks like you’re wearing Kermit keds, more power to you.
    You're very good at callbacks and I am simultaneously impressed and a touch whizzed off.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    speaking of which, my friends: the new New Yorker has an amazing article on the gargantuan popularity of "French Tacos." They are not tacos as we know them, and the term for one is a "tacos," but they sure sound great to me...huge fast food chains have sprung up over this marvel. Let me quote from the article:

"a flour tortilla, slathered with condiments, piled with meat, usually halal, and other things (usually french fries)doused in cheese sauce, folded into a rectangular packet, then toasted on a grill." Origins are unclear, but there certainly seems to be some Algerian influence...they term it "a rather successful marriage between panini, kebab and burrito." They've been around for about 20 years, and have become gigantically popular.

This is THE junk food of the French, with a great "cost to calorie" ratio...When you order, you look at various columns and choose: the size, the meat, the sauce (great choices) and the extras.

The author raved about her choice: "The Original" with sauce Algerienne, chicken breast and cheddar, with internal fries and cheese sauce, made with creme fraiche and Gruyere, big enough for "bicep curls."

All this popped up in the environs of Lyons in southern France.

And by the way, the article notes that despite what some think, the French love junk food, and a 2015 study showed that half the population is now overweight or obese...
    Not that I don't believe it, but, if they are using BMI as the criteria, overweight for someone who is 5' 9" is 165 pounds. Also, years ago, when that one woman claimed that "French women don't get fat", I wanted to ask her how many cigarettes she smoked every day. There are trade offs.

I had my ears pierced as a teenager then I went through a period where I rarely wore earrings and the holes closed up. I had them pierced again in my early 20s and, since it was trendy at the time, I had one them pierced again so that I could wear 3 earrings, often none of them matching. Then I went through another period where I rarely wore earrings and the holes closed up. If you pinch my earlobes, you can feel the scars from the previous piercings but I don't if you can tell by looking at them. I'll have to check with a mirror. I think even back then, I probably had the nickel allergy, as both prolonged periods of not wearing earrings was brought on by finding that most earrings made my ears feel itchy. It just got worse over time. I cannot wear any jewelry with nickel in it (no, not even 24 ct gold). You know how some people can't be on an airplane if they are serving peanuts? If I spend time in contact with a metal alloy containing even trace amounts of nickel, I will react. I have had allergic reactions to the metallic thread in a pair of sandals. I have allergic reactions to black and dark green nylon socks because of the amount of nickel in the dye.

No piercings or tattoos here. Never held any interest for me.

I left a mess in aisle 5.

411BF007-15BB-41C0-9F66-3F93550FB4FA.jpg

RIP Shock G of Digital Underground. They were crazy and off kilter and gave Tupac his start as backup.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Ahem, they're Adidas, and I don't have my Kermit tattoo yet.
    Hah. Wondered if were reading!

You're very good at callbacks and I am simultaneously impressed and a touch whizzed off.
    I don’t think I’m very good at many things but listening (in this case, reading) to people when they tell me things is one of them.

My wife hates it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Do you know how organized you would have to be to pull that off?!?!

7 is hard enough as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Not that I don't believe it, but, if they are using BMI as the criteria, overweight for someone who is 5' 9" is 165 pounds. Also, years ago, when that one woman claimed that "French women don't get fat", I wanted to ask her how many cigarettes she smoked every day. There are trade offs.
    hey, there was no mention of BMI, I know all about that issue... I'm just repeating what the article had to say...I do think it's safe to say, however, that the traditionally lean French are becoming less so. Eating tacos as described in this article is certainly a contributing factor, the popularity of these things is pretty remarkable.

Do you know how organized you would have to be to pull that off?!?!

7 is hard enough as it is.
    “I’m very well-acquainted
    With the Seven Deadly Sins.
    I keep a busy schedule
    To try and fit them in. . . .”

— Warren Zevon

Roasted a few turkey breasts and carved them up for lunch sammies with leftover guacamole and cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    hey, there was no mention of BMI, I know all about that issue... I'm just repeating what the article had to say...I do think it's safe to say, however, that the traditionally lean French are becoming less so. Eating tacos as described in this article is certainly a contributing factor, the popularity of these things is pretty remarkable.
    I realize that - but you gotta use something to label people "overweight" and the most common measure people use is BMI. So, whenever I read that such and such percentage of a population is overweight, I want to know exactly what they mean by that.