Page 1765 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 76512651665171517551763176417651766176717751815186522652765 ... LastLast
Results 35,281 to 35,300 of 67405
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    NW NC? So... Boone?
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Roughly any area serviced by the Winston-Salem Journal. This is a rough list but give or take.
    Alexander
    Allegheny
    Ashe
    Caldwell
    Davie
    Forsyth
    Iredell
    Stokes
    Surry
    Watauga
    Wilkes
    Yadkin

I would throw in Davidson, Catawba and Rowan, but hell, I'm an inclusive guy.
    Having grown up in actual western North Carolina, it always cracks me up when people from "Down East" talk about what they consider the western part of the state.

FWIW, there was a time when I considered Asheville "Down East", so what do I know?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Having grown up in actual western North Carolina, it always cracks me up when people from "Down East" talk about what they consider the western part of the state.

FWIW, there was a time when I considered Asheville "Down East", so what do I know?
    I think Clemmons said NW NC though, not Western NC, which I've always thought of as different.

Western NC is basically the pointy part, west of greater Charlotte area and/or the Catawba River. Well, that's what I've always meant by western NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I think Clemmons said NW NC though, not Western NC, which I've always thought of as different.
    Absolutely. I wasn't claiming it was a rational/logical thought that I had. Just including the 'W' in the cardinal direction is enough to spark my misguided outrage!

Western NC is basically the pointy part, west of greater Charlotte area and/or the Catawba River. Well, that's what I've always meant by western NC.
    To me, it's Asheville and the 2+ hours west of Asheville. Everything else is the "Piedmont" or "Eastern" NC.

Yes, I took NC history/geography in 8th grade. No, I didn't learn anything

Absolutely. I wasn't claiming it was a rational/logical thought that I had. Just including the 'W' in the cardinal direction is enough to spark my misguided outrage!
    Today is all about misguided outrage. Have a shot of Laphroaig and read some Hemingway, you'll be properly outraged by the end of that!

I love misguided outrage! Let's hang out!

I first learned how far West NC goes when I camped at Fontana Lake one weekend while allegedly "studying" at Duke...

To me, it's Asheville and the 2+ hours west of Asheville. Everything else is the "Piedmont" or "Eastern" NC.

Yes, I took NC history/geography in 8th grade. No, I didn't learn anything
    I think our general notions of what constitutes western NC are fairly similar. At least Western Carolina University is in western Carolina, by both our definitions.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I first learned how far West NC goes when I camped at Fontana Lake one weekend while allegedly "studying" at Duke...
    I grew up in Mt Airy and I lived closer to Wilmington than Hothouse, NC. Wrap your mind around that little tidbit of information. Western NC is waaaaay out there. Hothouse is west of Detroit.

I remember friends at Duke from the Northeast asking me sometimes why we never took weekend road trips to Atlanta. I would respond with, "Why don't we take weekend road trips to Philly?" Same distance (ok, ok, Atlanta is a tiny bit closer.)

You've heard of the term chick lit, I'm sure. Well, Hemingway, IMHO, is the epitome of <<male anatomy that rhymes with chick>> lit. Fitzgerald I will read any day. And if you want to make me read more books by WWI veterans, I'll take Tokien. Want to make me read about the war itself from WWI veteran? Ok, give me All Quiet on the Western Front. Want me to read about other wars? Ok, Red Badge of Courage or The English Patient (if you have only seen the movie, you don't know what the book is about). Other books about war that I have yet to read because, tbh, not a favorite genre of mine, but maybe we should consider And Then We Heard the Thunder or The Yellow Birds. And yes, I'm coming up with this list thinking about books that might be better choices for high school English classes because if if weren't for high school English classes, I would have put down the Hemingway after about 30 pages.
    The English Patient is damn near a perfect book.

I'll account for taste, but I would also put The Old Man and The Sea on a very short list of my own favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The English Patient is damn near a perfect book.

I'll account for taste, but I would also put The Old Man and The Sea on a very short list of my own favorites.
    I have an autographed 1st Edition of The English Patient. Michael Ondaatje has my undying love. And if my life depended on reading more Hemingway, it would be The Old Man and The Sea, so, perhaps this discussion need not come to blows.

Somewhere Clemmons is saying "Dang nabbit!"

I have an autographed 1st Edition of The English Patient. Michael Ondaatje has my undying love. And if my life depended on reading more Hemingway, it would be The Old Man and The Sea, so, perhaps this discussion need not come to blows.

Somewhere Clemmons is saying "Dang nabbit!"
    In Charleston. In Charleston and I'm saying that.

I remember friends at Duke from the Northeast asking me sometimes why we never took weekend road trips to Atlanta. I would respond with, "Why don't we take weekend road trips to Philly?" Same distance (ok, ok, Atlanta is a tiny bit closer.)
    I used to get, “oh, you’re from Texas, do you know so and so?”

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I get that more when meeting people from other countries. I mean, I get it if you're from Iceland, cause you probably do know so and so.

I get that more when meeting people from other countries. I mean, I get it if you're from Iceland, cause you probably do know so and so.
    Exactly. Other countries like Texas! 😃

You can fit 5 North Carolinas in Texas.

Speaking of Texas. I am going to Lewis BBQ in Charleston on Sunday. Charleston is a culinary delight anyway, but Lewis BBQ and Rodney Scott's are as good as it gets for Texas style brisket (John Lewis learned his trade in Austin and his brisket is sublime) and whole hog BBQ (Rodney Scott's). Tonight is a seafood night!

https://www.theringer.com/2017/8/22/16180430/soul-of-barbecue-charleston-south-carolina

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    You can fit 5 North Carolinas in Texas.
    Texas is huge. On a somewhat related note you can fit 68 earths in Uranus.