Page 1448 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 4489481348139814381446144714481449145014581498154819482448 ... LastLast
Results 28,941 to 28,960 of 67390
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    OK - now time for more black puzzle pieces.

I wonder if it would be easier if I drank beer while I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    It's a fun read. Its accuracy is a bit iffy here and there, though.

-jk

Good morning!

calling local HVAC savant today, considering a/c...previously this was heresy in New England, but no longer...if we're going to be cooped up at home for another year (and I suspect we will) I'm gonna be comfy.

Wouldn't you just drop a note if you weren't going to make an interview?

Ugh. I could have used more sleep this morning had I known.

Just curious. Has anyone else noticed a lack of mosquitoes this year? I haven’t seen a single one in my backyard so far, where we are normally overrun with them. We haven’t sprayed, and have had ample rain with some standing water. Highly unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Just curious. Has anyone else noticed a lack of mosquitoes this year? I haven’t seen a single one in my backyard so far, where we are normally overrun with them. We haven’t sprayed, and have had ample rain with some standing water. Highly unusual.
    We haven't had this "problem."
    Been through quite a few of these in the last few months:
    mosquito-repellent-incense-sticks-12-pack.jpg

Ours just got really bad in the last couple weeks.

(Insert my usual plug for "Off! Mosquito Lamps" - a couple really work on our 250 sf deck. And a stink eye towards citronella.)

-jk

Been very very dry here, not too many skeeters, though July is Deer Fly Month. Hate those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    calling local HVAC savant today, considering a/c...previously this was heresy in New England, but no longer...if we're going to be cooped up at home for another year (and I suspect we will) I'm gonna be comfy.
    Do you have ducting from you heating system or are you on radiators, etc.? If the later, a mini split system would seem to be ideal for you.

https://www.fujitsugeneral.com/us/re...ini-split.html

I've had to kill a couple that got in but not too bad really. We had a cold winter which helps.

Been very very dry here, not too many skeeters, though July is Deer Fly Month. Hate those guys.
    Are they anything like the horse flies that plagued us as the pool when I was a kid? Man, I hated them.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Do you have ducting from you heating system or are you on radiators, etc.? If the later, a mini split system would seem to be ideal for you.

https://www.fujitsugeneral.com/us/re...ini-split.html
    Fourteen years ago we put in a mini split system for our basement only, which has a bedroom we use in hot weather. We love it. At that time I tried to talk my wife into a system for the whole house. She wouldn't go along for aesthetic reasons. She now regrets that position...though I am refraining from I Told You So type talk...

So yes, we have a nice furnace and baseboard hot water heating (which we'll need anyway because the heat pumps even now aren't super efficient below 20 degrees or so, advertisement notwithstanding) and a nice mini split system would work nicely...

Fourteen years ago we put in a mini split system for our basement only, which has a bedroom we use in hot weather. We love it. At that time I tried to talk my wife into a system for the whole house. She wouldn't go along for aesthetic reasons. She now regrets that position...though I am refraining from I Told You So type talk...

So yes, we have a nice furnace and baseboard hot water heating (which we'll need anyway because the heat pumps even now aren't super efficient below 20 degrees or so, advertisement notwithstanding) and a nice mini split system would work nicely...

They do seem to work well if one can tolerate the in room exchangers, etc.

I kinda have no idea what you're talking about. Other than air conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Ductwork is cumbersome and difficult to install in an already built house. A mini-split system moves the refrigerant around as opposed to cold air through ductwork. So, it eliminates the ductwork concern but does place an exchanger/air handler into the room. Some might view those as too big/intrusive compared to the cleaner lines of a ductwork solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Isn't there an Mmm, AC thread somewhere?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Isn't there an Mmm, AC thread somewhere?

-jk
    We could start a Whew, A/C thread.