Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So Zion Wanted to Come Back This Year?

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    i think it was said, maybe by him, that had he not healed up, he would have come back for round 2. Now, I imagine coach K would have told him straight up that moving on was probably the right decision.

I hope that he continues to be a great representative for the university.
    April 1

I was employed as a HS athlete college placement director for 6 years. Giving and a player, their family and such clear and honest feedback is not always easy. It would have been a no brainer that K would have taken another year from Zion, but like what was written, what was left for him in college? Everything he needed for development he could get in the Pro's.

As a fan, I would have loved to seen him on this team next to Vernon, but as a professional who guides young adults, K was correct.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That ship has sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Well worth every bit of the 28 minutes to watch. All three participants (JJ, Zion, and Tommy Alter) are incredibly engaging. Really good stuff.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Yeah.

Zion wanting to stay was evident and common knowledge.

Last time he said he would have came back if the money wasn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i think it was said, maybe by him, that had he not healed up, he would have come back for round 2. Now, I imagine coach K would have told him straight up that moving on was probably the right decision.

I hope that he continues to be a great representative for the university.
    In what scenario or world is Zion not going pro the right move?

He is the most marketable rookie since Lebron. Duke is a pawn compared to Zion in the NBA.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I want to eat ice cream, pie, and steak for every meal, every day... but that doesn't mean it is a good idea or I am really considering doing it.

That said, I love that Zion so enjoyed his time at Duke that he wished it could last longer. That says a lot about the Brotherhood and the staff.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

He is the most marketable rookie since Lebron. Duke is a pawn compared to Zion in the NBA.
    A world where one believes money isn’t everything. My experience at college was the best 4 years of my life and helped me grow into an adult.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Not gonna lie, reading this made my heart hurt just a bit. So many one-and-dones have said the right things and “gone through the motions” about loving their college experience and considering a year 2. It honestly seems like this isn’t just talk from Zion. Obviously he made the right choice, but thinking of the possibilities again is like reopening an old scab, haha.

On the bright side: what a recruiting tool! “Zion loved his time here so much we had to convince him to go pro. You wanna come to Duke?”

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    A world where one believes money isn’t everything. My experience at college was the best 4 years of my life and helped me grow into an adult.
    I assume you were a D1 athlete who had the opportunity to make $10M+ per year for the next 15-20 years?

And if I were to offer you this $10M+ per year after you freshman year, you'd say no?

College was amazing. The second best time of my life after business school. But I'm not saying no to that kind of money if i was offered.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Not gonna lie, reading this made my heart hurt just a bit. So many one-and-dones have said the right things and “gone through the motions” about loving their college experience and considering a year 2. It honestly seems like this isn’t just talk from Zion. Obviously he made the right choice, but thinking of the possibilities again is like reopening an old scab, haha.

On the bright side: what a recruiting tool! “Zion loved his time here so much we had to convince him to go pro. You wanna come to Duke?”
    You actually believe Zion or you think this is PR? Kinda like when you tell your ex "it's not you, it's me"?

I truly think Zion loves Duke. I think Zion likes potential world domination better (as he should).

You actually believe Zion or you think this is PR? Kinda like when you tell your ex "it's not you, it's me"?

I truly think Zion loves Duke. I think Zion likes potential world domination better (as he should).
    Yeah, I imagine some kids coming through Duke are just antsy to move on and some are still basically kids, albeit high performing ones. For the kids, I’m sure there’s a sense of nostalgia and a general awareness of what becoming a global brand means they have to give up. Zion strikes me as in the second group and I can think of a few guys that have come through that thought they were Zion types and were in that first group...and were later disappointed.

in a world where his family is already worth 100 million dollars, and he wants to hang with his friends and wreck people for another year.

Where he wants to win a natty and actually get the opportunity to torch UNC in cameron.

College is fun. I have no doubt that many players find playing in college more fun than playing in the NBA.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Weak sauce, a platitude, a cliche, and way too shallow to really explain the nuances of the Zion dynamic. Money isn't everything, but money is important, and risk is a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I want to eat ice cream, pie, and steak for every meal, every day... but that doesn't mean it is a good idea ...
    Ummm ... (mumbling with mouth full) … what?

Completely tangential...

I loved my college experience, and had more fun than I deserved.
    That said, I like to believe the best times of my life are always ahead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Completely tangential...

I loved my college experience, and had more fun than I deserved.
    That said, I like to believe the best times of my life are always ahead of me.
    While I'm sure many think that way, even if one does, there's always some tradeoff. I'm not sure anyone will ever be in a place where friends are in such close proximity at almost all hours, nor where you can have the opportunity to learn, usually unencumbered by being committed to someone paying your livelihood.

I've been lucky enough to keep some of that in my life still, and definitely having a great time in life, but there are still things I miss about my time at duke, and I imagine that's true of many if not most alumni.

The alcohol is a lot better now
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Another one of your paintings?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.