Page 661 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 16156161165165966066166266367171176111611661 ... LastLast
Results 13,201 to 13,220 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Another on the list of now owned by big beer (Constellation), do you buy or not?
    Likely not for me. I think my last Ballast purchases were a 6er of Victory at Sea and 2 bomber variants, peppermint and chocolate (?). There are too many true craft brewers out there to support "big beer." Uh-oh, is that PPB material ?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Hoping luburch and davec have recovered enough from their Indiana beer festival yesterday to tease us with what they sampled .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    A post of sincere public appreciation for fuse for the Lost Province suggestion in the continuing education on this thread. I'd suspect the joint is packed on Fridays and Saturdays with their entertainment schedule (check ahead). Thursdays might also be crowded as they have $10 single topping pizzas (usually about $13-14) and $3 pints. Strange that they were half full at noon on Saturday before we arrived but packed with a 45 minute wait at 2PM when we finally got there. .
    The draft list changes every time we have been there. Of the one you tried that I have had, Mosaic is my favorite. LP makes great beer.
    Feeling insanely jealous. Love Lost Province. It is a must-visit for us in Boone.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Feeling insanely jealous. Love Lost Province. It is a must-visit for us in Boone.
    Don't be. I think they'll be open throughout the rest of the summer and fall...

Plus, they'll brew more beer .

Beer festival went extremely well. Could not have asked for better weather.

Believe my favorite beer came from Triton yesterday. The Hometown Hero with white chocolate. Had a lot of good brews, but this was one stands out the most.

Aviator Cucatan (?)

Tried with lunch at Taco Mac.

I think a cucumber lime saison, not found by the Cucatan name on the Aviator website.

Pretty good as far as Aviator beers go.
    Refreshing.

Likely not for me. I think my last Ballast purchases were a 6er of Victory at Sea and 2 bomber variants, peppermint and chocolate (?). There are too many true craft brewers out there to support "big beer." Uh-oh, is that PPB material ?
    A San Diego friend swears by Victory at Sea and Sculpin. I like their Koelsch.

Would personally be much tougher to give up Lagunitas. Their Czech Style Pilsner is the best American brewed Pils I've had. Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is also very good and roughly my outer limit for hoppiness.

Have had an entertaining 24 hours listening to various chuckleheads pimp their geographically biased Bay Area (SF, East Bay, South Bay) proposed Oktoberfest pub crawl itineraries. Sadly all are far less persuasive when sober...

We got "Lost" after driving/touring/walking/hiking on Grandfather Mountain this AM.

Alpine Meadows (draft)-Lost Province Brewing Company

Drink local! (Boone)

Beer #1 from a four beer sampler (16 ounces total). (well, plus a couple big gulps from the older son-in-law's pint and half pint)

Labeled a French Farmhouse Ale, it lived up to its name. Pour was a light straw color with a thin head. Grassy nose with light pears, apples and floral tastes. IBUs were 24 and the ABV was 6.2%. This would have been tasty with a berry-laden mixed green salad.
    Hope you went on the Tanawha trail to the top observation deck. I think it is better than at the top of the attraction itself.

ricks

3F Dreadnaught

Another devildeac delivery special.

Pine and lemon nose.
    Bitingly bitter, tropical fruit intertwined in an odd dance on the tongue.

There is a scent in the nose I can't describe.

I thought this would be a good pairing with buffalo chicken.
    Not a bad match, and the flavours (maybe the Buffalo heat?) clashed a bit.

Good beer, glad I got a chance to try it.
    Cheers!
    3F Arctic Panzer Wolf went unfinished. Similar flavours to Dreadnaught minus the fruit. Overwhelming pine and gasoline flavours.

Given the similarity between the two beers, guessing there may be a common hop or malt, or brewing process that just doesn't hit my palate right.

Glad to have tried it. Thanks again devildeac!

Anyone with time on their hands should watch Steve Harvey Funderdome tonight. My buddy and former coworker is featured tonight with his beer-friendly invention.

Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Anyone with time on their hands should watch Steve Harvey Funderdome tonight. My buddy and former coworker is featured tonight with his beer-friendly invention.

Check it out.
    He won!

Aviator Cucatan (?)

Tried with lunch at Taco Mac.

I think a cucumber lime saison, not found by the Cucatan name on the Aviator website.

Pretty good as far as Aviator beers go.
    Refreshing.
    Looks/sounds like this one:

"CUCUMBER LIME SAISON SOUR

30barrel_1000x1000
    Available in 50L kegs, and 1/6bbl kegs
    5.0% alc/vol SRM: 6 IBU: 25
    A refreshing sour ale with hints of lime and cucumber. Cloudy brew served best with chicken and fish. This beer is brewed with fresh limes in the mash, wheat, barley, and crystal malts. The secondary fermentation is done in foeders (big oak tanks) to add the character of wood and sour to the beer. Once aged the beer is infused with fresh cucumber. Great refreshing beer style best served with a lime on the rim of your beer glass!"

It was on their chalkboard May 12 when we sipped and dined there and called "Cukeaton Cucumber-Lime Saison." I did not taste this one.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post

Believe my favorite beer came from Triton yesterday. The Hometown Hero with white chocolate. Had a lot of good brews, but this was one stands out the most.
    Dang, a beer with a pitchfork emblem.

http://www.tritonbrewing.com/wp-cont...SeriesIcon.png

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Hope you went on the Tanawha trail to the top observation deck. I think it is better than at the top of the attraction itself.

ricks
    We took a short hike across the parking lot from the "main attraction" and enjoyed that a lot. Not sure what it was called. Fed the grandkids half a peanut butter sammich each on "The Patio," a small clearing at the top of that trail.

3F Arctic Panzer Wolf went unfinished. Similar flavours to Dreadnaught minus the fruit. Overwhelming pine and gasoline flavours.

Given the similarity between the two beers, guessing there may be a common hop or malt, or brewing process that just doesn't hit my palate right.

Glad to have tried it. Thanks again devildeac!
    Oops. I'm not looking forward to my bottles then, despite enjoying both of them on draft last September.

Pink Drink-HiWire Brewing (aka The Three Ring Brewing Company)

An Ashevillian is going to have to explain the brewery names to me .

A tart wheat ale brewed with raspberries and lemongrass. So, what do you get? You get a 16 ounce can from fuse (thanks!), that looks like raspberry lemonade. There was a small head and a somewhat sour/tart nose and a bit more prominent sour/tart tastes. Unsweetened raspberry lemonade? Sour Patch Kids/Warheads sour lemon/raspberry candy? My palate says "Gose," especially with IBUs of 5 (are there even any hops in this brew? ) and a crushable ABV of 4.2%. I think you pair this with a small bowl of berries and summer melons. Very interesting and refreshing brew.

G&T Gose-Anderson Valley Brewing Company

A 12 ounce trader can from fuse last week. Thanks!

Pour was a straw-yellow with a modest, fizzy head that was gone in 54 seconds. Salty lemon-lime scents, followed by more salt, unsweetened (?) lemon-lime soda with twists of rinds of each. I don't know whether these are added or what their PR department thinks one should perceive as aromas and tastes: "lemon peel, juniper, lemongrass, and grains of paradise." There's a trace of gin on the palate but it's not added, nor is it gin barrel-aged. No IBUs listed but I'd guess <10 and the ABV is low as expected at 4.2%. Perhaps pair with some soft cheeses? Yet another very interesting variant on the gose style.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post

I hope davec is ok.

https://flipboard.com/@flipboard/-bu...%2Freuters.com

Probiotics in beer sounds ok to me as long as it did not impact the taste.

The scary part? Hops kill probiotics, so they had to find probiotics to "overcome" the hops. If hops are a preservative, I wonder about possible shelf life as well as spoilage/infection.

I hope davec is ok.
    Just needed an extra day to recover; I'm not as young as I used to be. Some of my favorites:

New Holland Dragon's Milk Reserve S'mores - a twist on their standard bourbon barrel stout. Loved it!
    Bare Hands Citrazaic (not sure of spelling) - awesome citra IPA
    everything else i tried from Bare Hands (probably 10 beers total) - they make a lot of really great beers across various styles
    Evil Czech Plato Black Lager with Raspberries - i'm not a huge fruit beer fan, but this was very nice.
    3F Zombie Dust - still great.

I know there were more, but things got a bit hazy.