Page 170 of 249 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220 ... LastLast
Results 3,381 to 3,400 of 4966
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    There's a new recruiting target on the radar: Jordan Goldwire. Based on his list of offers (Eastern Kentucky, Coastal Carolina, Hofstra, etc), Goldwire is a 4-year PG, i.e. do not panic and think this means anything about Duval or the 2018 targets like Tre Jones or Darius Garland (who project to be 2-3 year players).

I haven't dug into him enough to figure out whether he's more Andre Buckner or Tyler Thornton yet.

Goldwire has already been Crystal Ball'ed to Duke by the 247 guys.

Andrew Slater‏ @ASlater247 54m54 minutes ago
    PG Jordan Goldwire'17 @j_gold11 of @NorcrossHoops & @teamunitedhoops is on a visit to #Duke http://247sports.com/player/jordan-goldwire-93766 …
    My highly uneducated read on this is that this is more like Buckner. It looks like UNLV was also quite interested. He is on the same HS team as a UGA recruit and a Louisville recruit (named Lance Thomas!). With him, O'Connell and Wendell we would really have the market cornered on ATL-area recruits.

There's a new recruiting target on the radar: Jordan Goldwire. Based on his list of offers (Eastern Kentucky, Coastal Carolina, Hofstra, etc), Goldwire is a 4-year PG, i.e. do not panic and think this means anything about Duval or the 2018 targets like Tre Jones or Darius Garland (who project to be 2-3 year players).

I haven't dug into him enough to figure out whether he's more Andre Buckner or Tyler Thornton yet.

Goldwire has already been Crystal Ball'ed to Duke by the 247 guys.

Andrew Slater‏ @ASlater247 54m54 minutes ago
    PG Jordan Goldwire'17 @j_gold11 of @NorcrossHoops & @teamunitedhoops is on a visit to #Duke http://247sports.com/player/jordan-goldwire-93766 …
    I don't think he is as highly rated as Thornton was, but probably higher rated than Buckner. For what it is worth.

Goldwire would seem to be about Duval and/or Frank rather than Tre or Garland.

I have no idea how serious Duke's interest is, but Goldwire does have a Duke connection -- he was Alex O'Connell's backup on Team Spirit at the Nike EBYL camp

I know that he is rated higher than Andre Buckner, who was going to Tennessee as a walk-on. He got a Duke offer when Will Avery unexpectedly turned pro. K wanted another point guard to give coming freshman Jason Williams somebody else to practice against. Buckner did his job well and earned a national title ring in 2001. He was never much of a factor in any game (actually, he did make a solid contribution to a Duke win at Clemson, when he came off the bench when Duke was struggling and provided a strong 2-3 minute stint).

Tyler Thornton was a MUCH higher rated prospect.

This will be interesting. Goldwire has several scholarship offers -- he was supposedly down to Eastern Kentucky or UNLV or maybe Hofstra.

We'll see (1) if Duke offers; (2) if he wants to come to Duke and be a practice player for at least a year.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    Goldwire would seem to be about Duval and/or Frank rather than Tre or Garland.
    I think it's unrelated to Duval or Frank. The sign for missing out on Duval or Frank would be getting involved with a quality grad transfer, imo, because Goldwire would be an inadequate replacement, at least as a freshman. I think this is Duke just wanting to lock up a 4-year PG who can serve as a backup and practice player.

maybe

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    My highly uneducated read on this is that this is more like Buckner.
    He's insurance in case Roy Williams retires and UNC hires Matt Doheryy.

I think it's unrelated to Duval or Frank. The sign for missing out on Duval or Frank would be getting involved with a quality grad transfer, imo, because Goldwire would be an inadequate replacement, at least as a freshman. I think this is Duke just wanting to lock up a 4-year PG who can serve as a backup and practice player.
    Makes sense. K could manage scholly players 11-13 better. Maybe use one for a transfer and the other two to reward deserving walk on practice players.

There's this tendency to think about recruits only within the context of their freshman year. A minority of players leave Duke after their freshman year, about 2 on average over the past 4 seasons (Parker in 2014; Jones, Okafor, and Winslow in 2015; Ingram and Thornton in 2016; and Giles and Tatum in 2017). It makes sense the staff is looking at another guard in this class with an eye towards 2018-19 and beyond.

After this season, Duke is sure to be without the services of Grayson Allen and Frank Jackson. If (and I think he does) Jackson returns for another year, he's certainly only going to be at Duke for another year. If Duke lands Trevon Duval as all signs seem to indicate, he will be one of those one-and-done players. Duke has four projected guards in the rotation for 2017-18 and 3 of them are almost certainly going to be off to the pros after the season. That leaves the possibility (50/50) of Gary Trent, Jr. sticking around and Alex O'Connell.

Goldwire and O'Connell are investments and insurance policies for Duke. They are the guys that could pay off down the road while at least providing some sort of continuity from year to year.

Looks like UNC got a late commitment from Garrison Brooks, who was originally committed to Mississippi St., but was released recently.

He is a 6'10" 4-star center from Auburn, AL.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Looks like UNC got a late commitment from Garrison Brooks, who was originally committed to Mississippi St., but was released recently.

He is a 6'10" 4-star center from Auburn, AL.
    This was first reported about a week ago. Brooks is a decent prospect, ranked as a top 100-150 recruit by most gurus. He is slightly more highly regarded than the other 2 big men Carolina has coming in next year. Still, he is not someone that one would expect to be a starter from day one on an ACC team... but if Bradley stays in the draft that will likely be his role (unless Carolina goes really, really, really small with Maye at center alongside guard/wings Pinson, Berry, and 2 out of Jalek Felton, Kenny Williams, Seventh Woods, and Brandon Robinson).

-Jason "UNC's recruiting for the class of 2017 looks like something you might expect from Clemson, Va Tech, or Wake... not bad, but not nearly elite" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Jordan Goldwire Recruitment

He comes from a great HS program, but his is the only mixtape I've seen to date showing a banked-in three pointer(from top of the key/non-game ending)at the 1:16 mark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GA2w4qRvw
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Buckner did his job well and earned a national title ring in 2001. He was never much of a factor in any game...
    How soon we forget one of the greatest moments in the history of the rivalry
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxxCWbde6sc&t=1m42s

I agree. I don't think it is Duval or Frank "insurance" either. I think he is more along the lines of Vrank in PG form. Practice player who likely sees nothing but blowout minutes his first two years. Will probably see rotation minutes his last two years if things go well and could see extended rotation minutes those last 2 years if somebody unexpectedly goes pro or transfers.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    He comes from a great HS program, but his is the only mixtape I've seen to date showing a banked-in three pointer(from top of the key/non-game ending)at the 1:16 mark.
    With a name like Goldwire, the bank is always open.

Per 247 - Goldwire is at Duke today

Promising

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    Sounds like Nick Horvath! Can't wait to read the pickup reports.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Sounds like Nick Horvath! Can't wait to read the pickup reports.
    I think this guy is being offered to replace Pags. He's never going to play, but if he wants to get a free Duke education and work his butt off every day in practice, then that is awesome.

I don't think it has anything to do with Frank, and I'm really sure it doesn't have anything to do with Duval, Tre Jones, Darius Garland, etc.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Well, goldwire committed per his twitter. That's quick.

Welcome Jordan!!

Welcome to Duke Jordan!

Likely four year player.
    Solid PG back-up, especially in later years.
    Good practice player.
    Appears to have his act together upstairs - so a good influence there (a future captain?).
    Sounds great!