Page 609 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 10950955959960760860961061161965970911091609 ... LastLast
Results 12,161 to 12,180 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Star-Rye Braggot (draft)-Compass Rose Brewery

Why? Because there's no Ymm, Mead or Ymm, Braggot threads .

I'm not sure if this is their product or a collaboration with Starr Hill (?) brewery in VA. Or, a braggot made with rye. I oughtta drive 2 miles from my house to the brewery tonight or tomorrow and ask them . Noble intentions to visit but never taken the short jaunt.

This was a 2 ounce sample before my half pint of KBS about an hour ago as a 10% ABV was all I needed before the high gravity KBS. Pour was a medium amber with a small, tan head. Given the style, I'm surprised there was any foam at all, guessing there was a modest amount of ale mixed/blended/brewed with the mead. It was slightly cloudy with a sugary/syrupy nose. Bitterness was minimal with no IBUs listed either on Taphunter or the Bottle Revolution electronic beer board. I'll guess maybe 10 IBUs. Almost syrupy consistency with pronounced honey-ish/caramel-y tastes and lightly toasted grains. Pairings? Maybe chicken breast or a hunk of grilled salmon with bourbon-BBQ basting?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Star-Rye Braggot (draft)-Compass Rose Brewery

Why? Because there's no Ymm, Mead or Ymm, Braggot threads .

I'm not sure if this is their product or a collaboration with Starr Hill (?) brewery in VA. Or, a braggot made with rye. I oughtta drive 2 miles from my house to the brewery tonight or tomorrow and ask them . Noble intentions to visit but never taken the short jaunt.

This was a 2 ounce sample before my half pint of KBS about an hour ago as a 10% ABV was all I needed before the high gravity KBS. Pour was a medium amber with a small, tan head. Given the style, I'm surprised there was any foam at all, guessing there was a modest amount of ale mixed/blended/brewed with the mead. It was slightly cloudy with a sugary/syrupy nose. Bitterness was minimal with no IBUs listed either on Taphunter or the Bottle Revolution electronic beer board. I'll guess maybe 10 IBUs. Almost syrupy consistency with pronounced honey-ish/caramel-y tastes and lightly toasted grains. Pairings? Maybe chicken breast or a hunk of grilled salmon with bourbon-BBQ basting?
    Compass Rose is a new brewery in Durham (?) that a couple started roughly a year ago. i do not know them, I do follow the young lady on social media and she has been struggling with cancer/chemo/recovery for about the same length of time.

There are some other connections to local breweries (Nickelpoint? Others?) I am less clear on.

Never had their beers, definitely curious to try.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Compass Rose is a new brewery in Durham (?) that a couple started roughly a year ago. i do not know them, I do follow the young lady on social media and she has been struggling with cancer/chemo/recovery for about the same length of time.

There are some other connections to local breweries (Nickelpoint? Others?) I am less clear on.

Never had their beers, definitely curious to try.
    Compass Rose is about 2 miles from our house. Embarrassingly, I've not visited them yet. You and your Love Ninja are cordially invited to join several members of the devildeac family on Saturday for a sampler and a beer exchange/pick-up. I've heard good things about them from a friend/former neighbor/patient.

Burial The Shroud Belgian style dubbel aged in malbec barrels with mejool dates

Ricks68 held onto a lot of (harvest moon?) burial beers for devildeac and me.
    One of the more memorable (all were excellent) was The Shroud.

Naturally I leapt at the chance to get another (thank you again kind sirs ricks68 and devildeac).

Rusty, muddy pour, no head.

The nose is very sweet- figgy, raisin, maybe a bit of rum and red wine.

Delightful- red wine on initial sip, sort of a fermented fruit mid palate with a burst of effervescence, and candied raisin and fig taste before a bit of oakiness melts into a dry finish.

A great beer to revisit. Cheers!
    The Shroud-Burial Brewing

Fuse does it again. Beats me to a re-visit and kills it on the review.

One of my favorite styles, a Belgian style dubbel, aged in Malbec barrels with dates. Slightly cloudy, ruby-brown pour with a thin head from a 750 ml capped bottle into a couple of goblets (shared with devildeac II) and sipped with an assortment of cake slices from Delicious Bakery in Greensboro. Dark fruity nose, and lots of dark, dried fruits soaked in red wine throughout our portions. I'll guess IBUs about 30 and the ABV is "only" 7%.

A tip of the tulip to ricks68 for including this in our February beer meeting.

From 9/21/14:

KBS-Founder's Brewing

Espresso cups (credit to TNTDevil) and KBS for our Brunchgate dessert/s. Heavenly. This was my next to last 12 ounce bottle of this imperial stout from about 5 years ago (no date on the bottle) and I'm not sure I've seen it since. Poured an inky black with a moderate mocha head and shared 4 ways. Gorgeous bouquet of dark chocolate, espresso and bourbon (barrel/cave-aged for a year) with identical tastes. Thick/viscous/oily on the palate so the flavors lingered tantalizingly. Rich, roasty and boozey with IBUs of 70 and ABV an amazing 11.2%. Fabulous combination with about an ounce of decadent, gooey dark chocolate and coffee-flavored fudge with a dark chocolate-covered coffee bean on top. I think this was about $20 for the 4 pack and that was a few years ago. Well worth the cost if you ever find this April release anywhere.

http://cdn.foundersbrewing.com/wp-co...le-256x790.png
    From last PM:

KBS (draft)-Founders Brewing Company

Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Decadent.

Eight ounce pour ($5.50!) at Bottle Revolution, about 1.5 blocks from my office. Freshly tapped.

Appearance: Darn near black
    Head: Moderate, foamy, mocha
    Aromas: Espresso, baker's chocolate
    Mouthfeel: Viscous, chewy, fudgy
    Tastes: Huge amounts of dark cacao, espresso, over-toasted pumpernickel bread, roasted figs/dates and a warm, mildly boozy finish
    IBU: 70
    ABV: 11.8%

Worth the hype? Yes, as I uncommonly search for rare beers and will splurge on a find like this a few times a year, especially as a beer club member at Bottle Revolution that's a 2 minute walk from my office. How did that help here? They sent an email out last week announcing their lottery: Pick up your ticket after 4 PM and that allowed you to buy 2 bottles (just under $6 each for 12 ounces) after 5 PM. So, after my draft and 2 bottle purchase, I chatted with the owner and saw several tickets were unused and almost 2 cases unsold (they received 3) and inquired if I could purchase 2 more. He said, "Sip your draft and come see me in about 10 minutes. Should be no problem." Fifteen minutes later, the 4 pack was discretely complete.

Angus Barn needs to up its beer game.

Frosted mugs, begone. Only four taps?

One tap said gose, and when I asked our bartender, he went through his list (all local NC taps which is cool) and finished with "...and we have a sour wheat."

Hmmm.

I guess Hiwire makes a gose (er, sour wheat).
    It was decent given the conditions.

Angus Barn needs to up its beer game.

Frosted mugs, begone. Only four taps?

One tap said gose, and when I asked our bartender, he went through his list (all local NC taps which is cool) and finished with "...and we have a sour wheat."

Hmmm.

I guess Hiwire makes a gose (er, sour wheat).
    It was decent given the conditions.
    We attended a wedding reception at The Pavilion there about a month ago. The beer selection was lame, understanding of course, that the parents of the bride had some input into the decision. However, budlite, coorslite, Lone Rider Shotgun Betty and Big Boss Bad Penny were not exactly appealing choices, so I had a glass of Rodney Strong chardonnay before dinner and a glass of an Oregon pinot noir with our delicious prime rib main course and the 6 starches the bride lovingly selected for the side dishes .

Founder's Lizard of Koz
    Bourbon barrel aged imperial stout with blueberries, chocolate and vanilla

Thick pour with a rich head
    Super bourbon nose

Really sweet blueberry pie initial sip that transitions to a rich vanilla finish.

This would have been an amazing dessert beer.

Thanks ricks68!!!!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/article...zero-ibu-ipas/

Fascinating. Would definitely try a beer like those in the article.

Oskar Blues Deflategate New England IPA

Seriously one of the best beer names I have seen in a while.

Very cloudy, golden appearance with a thick white head.

The nose was very juicy.

Hoppy, but not overly bitter.

Not bad at all, but not sure how I feel about this style of IPA that seems to be the new trend.

OB now has Cigar City beers on tap and available for purchase in their retail store. Looks like the buy out/merger has officially happened.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Oskar Blues Deflategate New England IPA

Seriously one of the best beer names I have seen in a while.

Very cloudy, golden appearance with a thick white head.

The nose was very juicy.

Hoppy, but not overly bitter.

Not bad at all, but not sure how I feel about this style of IPA that seems to be the new trend.

OB now has Cigar City beers on tap and available for purchase in their retail store. Looks like the buy out/merger has officially happened.

Was the above bolded brew lower in psi, err, ABV than a standard IPA?

Guessing it was likely a bit "softer' than a regular IPA...

II also bought a bottle of Damnation at a liquor store at Vail about 5-6 years ago, which is the only other place outside of CA that I saw on their website ~4 years ago that they distribute.

Doesn't look like any Sonoma/Napa/RR Valley trips coming up for us any time in the next 5-6 years so I'll have to depend on your reviews .
    Update on Damnation. Have tweaked the recipe and will have it back on tap at the mothership by the end of April.

Undecided yet if it will return as a year round beer, but unlikely it will be available in bottles again. A bummer since it's my favorite beer. Aud Blonde's pretty good, but a step down.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    Update on Damnation. Have tweaked the recipe and will have it back on tap at the mothership by the end of April.

Undecided yet if it will return as a year round beer, but unlikely it will be available in bottles again. A bummer since it's my favorite beer. Aud Blonde's pretty good, but a step down.
    Hmmm, I think United Airlines added a direct flight from RDU to SF about a year ago. Oh, wait, never mind. A seat might not be a seat on one of their flights after all.

I really, really like Russian River products.

Was the above bolded brew lower in psi, err, ABV than a standard IPA?

Guessing it was likely a bit "softer' than a regular IPA...

Lol! My guess would be it was super hazy/cloudy. Not sure which brewery in New England got the latest fad going. There was some debate in brewing circles as to whether or not this was a style or turning a blind eye to what previously would have been considered a majorly flawed beer.

Ginger Wheat-The Unknown Brewing Company

It's still NC beer month so Bottle Rev included this 12 ounce can in my April beer club 4 pack. Pour was a mildly cloudy, orange-amber color with a 2 finger, foamy head. Mild ginger aromas and some lemon, orange and more ginger in the tasting. Minimal bitterness, guessing IBUs of 20 with 5.1% as the stated ABV on the can. I'd still prefer a can of Fullsteam Cack-A-Lacky and I'm scared to try one of the Not Your Father's Ginger Ales or any other hard ginger ales so this would not be one I'd re-visit. Not bad but not worth another purchase.

Lol! My guess would be it was super hazy/cloudy. Not sure which brewery in New England got the latest fad going. There was some debate in brewing circles as to whether or not this was a style or turning a blind eye to what previously would have been considered a majorly flawed beer.
    I believe it was Tree House or Trillium.

I do not see whst the fuss is about with the style.

Founder's Lizard of Koz
    Bourbon barrel aged imperial stout with blueberries, chocolate and vanilla

Thick pour with a rich head
    Super bourbon nose

Really sweet blueberry pie initial sip that transitions to a rich vanilla finish.

This would have been an amazing dessert beer.

Thanks ricks68!!!!
    I have a bottle of this in the fridge that I haven't gotten around to yet. Any particular dessert recommendations that would go well with this beer? Or is it just a dessert all by itself?

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    I have a bottle of this in the fridge that I haven't gotten around to yet. Any particular dessert recommendations that would go well with this beer? Or is it just a dessert all by itself?
    Yes, Lizard of Koz is an amazing dessert by itself.

You could add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it would make an excellent beer float.

Blueberry pie, blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream (or whip cream), vanilla ice cream, a good bar of dark chocolate, maybe a chocolate chess pie or some sort of bourbon flavoured dessert would all go well.

It is a really rich, sweet beer worth savoring.

Birdsong Lazy Bird Brown Ale

Opened a 16-ounce can to consume while watching Part III of The Golf Channel's tribute to Jack Nicklaus (appropriately, if not creatively, named "Jack"). Poured a nice dark brown color, with a generous off-white head. Nice and malty, with a little bit of sweetness actually. I was surprised the IBU count was as high as 55, but that's what the brewer's website tells me. 5.5% ABV, so pretty sessionable as well. Another tasty offering from Birdsong.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Yes, Lizard of Koz is an amazing dessert by itself.

You could add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it would make an excellent beer float.

Blueberry pie, blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream (or whip cream), vanilla ice cream, a good bar of dark chocolate, maybe a chocolate chess pie or some sort of bourbon flavoured dessert would all go well.

It is a really rich, sweet beer worth savoring.
    Thanks! I will have to crack it open soon.