Page 5 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 3456715551055051005 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Sounds like a tasty assortment. I will look forward to making arrangements for pick-up/delivery service sometime in the near future. Coming up to be a good luck charm for a game at WW any time soon?
    I must admit ... I wasn't able to pay attention to the football game due to an academic conference, nor was I able to get onto Snrubchat.

Hmm... maybe that led to the blow out?

On the other hand, maybe the assortment of brews will lead to a Saturday football game meet-up w/Wilson, EarlJam, or Shammrog?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

I am not much of a beer connoisseur by any stretch, but recently I tried a German (dark) beer and it was very smooth. Surprisingly so.
    I couldn't tell you the name of it however, but it was great despite or in favor of the 5% alcohol content (foreign beers usually have twice as much as domestics).

I have recently decided to dabble more into the foreign dark drafts, anyone have any further recoomendations?

Go back and read throaty's list.

And add Kostrizer Schwarzbeer if you want a Dunkel that isn't high gravity.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

beer

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    I am not much of a beer connoisseur by any stretch, but recently I tried a German (dark) beer and it was very smooth. Surprisingly so.
    I couldn't tell you the name of it however, but it was great despite or in favor of the 5% alcohol content (foreign beers usually have twice as much as domestics).

I have recently decided to dabble more into the foreign dark drafts, anyone have any further recoomendations?
    May be a bit difficult to find many foreign draughts here in the US. A couple(or more) German bottled brews that are quite smooth:
    1. Aventinus wheat double bock(doppelbock)-very malty/caramel-like and quite smooth
    2. Salvator double bock-a classic
    3. Celebrator double bock-ditto but a bit more pricey than Salvator.

All are about 8% alcohol so not your lawn-mowing thirst quenchers. Enjoy

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Have been meaning to add my 2 cents, as this is a very enjoyable thread, plus it doesn't have a hangover attached!

I'll echo Mapei mostly, and add these:
    Victory Hop Devil
    Two-Hearted Ale (Michigan; titled after Hemingway's short story)
    those are available on draught at Tyler's Tap Room in Carrboro and Durham, and in bottles at Sam's Quick Stop, under th bridge on Ninth street.

Carolina Brewery's India Pale Ale, now called 'Flagship Pale Ale', available in Chapel Hill at their Brewpub, and often in other area locales: go upstairs at the Armadillo Grill in Carrboro while waiting your order. Also, they'll sell you a 1/2 gallon jug to take out: great for the first night at the beach...)

Czechvar (I last got it at Total Wine on the 15-501 boulevard), which is THE original Budweiser brewed in the Czech Republic. Google the name if you don't believe me. This name is used to get past the Anheuser-Busch lawyers.

Used to be able to get Staropramen (Prague) at Fowler's in Downtown Durham, but since they closed, I've not seen it around.

Samuel Smith's IPA, and any others

Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale (Virginia)

Mendocino Brewery's IPA and Pale ale's; White Heron, and Red Hawk, I think, are their labels.
    Dang, this is making me thirsty!
    JStuart

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Wow, this thread is very idiosyncratic. At the risk of seeming pedestrian, I'll vote for

Fuller's ESB
    Sam Smith's Nut Brown
    Guinness
    Smithwick's
    most anything Trappist, maybe Chimay
    Bass
    Newcastle Brown
    most anything Sam Adams
    local amber ales, whatever they be

And I much prefer draught to bottles.

DECATUR BEER FESTIVAL TODAY!!! I'm doing my stretches right now...don't wanna pull an epiglottis or anything.
    Anybody else out there going?

Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    Czechvar (I last got it at Total Wine on the 15-501 boulevard), which is THE original Budweiser brewed in the Czech Republic. Google the name if you don't believe me. This name is used to get past the Anheuser-Busch lawyers.
    This is Budweiser
    This is Budweiser
    This is Budweiser
    This is beer

That's some catchy **** right there, isn't it? I often find myself singing it in the shower.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    This is Budweiser
    This is Budweiser
    This is Budweiser
    This is beer

That's some catchy **** right there, isn't it? I often find myself singing it in the shower.
    You might want to consider getting out more often...

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    This is Budweiser
    This is Budweiser
    This is Budweiser
    This is beer

I always seem to find my self singing the chorus to G.Love & Special Sauce's "Cold Beverage." If I remember correctly, it was also used in some beer commercial awhile back.

beer festival

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    DECATUR BEER FESTIVAL TODAY!!! I'm doing my stretches right now...don't wanna pull an epiglottis or anything.
    Anybody else out there going?
    Hope you contacted Lavabe-he would be very upset if you did not invite him

beers

Have been meaning to add my 2 cents, as this is a very enjoyable thread, plus it doesn't have a hangover attached!

I'll echo Mapei mostly, and add these:
    Victory Hop Devil
    Two-Hearted Ale (Michigan; titled after Hemingway's short story)
    those are available on draught at Tyler's Tap Room in Carrboro and Durham, and in bottles at Sam's Quick Stop, under th bridge on Ninth street.

Carolina Brewery's India Pale Ale, now called 'Flagship Pale Ale', available in Chapel Hill at their Brewpub, and often in other area locales: go upstairs at the Armadillo Grill in Carrboro while waiting your order. Also, they'll sell you a 1/2 gallon jug to take out: great for the first night at the beach...)

Used to be able to get Staropramen (Prague) at Fowler's in Downtown Durham, but since they closed, I've not seen it around.

Samuel Smith's IPA, and any others

Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale (Virginia)

Mendocino Brewery's IPA and Pale ale's; White Heron, and Red Hawk, I think, are their labels.
    Dang, this is making me thirsty!
    JStuart

All good suggestionsl The Czech pilsners on draught are all siginificantly better than their bottled brethren. Why? Because most are in green bottles which do a lousy job of protecting the beer from light. Tasted a Heineken lately? SKUNKY! That is not good beer folks, it is 'spoiled'. Try a Prima Pils from the Victory Brewing Company versus a Pilsner Urquell, one of the classic Czech pilsners-no contest. Now, go and have a Pilsner Urquell on draught-remarkable beer.

I believe Czechvar used to be called Budvar and the brewers advertised it as the 'king of beers' until the Busch lawyers caught on, so they changed their name.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    All good suggestionsl The Czech pilsners on draught are all siginificantly better than their bottled brethren. Why? Because most are in green bottles which do a lousy job of protecting the beer from light. Tasted a Heineken lately? SKUNKY! That is not good beer folks, it is 'spoiled'. Try a Prima Pils from the Victory Brewing Company versus a Pilsner Urquell, one of the classic Czech pilsners-no contest. Now, go and have a Pilsner Urquell on draught-remarkable beer.

I believe Czechvar used to be called Budvar and the brewers advertised it as the 'king of beers' until the Busch lawyers caught on, so they changed their name.
    Here are some definitive references:
    www.tobp.com/review/beer.asp?t=421
    www.beersince1933.com/czechvar.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_Budvar

and Throaty, I thought you only sang Das Lied von der Erde in the shower?

beer

Here are some definitive references:
    www.tobp.com/review/beer.asp?t=421
    www.beersince1933.com/czechvar.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_Budvar

and Throaty, I thought you only sang Das Lied von der Erde in the shower?
    Thanks for the linkies. I had read most of that info several years ago in various beer books but it was nice to refresh my memory on the topic. Did you try any of the doppel bocks yet?

Hope you contacted Lavabe-he would be very upset if you did not invite him
    I couldn't make it over there. What with Parent's Weekend AND His Holiness the Dalai Lama, the parking at Emory was going to be dreadful today, so I decided to head there tomorrow instead. I was actually interested in sampling some of Wilson's chili, but I forgot about the beer fest.

HOWEVER...

I can now say that I DO like Fat Tire.

Tomorrow, I take on Tony Packo's... or maybe the dreaded Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I couldn't make it over there. What with Parent's Weekend AND His Holiness the Dalai Lama, the parking at Emory was going to be dreadful today, so I decided to head there tomorrow instead. I was actually interested in sampling some of Wilson's chili, but I forgot about the beer fest.

HOWEVER...

Tomorrow, I take on Tony Packo's... or maybe the dreaded Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Thought you would like Fat Tire. Just don't drink any of my supply
    What is wrong with Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale? I have had several variations(Blue Moon, Post Road, Buffalo Bill's and Punkin' Ale). The last is probably my favorite, but there are not many Dogfishead offerings that are not distinctive and delicious.

HOWEVER...

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I hope you enjoy the Packo's dogs--had a couple today-grilled and with onions and Cleveland's Stadium Mustard--the drink for the day was New Belgium's Blue Paddle. Good meal.

Thought you would like Fat Tire. Just don't drink any of my supply
    What is wrong with Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale? I have had several variations(Blue Moon, Post Road, Buffalo Bill's and Punkin' Ale). The last is probably my favorite, but there are not many Dogfishead offerings that are not distinctive and delicious.
    Nothing is wrong with Schlafly Pumpkin Ale. It's genuinely a nice special release.

As it turns out, the Schlafly pumpkin ale is smoother and maltier than the rest. It's also not overwhelmingly spiced up with nutmeg, cloves, and cinammon ... frankly, the butternut squash and pumpkin flavors come through with the malt, and make this ale a pleasant surprise. It's a nice change from the usual bitters that I love (Schlafly Pumpkin Ale has a paultry IBU=16), with a good ABV (8%). That makes it the least bitter of the group you mentioned ... and also the highest ABV! Truly radical compared with that group. I'm glad I tried it, even though I don't generally go for the fruit specialties (Sweetwater Blue is an exception).

Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymmm,beer

Nothing is wrong with Schlafly Pumpkin Ale. It's genuinely a nice special release.

As it turns out, the Schlafly pumpkin ale is smoother and maltier than the rest. It's also not overwhelmingly spiced up with nutmeg, cloves, and cinammon ... frankly, the butternut squash and pumpkin flavors come through with the malt, and make this ale a pleasant surprise. It's a nice change from the usual bitters that I love (Schlafly Pumpkin Ale has a paultry IBU=16), with a good ABV (8%). That makes it the least bitter of the group you mentioned ... and also the highest ABV! Truly radical compared with that group. I'm glad I tried it, even though I don't generally go for the fruit specialties (Sweetwater Blue is an exception).

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I thought at some point you had referred to the Schlafly's pumpkin ale as 'dreaded', therefore my quizzical reply. I would not think this brew would be high on the IBU, probably being an amber or brown ale based concoction. Look up Old Crustacean by the Rogue folks, probably about 110-120 IBU-that will make you pucker. I have never been able to find the IBU on Hop Devil or Bigfoot. I would guess-timate in the same range as these are two of the most bitter, hoppy brews I have ever tasted. Alimony Ale(probably not brewed any more) was advertised as 'the bitterest brew in America", as it was dedicated to the brewer's ex-wife. I think Arrogant Bastard is also brewed by that brewery(Stone?).

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I know we've got some beer-o-philes on the board, and we're now deep into the drink-beer, watch-sports fall season. So, question to the group --

What's your favorite beer, for what event/food/occasion?

I tried out Moose Drool's brown ale yesterday, at a barbeque where the MLB playoffs were on in the background. It was a nice beer, a bit heavy for the ribs, though. The Black Butte porter went well with the brownies later on.

Fat Tire is our 'household' standard, and tastes great after a day on the slopes while recovering in the hottub.

Busch Light will always hold a special place in my heart (if not my palate) and I usually trend towards the light stuff during Duke bball games.
    I'm a huge Fat Tire fan. That is the one thing I miss after moving back from Phoenix to Cincinnati is you can't get it here.

I'm always willing to try a good microbrew along the same vane as a Fat Tire.
    I also like the Hefeweizen style beers.

Old College Beer-Milwaukees Best Light

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    -Anchor Porter (Sweetwater had a great one too, probably even better than Anchor's, but for some reason they quit making it a couple of years ago)
    -Old Speckled Hen
    -Sweetwater IPA
    -the Highland beers from Asheville, NC
    -any of the Chimays
    -just about any of the Flying Dogs
    -(close your eyes and point) on the list at the Brick Store Pub in Decatur, GA
    -cheap stuff: Pabst Blue Ribbon. Any day, any time.

This is also a good time to announce that the Decatur Beer Festival is on Saturday, Oct. 20. It's $30 to drink as much as you can of all the brews from dozens of different breweries right on the Decatur Square, and the admission supports some good local causes. Being in Decatur, it also makes for excellent people-watching. I already have my ticket, and will be there all afternoon. I would love to see some other Atlanta-area DBRers there (EarlJam, this means you). You have to order your tickets ahead of time, as they sell only 5000 and none on the day of the festival. You can get them here:

http://decaturbeerfestival.com/

Anyone who decides to go, let me know; I'd love to meet up.

My old roommate was back this week from Portland for a visit and he said Pabst Blue Ribbon is huge out there among the "Hipster" set. Apparenlty they sell more PBR in Portland then the rest of the US. Not sure how accurate that is.