Page 18 of 83 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Dickinson may be looking at going in an entirely different direction than Duke.
    Bryant is a small stage compared to Michigan or Duke. This doesn't compute.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Did Dickinson break up with his girlfriend or did she transfer?
    This is a very key question: when Michigan gave Hunter's high school girlfriend an athletic scholarship, they then won his services on the basketball court, or so it seemed at the time.

The answer to this question will tell us a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Bryant is a small stage compared to Michigan or Duke. This doesn't compute.
    Bryant was in the tournament last year led by the ncaa leader in points per game, Peter Kiss.

Still agree with you but just noting that.

Bryant could have offered him. Doesn’t mean he reciprocated interest.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Not perhaps… Michigan IS behind on NIL. Been an open secret for the last couple years. Dickinson flat out said so when he returned last year in an attempt to put some pressure on the athletic department to facilitate things. And by all accounts there were some improvements, but arguably not enough.

Who knows how much of a factor it was, but it has to have been A factor. Michigan’s entire potential likely being dependent on him next year also had to have been a factor.

The weirdest thing is that, for someone who by all accounts loved Michigan, he didn’t make any sort of announcement… not even a token Caleb Love style thing. It just leaked. That could be evidence for some behind the scenes friction, but again by all accounts Juwan and him loved each other.
    I appreciate your perspective on this and can't give you sporks anymore.

Perhaps this is similar to Isaiah Wong going to the portal last summer, a power move.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I appreciate your perspective on this and can't give you sporks anymore.

Perhaps this is similar to Isaiah Wong going to the portal last summer, a power move.
    Appreciated.

For what it’s worth, Juwan Howard has made a statement wishing Hunter the best and thanking him for his contributions to the program, etc. etc. At this point the weirdest thing about this is that Hunter, a guy who has NEVER been quiet (for better or worse) has said zero. Heck, Caleb Love got run out of Chapel Hill and still put out his “I loved my time as a Tar Heel” cut and paste statement.

The longer Hunter is silent and his reasons for leaving mysterious, the worse this looks. Juwan’s seat just went from lukewarm after his first missed tournament to blazing hot with this bad look and a roster that is full of holes next year.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Appreciated.

For what it’s worth, Juwan Howard has made a statement wishing Hunter the best and thanking him for his contributions to the program, etc. etc. At this point the weirdest thing about this is that Hunter, a guy who has NEVER been quiet (for better or worse) has said zero. Heck, Caleb Love got run out of Chapel Hill and still put out his “I loved my time as a Tar Heel” cut and paste statement.

The longer Hunter is silent and his reasons for leaving mysterious, the worse this looks. Juwan’s seat just went from lukewarm after his first missed tournament to blazing hot with this bad look and a roster that is full of holes next year.
    I know they have a lot of roster spots open, but I hope for your sake that U of M doesn't fill them with (tar) holes.

Dickinson may not fit Scheyer’s defense perfectly, but if he were interested in Duke, he’s the best player in the portal and Duke is not set at the 5. The academic fit is great, as HD was intending to eventually get an MBA at Michigan. 3 + 2 is essentially what Ryan Young is doing now. And Scheyer certainly remembers winning a NC with big Brian Zoubek at center. Before someone tells me how times have changed, 18/9 with 3 point range plays anywhere.

Wow… this is a bummer for me, and for the Michigan program, which now could be in for a very rough patch.

Given that Hunter seemed to be a “Michigan guy” by all accounts, the driving force here has to be NIL. Hunter had been critical of Michigan’s somewhat lethargic uptake of NIL, and while by all accounts it has improved it apparently hasn’t improved enough. Given that his NBA potential is capped by his game as a traditional big, he must want to maximize his earnings during his final year(s) of eligibility.

It’s a weird world where you can be the star player for one of the biggest names in college sports (yes, Michigan is a national name even in basketball, I don’t think that’s a homer take) and still look to transfer, but we’ve seen that multiple times now. I’ll always be a fan of his given how exciting his freshman year was for me personally given the combo of COVID and Duke’s down season.

The Wild West keeps getting wilder.
    Scott and others who care about Michigan basketball: I’m going to suggest a different perspective on Dickinson transferring that will not look at this as a huge bummer. It’s this :

We saw what the ceiling was with him and it doesn’t look like the supporting players next year will be much better. Getting a fresh start and having young guys develop as the focal points of the offense is better than feeding Dickinson all game long and going .500 in the league, at best, again. Dickinson is a really good low post scorer and the team was really successful when he had two pros on it with him. Without them the team has gotten worse each of the last two years. Let’s wipe the slate clean, and give the young guys a chance to play a lot and move to the next phase of Michigan basketball. We’ve gone as far as we can go with Dickinson.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    It's a fake twitter account.

-jk
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It's a fake Twitter account. That was the entire point of the discussion: you have to look VERY closely at Twitter handles this time of year.

What I was saying was weird was why anyone would go to the effort to do THAT fake account given how low-profile he is. It's just a really weird that someone decided to make that fake account and tweet. But there was never a question that it was in fact a fake account.
    Thanks--I am not technologically sophisticated enough to figure out whether an account is fake, though there was obviously nothing to demonstrate it was real. Though I missed the point of your post, I still like my practical joke idea--the one reason I can think of that someone might have gone to all that trouble would be to play an elaborate practical joke on Brandon Liebe.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Thanks--I am not technologically sophisticated enough to figure out whether an account is fake, though there was obviously nothing to demonstrate it was real. Though I missed the point of your post, I still like my practical joke idea--the one reason I can think of that someone might have gone to all that trouble would be to play an elaborate practical joke on Brandon Liebe.
    The account isn't fake. It just represents a non-existent person. It's a real account.

Huge news. Apparently the young woman from Iowa has put her name in the portal. And Duke, Kentucky, and Carolina are all very interested.

Coach Dawn Staley is encouraging her to move to the male game, crying and screaming that it was not fair that the Gamecocks (is that the name used for the women’s team?) lost.

Coach Scheyer should give her a call. She can ball.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    Huge news. Apparently the young woman from Iowa has put her name in the portal. And Duke, Kentucky, and Carolina are all very interested.

Coach Dawn Staley is encouraging her to move to the male game, crying and screaming that it was not fair that the Gamecocks (is that the name used for the women’s team?) lost.

Coach Scheyer should give her a call. She can ball.
    Today IS April 1, right?

But I do think Caitlin Clark could play on some men’s D-1 teams and score double digit points, if they could get her enough open shots.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    The account isn't fake. It just represents a non-existent person. It's a real account.
    Well, it is intended to represent a real person (Brandon Lieb, a bench player for Illinois). But it isn’t actually his account, which is the fake part.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Not sure if we'd be interested in adding a center via the portal this year, or if he'd be the kind of guy we'd be interested in, but you never know. TCU wide body Eddie Lampkin is entering the portal. Claimed Coach Dixon used racial language and that's why he left the team.
    Jon Rothstein (the real one) tweeted that TCU's Eddie Lampkin will decide upon a destination Sunday, and it will be one of the following: Arkansas, Cincinnati, Colorado, Florida, Georgetown, Memphis, Xavier.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Today IS April 1, right?

But I do think Caitlin Clark could play on some men’s D-1 teams and score double digit points, if they could get her enough open shots.
    Hard to argue with you - she looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Today IS April 1, right?

I mean, if all they did was set screens and double screens in order to get her free for shots, then maybe. But within the normal flow of a men’s D-1 game, no. The defenders are waaaay bigger, quicker, and stronger in the men’s game. She’d have a very hard time getting the space needed to get her shot off

I know I'm ruining it by NOT making an April Fools joke, but we all have to troll in our own way.

So, looking at potential centers, which of these two would you prefer? Assume they both suck at defending on the perimeter. Yes, I realize that will lead many of you to say "None of these below". But there often just isn't a Lively available as one of the options.

Offensive Rating Effective Field Goal % True Shooting % Offensive Rebound % Defensive Rebound % Assist Rate Block % Free Throw Rate FT Pct 2Pt Pct 3Pt Pct
    128.7 68.5 71.7 15.6 20.2 14.7 2.9 49.2 81% 69% 0%
    116.3 58.7 61.4 8.4 22.5 10.6 5.5 36.9 73% 58% 42%

p.s. Of course I cherry picked these stats. This is the internet.

So you’re saying it was an . . . unexpected blow?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    New best player in the portal... Jameer Nelson Jr is going to look for a new place to play his 5th season (thanks, Covid!) after averaging better than 20ppg at Delaware.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ransfer-portal

No idea what schools he might look at, but he's a significant talent.
    Jeff Borzello @jeffborzello

Delaware transfer Jameer Nelson Jr., one of the best guards in the portal, tells ESPN he's committed to TCU. First-team All-CAA selection averaged 20.6 points this season.

6:06 PM · Apr 1, 2023

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Jeff Borzello @jeffborzello

Delaware transfer Jameer Nelson Jr., one of the best guards in the portal, tells ESPN he's committed to TCU. First-team All-CAA selection averaged 20.6 points this season.

6:06 PM · Apr 1, 2023
    Yep- likely somewhere high profile.