Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Succession: Season 4 discussion

I couldn't find the more recent Succession discussion, but it's worth mentioning that for those with access, the Washington Post today has a magnus opus on Succession and the new reason which looms.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I couldn't find the more recent Succession discussion, but it's worth mentioning that for those with access, the Washington Post today has a magnus opus on Succession and the new reason which looms.
    The reason for the season?

I'm stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The reason for the season?

I'm stoked.
    I very much need to know Cousin Greg's position "at the bottom of the top." Evidently per the limited on screen guide info, we do get some Cousin Greg tonight.

The scene where Logan demanded the sycophants around him tell jokes and roast him was amazing... Greg spoke truth to power. I thought Logan should have given him a raise in that moment. Greg showed he has more guts than anyone else in that room combined.

"Anyone want to smell Greg's fingers and guess where they have been?" was truly hysterical.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The scene where Logan demanded the sycophants around him tell jokes and roast him was amazing... Greg spoke truth to power. I thought Logan should have given him a raise in that moment. Greg showed he has more guts than anyone else in that room combined.

"Anyone want to smell Greg's fingers and guess where they have been?" was truly hysterical.
    I forgot how incredibly tense this show makes me. I was fairly certain one of Tom or Shiv might kill the other.

Courage or misreading the room? I think more the latter. Logan had no real interest in hearing what a failure he had been with his kids. Just like he didn't want to hear about Greg’s sexcapades during his tense and depressing birthday party.

I'm with you though on the whole scene being great. Logan is winning big in business but falling apart emotionally.

And the way the other old hands backed way off in that scene was entertaining, too. Shiv and Tom are well into their tiresome secret stuttering language mode.

Greg and Tom are outstanding, "So gallant." Roman going after Kerry was pretty hilarious.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Marvelously cringeworthy watching the three idiot kids (more on the fourth in a moment) pretend they are titans of business as they try to buy Cherry Jones's company...meanwhile the fourth kid trying to protect his 1% poll ratings is even alarming his fiancee...

Marvelously cringeworthy watching the three idiot kids (more on the fourth in a moment) pretend they are titans of business as they try to buy Cherry Jones's company...meanwhile the fourth kid trying to protect his 1% poll ratings is even alarming his fiancee...
    I feel like Kendall has gotten dumber season by season. He seemed halfway competent in Season 1.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I feel like Kendall has gotten dumber season by season. He seemed halfway competent in Season 1.
    they should just take their what, 5% stake in the company, and go find a nice place to live and not worry about destroying any other companies.

they should just take their what, 5% stake in the company, and go find a nice place to live and not worry about destroying any other companies.
    Yeah, I guess I'm not an 'empire builder'. I'd probably be more of a Connor but like, Season 1 Connor, before he started to want politics, which I would hate with a passion.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I know!

Actually, they could probably give it to a few theater companies without destroying them. Every theater company I've ever been involved with could make that kind of money last for decades. I'm imagining a theater company with a $5 million endowment, OMG, the kind of work that could be produced!! One would have to hire someone with at least one foot in the world of financial reality as the artistic director, but wow. If only.

Back to the show - I love seeing Cherry Jones be the big winner. She was a company member of the ART back in the late '80s/early '90s when I was a subscriber to the ART. I saw her as Viola in a spectacular production of 12th Night with Diane Lane as Olivia. J. Smith-Cameron was with the ART at that time too. She has some serious comic chops.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yeah, I guess I'm not an 'empire builder'. I'd probably be more of a Connor but like, Season 1 Connor, before he started to want politics, which I would hate with a passion.
    Hey now.

Connor Roy was interested in politics from a very young age.

It is canon.

I'm really confused by the business math on display.

Waystar Royco is supposed to be worth something like $45 billion. It is being taken over (friendly merger) by GoJo, so one would assume there is some premium being paid that likely values the company over $50 billion. Logan owns 36% of the company, right?

So, how is Pierce a rival or even a comparable media company if the bidding starts at $6 bil and Logan drops out because it gets too rich at $10 bil?

Also, like Logan said, "congrats on saying the highest number." It sure feels like his kids just waaaay overpaid for Pierce. It may seem like 6 and 10 are close, but they just paid a 166% more than Logan's initial offer. Of course Cherry Jones was happy to sell at that price. It is probably at least $2 bil more than what the company is actually worth.

I feel like we are supposed to think of these people as titans of industry who are at least a little bit smart... but that felt like a lot of stupid money in the first episode.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Waystar Royco is supposed to be worth something like $45 billion. It is being taken over (friendly merger) by GoJo, so one would assume there is some premium being paid that likely values the company over $50 billion. Logan owns 36% of the company, right?

So, how is Pierce a rival or even a comparable media company if the bidding starts at $6 bil and Logan drops out because it gets too rich at $10 bil?

Also, like Logan said, "congrats on saying the highest number." It sure feels like his kids just waaaay overpaid for Pierce. It may seem like 6 and 10 are close, but they just paid a 166% more than Logan's initial offer. Of course Cherry Jones was happy to sell at that price. It is probably at least $2 bil more than what the company is actually worth.

I feel like we are supposed to think of these people as titans of industry who are at least a little bit smart... but that felt like a lot of stupid money in the first episode.
    I mean, the kids assumed that's what it would take to outbid Logan. They know it's been his goal for a long time. They forgot that he didn't build his empire by being stupid.

They got emotional and he didn't.

I don't see it that way exactly. Yes, the kids in all likelihood overpaid by a huge amount, and this makes sense because they are idiots. That should be apparent.
    Logan wanted the deal, but not at a stupid price, so he had the sense to walk away...
    Not sure why you think Pierce needs to be comparable in value...it's just that Logan wanted it, for a reasonable price, analogous to Rupert Murdoch buying the Wall St. Journal.

I don't see it that way exactly. Yes, the kids in all likelihood overpaid by a huge amount, and this makes sense because they are idiots. That should be apparent.
    I had not really thought about it when I was lamenting the foolish overpay by the offspring, but I guess we are supposed to think of the kids as incompetent fools.

Kendall has been beleaguered by addiction and depression throughout the show. Ken has seemed competent and smart a few times, but mostly flounders around trying look cooler than he actually is. Even going back to episode 1, when he was supposed to be buying that website or content creator or whatever that was, he seemed in over his head.

Roman appears too largely be comic relief. After the fiasco with the failed missile launch and him texting his junk to Gerri, only to accidentally send it to his dad instead, Roman cannot be taken seriously. Frankly, I can't believe his siblings were treating him like an equal in forming The 100 and then buying Pierce.

Shiv seemed like the most adept and smartest member of the family in season one, but has steadily gone downhill since then. I've seen little from her lately to indicate she has real business smarts. She should probably go back to Democratic politics. Her treatment of Tom last season only added to the audience resentment of her.

So, if the kids are all idiots, who are we rooting for in all this (cause we sure as heck ain't supposed to be rooting for Logan)?

I feel like this is gonna end like Game of Thrones, with Bran (Greg) being handed control of the empire.

I had not really thought about it when I was lamenting the foolish overpay by the offspring, but I guess we are supposed to think of the kids as incompetent fools.

Kendall has been beleaguered by addiction and depression throughout the show. Ken has seemed competent and smart a few times, but mostly flounders around trying look cooler than he actually is. Even going back to episode 1, when he was supposed to be buying that website or content creator or whatever that was, he seemed in over his head.

Roman appears too largely be comic relief. After the fiasco with the failed missile launch and him texting his junk to Gerri, only to accidentally send it to his dad instead, Roman cannot be taken seriously. Frankly, I can't believe his siblings were treating him like an equal in forming The 100 and then buying Pierce.

Shiv seemed like the most adept and smartest member of the family in season one, but has steadily gone downhill since then. I've seen little from her lately to indicate she has real business smarts. She should probably go back to Democratic politics. Her treatment of Tom last season only added to the audience resentment of her.

So, if the kids are all idiots, who are we rooting for in all this (cause we sure as heck ain't supposed to be rooting for Logan)?

I feel like this is gonna end like Game of Thrones, with Bran (Greg) being handed control of the empire.

Logan has grown on me. At least with respect to his children, I have come around on his POV!

No mandatory heroes in this one! To me, it's kind of like watching the metaphorical train wreck over at unc, there need not be any good guys, just good entertainment. It's just something of a running joke that the kids, who have never accomplished anything on their own, see themselves as savvy financiers in the mode of their papa, who accordingly has zero respect for all of them.

Yes, I'm been wanting to see how Greg fares given Tom's promise of him getting in at "the bottom of the top," but now Tom has his own insecurities given the split with Shiv. Greg's performance in the first episode clearly indicates he's off to a very rough start with Logan (and I'm kind of assuming that Tom was screwing with him when he said he watches videos of all the bedrooms)...

Those three numbskull Roy children are absolutely horrible negotiators. These idiots appear to have thrown away 3-4 billion dollars that they likely could have kept had they not been so stupid.

Watching their pathetic attempts at “negotiation“ made me really agitated.