Page 48 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Is DaRon Holmes even in the transfer portal?
    He is not... yet.

He is on draft boards. The Athletic has him going in the back half of the second round.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Flip just retweeted Proctor's announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    A lot of players say that Duke has reached out to them or that they have been in contact with Duke. I wouldn't believe it until we hear about a visit or something.
    As usual, good advice from DBA.

It would appear the Kal'el Ware news was a case of a recruit mentioning Duke before Duke actually reaches out. All indications are that Duke is not speaking to Ware at this time.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Is DaRon Holmes even in the transfer portal?
    I've heard some of the rumblings about this particular name as well but am confused because I haven't seen any reports of him officially being in the portal. Feels like there's a crucial detail in the story that's being missed in these "leaks" and "rumors", haha.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I've heard some of the rumblings about this particular name as well but am confused because I haven't seen any reports of him officially being in the portal. Feels like there's a crucial detail in the story that's being missed in these "leaks" and "rumors", haha.
    Well, if these "leaks" are true, that we've shown interest in both Holmes and Ware, if you're a tea leaf expert, what is this telling us? That maybe Flip is leaning more toward leaving? That the staff doesnt feel Reeves will be quite ready to make major contributions next season?

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Well, if these "leaks" are true, that we've shown interest in both Holmes and Ware, if you're a tea leaf expert, what is this telling us? That maybe Flip is leaning more toward leaving? That the staff doesnt feel Reeves will be quite ready to make major contributions next season?
    I'm not sure if you're calling me a tea leaf expert or not, and if you're doing so sarcastically or not

That said, as I said in another thread I think this actually says more about the instant impact of our incoming class than it does Flip, since the signs from all sources continue to be positive there. A year ago, I would've seen no way that Mgbako wouldn't be a starter for the 2023-24 squad... even earlier this week I would've projected a best case scenario starting lineup at Proctor, Foster/McCain, Mitchell, Mgbako, and Filipowski. Now, with the rumblings of us going after a 5 man in the portal in some capacity, that indicates either that the staff thinks Filipowski needs to play the 4, or that Mgbako won't be ready to start on Day 1. Given all the talk about how relatively weak this recruiting/draft class is, it's very possible that Mgbako just isn't a OAD guy given how COVID has impacted both the development and evaluation of this class.

I do think you're right about Reeves, though, which is a touch disappointing, and I hope doesn't cost us him in the long term (I highly doubt he leaves this offseason given that he's such close friends with Foster). I was one of those ready to roll with a Young/Reeves platoon at C this year, but I may have been overly optimistic in that projection.

I'm not sure if you're calling me a tea leaf expert or not, and if you're doing so sarcastically or not

That said, as I said in another thread I think this actually says more about the instant impact of our incoming class than it does Flip, since the signs from all sources continue to be positive there. A year ago, I would've seen no way that Mgbako wouldn't be a starter for the 2023-24 squad... even earlier this week I would've projected a best case scenario starting lineup at Proctor, Foster/McCain, Mitchell, Mgbako, and Filipowski. Now, with the rumblings of us going after a 5 man in the portal in some capacity, that indicates either that the staff thinks Filipowski needs to play the 4, or that Mgbako won't be ready to start on Day 1. Given all the talk about how relatively weak this recruiting/draft class is, it's very possible that Mgbako just isn't a OAD guy given how COVID has impacted both the development and evaluation of this class.

I do think you're right about Reeves, though, which is a touch disappointing, and I hope doesn't cost us him in the long term (I highly doubt he leaves this offseason given that he's such close friends with Foster). I was one of those ready to roll with a Young/Reeves platoon at C this year, but I may have been overly optimistic in that projection.
    Ha! I think you're giving me far too much credit there, as I tend not to be so sly and sneaky in my words. I simply dont possess the intellect lol.

I think if we are, indeed, pursuing a 5 in the portal, it will be telling exactly who we pursue, as it related to Reeves' ability to contribute and the incoming freshmen such as MM and Stewart. If we seem to be targeting a grad transfer with 1 year of eligibility, then maybe the staff have hopes that Reeves will pan out as a prospect in 2 years. But if we're pursuing someone like Ware (who I believe will have at least 3 years of eligibility remaining), then maybe they view Reeves more in a reserve role for the future and that the incoming freshmen may all be multi-year guys.

A lot of players say that Duke has reached out to them or that they have been in contact with Duke. I wouldn't believe it until we hear about a visit or something.
    This takes on new significance in the wild world of NIL. Saying Duke reached out to you likely now gives additional leverage for NIL deals with other schools.

Just my honest opinion, but I do not think we will hear a lot of legit info on portal players (especially at 5) until after Lively and Flip announce and to a lesser degree is Reeves enters the portal.

I am sure there is some communication going on and the staff is doing its due diligence to add to the roster.

It would make a lot of sense for Holmes to enter the portal. I think he's a future pro. He's a slightly undersized big with a game that reminds me of Kerry Blackshear of VT or a bit like Wendell Carter, Jr. He's a big dude with long arms and has a nice touch on his jumper out to 15 feet or so with the occasional 3. He's really tough on opponents around the rim. He is a 2-time A-10 Defensive Team rep and was the A-10 Tournament MVP this season even though Dayton lost to VCU in the title game. Dayton had one of the more disappointing seasons. Holmes had a great year, but the Flyers were ranked in the preseason top 25 but failed to make it to the NCAA Tournament. There are 5 players from the Flyers in the transfer portal right now, including former starters Mustapha Amzil and RJ Blakney. The team is kind of blowing up.

Holmes could go a couple ways. He could and probably should test the NBA Draft process. He's been in mock drafts, either in the late 1st and more often 2nd round. He could also transfer to a higher-profile team to get more NBA buzz for what is generally considered a weaker draft in 2024. Holmes and Duke would make a lot of sense for both sides in the right situation if he decides to play another year in college. Maybe he's waiting on someone else to make a decision (like someone from Duke?). Maybe he's just trying to make the best decision he can. I've seen his name come up a few times on other boards and on social media. He's an impressive player. I think if he does go into the portal, it will be worth watching where he goes.

Here's a person that follows the Dayton basketball program talking about the Holmes-Duke situation. Kind of an open secret at this point that the two sides have talked. It's not clear if Holmes plays in college again.

https://twitter.com/sullymygoodname/...Cz5Y_ghMUtAAAA

With Dayton's departures all but settled and NBA Draft deadline still weeks away (April 13th) - the chatter of Daron Holmes making a move to Duke is picking up real steam, although far from confirmed.

Here's a person that follows the Dayton basketball program talking about the Holmes-Duke situation. Kind of an open secret at this point that the two sides have talked. It's not clear if Holmes plays in college again.

Just saw that to go along with his 22/10 line from the A-10 tournament this season, he averaged 4 blocks as well. Geez.

Led the A-10 in blocked shots (almost 2/game) and also led the conference in dunks.

I know it's the A-10 but...those are some lofty numbers and stats.

It would make a lot of sense for Holmes to enter the portal. I think he's a future pro. He's a slightly undersized big with a game that reminds me of Kerry Blackshear of VT or a bit like Wendell Carter, Jr. He's a big dude with long arms and has a nice touch on his jumper out to 15 feet or so with the occasional 3. He's really tough on opponents around the rim. He is a 2-time A-10 Defensive Team rep and was the A-10 Tournament MVP this season even though Dayton lost to VCU in the title game. Dayton had one of the more disappointing seasons. Holmes had a great year, but the Flyers were ranked in the preseason top 25 but failed to make it to the NCAA Tournament. There are 5 players from the Flyers in the transfer portal right now, including former starters Mustapha Amzil and RJ Blakney. The team is kind of blowing up.

Holmes could go a couple ways. He could and probably should test the NBA Draft process. He's been in mock drafts, either in the late 1st and more often 2nd round. He could also transfer to a higher-profile team to get more NBA buzz for what is generally considered a weaker draft in 2024. Holmes and Duke would make a lot of sense for both sides in the right situation if he decides to play another year in college. Maybe he's waiting on someone else to make a decision (like someone from Duke?). Maybe he's just trying to make the best decision he can. I've seen his name come up a few times on other boards and on social media. He's an impressive player. I think if he does go into the portal, it will be worth watching where he goes.

This all just feels so weird to me. How can Duke have talked to Holmes if he isn't officially in the portal? I know it's a wild west out there with the portal now, but aren't there still rules against communicating with another team's player unless he's in the portal? I know our compliance department is top-notch so I feel like I'm missing some obvious change to the rules here, haha.

This all just feels so weird to me. How can Duke have talked to Holmes if he isn't officially in the portal? I know it's a wild west out there with the portal now, but aren't there still rules against communicating with another team's player unless he's in the portal? I know our compliance department is top-notch so I feel like I'm missing some obvious change to the rules here, haha.
    Yea...feels kinda...hinky. (Sorry, The Fugitive was on TV the other night).

Dusty May the HC at FAU said his players have been contacted/tampered with and they are still playing! Now THAT certainly seems like a violation of some kind of rule.

I imagine that Holmes has "people," (family, former AAU coaches, maybe someone from his high school?) and that those folks have had talks with people at or connected to Duke. It seems shady, but no less shady than anything to do with NIL.

I genuinely feel bad for Dayton. They had a great team with Obi Toppin in 2020 that never got to see how far they could go in the NCAA Tournament. Anthony Grant put together a very talented group of players, including Holmes as the centerpiece. That team beat Miami and Kansas last season in the Battle for Atlantis or whatever preseason tournament it was. They just couldn't put it together this year and now it is all coming apart. It sucks for them. Life, as they say, is all about timing.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Yea...feels kinda...hinky. (Sorry, The Fugitive was on TV the other night).

Dusty May the HC at FAU said his players have been contacted/tampered with and they are still playing! Now THAT certainly seems like a violation of some kind of rule.
    To invoke a terrible Western:

When it comes to the wild west nature of college basketball: there's the quick... and there's the dead.

Having seen a few 2023 Dayton games... oh, boy, that kid would fit verrrrrryyyyy nicely in Durham.

It doesn't have to be the player making contact. It can be a family member or someone like that who reaches out just to gauge interest. And while I doubt Scheyer and company are making initial phone calls to players not in the portal, if Jon's phone rings (or he gets a text) I don't think there is anything wrong with him answering it.

If Holmes comes we are preseason number 1 but I don't think we will get both him and Filip.

For me at least, it depends on who reached out. If the player reached out to the potential destination program, I don't think that's a problem. If the program reached out to the kid, that's more of grey (dark grey, maybe) area, depending on circumstances. I think it's a little different where a program is between coaches and in limbo than if the head coach is in place and secure.

If the program reached out to the kid while they were still playing .... that's really gross.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It doesn't have to be the player making contact. It can be a family member or someone like that who reaches out just to gauge interest. And while I doubt Scheyer and company are making initial phone calls to players not in the portal, if Jon's phone rings (or he gets a text) I don't think there is anything wrong with him answering it.
    Makes sense. Maybe I'm applying the NBA "tampering" perspective to this despite it not being an apples to apples comparison.

Man, it would be nice if the NCAA were competent and the rules for this sort of thing were well established and clear... but that's never gonna happen.