Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
    Just got to the post-game press conference with Scheyer and a few of the players. Was really proud how they all handled it. I'm guessing you won't see the players included in those post-game interviews forever. That's always a difficult thing, and they ask stupid questions, but our guys handled it well.

Quote Originally Posted by hsheffield View Post
    Jay Bilas interview: Duke v Tn was not a basketball game, it was a hockey game and it was officiated like a hockey game. he said he had spoken to several officials and they all agreed that 'that should not have happened that way.'

starts at around 4 minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMPKSZjGB4E
    Thank you, the whole conversation is great. They talked about Coach K as well.
    The Chi Master

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    I havent sifted through all the pages of this thread, but does anyone know what happened to Mark Mitchell? The extent of the injury? Recovery time? Everyone is pissed about the physicality of the game and the way it was called. I agree, but I do give partial credit to the Tennessee defense. But to me the biggest factor in this game was losing Mark all of a sudden. He's a big, tall body and great at defending every position and rebounding. If nothing else, he gives us another big body in a physical war. Not having him forced Whitehead into a less comfortable role, and changed the natural rhythm this team had developed. It was a huge blow in every way for this game. Any info??
    Without Mitchell, Duke would probably not beaten Miami or Virginia in the ACC tournament. He was that important to our success. I too would like to hear more about the nature of his injury.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    Listened to Cowherd's weekend podcast and Bilas was on. Jay said that the TN game was officiated like a hockey game, and a few officials he talked to said they did not know why it was officiated that way. He also said that there were fouls that called that should have been flagrant. While I still think we weren't totally prepared for the pressure, my mind is shifting towards the officiating playing the major factor in our loss.

Sometimes you get those and you have to find a way to win, but I replay the game and see that we had little chance, especially in the second half, with all the hand checking and bumping. There literally was no freedom of movement for the vast majority of the game, and you can't really play basketball that way.
    Even in the famous JJ vs LSU game, or the WV game in 2008, where Duke got manhandled. The refs called 18 foul on LSU and 25 on WV, which means they at least attempted to control the physical nature a little big.

That TN got called for 11 fouls the entire game is just absurd on so many levels, especially when you consider that the fouls were like 5-2 TN about 5 minutes into the game, which means they got called for 6 fouls the remaining 35 minutes of the game. No one who watched that the game can come away believing that remotely reflects the reality on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Seth Greenberg said the same thing yesterday. Or at least he said that they should not be working the sweet 16, and implied the rest.
    Kipp Kissinger

Michael Greenstein

AJ Desai

Remember their names...

A Grip on Sports: If there are too many rock fights, the NCAA’s glass house might come crashing down
    Sun., March 19, 2023

By Vince Grippi
    vincegrippi55@yahoo.com

A GRIP ON SPORTS • We got out of the house yesterday. Took a walk. Cleared the air with some clear air. And then went back inside to watch a few more rock fights.

•••••••

• Love that term. Rock fight. Hate what it connotes. Basketball shouldn’t be so physical. More flow is better. But when teams – we’re looking at you Houston and Auburn – decide to play rugby instead of basketball, the officials have no choice but to blow their whistles. Often. Don’t call it a ref show. Call it doing their job. And blame Kelvin Sampson and Bruce Pearl.

That’s their philosophy. Other have it as well. Foul multiple times on every possession and dare the officials to call them. Coaches who do it this way rarely lose that bet. The NBA has cleaned up its game to a huge degree. It’s time for the NCAA to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    Kipp Kissinger

Michael Greenstein

AJ Desai

Remember their names...
    If Flip comes back and we get Kissinger again (who did the V tech game) I almost wouldn't blame him for sitting out. Kip apparently doesn't know the rules of basketball.

Kipp Kissinger

Michael Greenstein

AJ Desai

Remember their names...
    Which 1st round game did this crew officiate? They must have officiated in the same region.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    It's that time of year where everyone posts to DBR and no one reads it.
    Oh my goodness. Billas’s and the FAU coach’s comments have been quoted about 3 times each.

PLEASE READ THE THREAD PEOPLE!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Kipp Kissinger

Michael Greenstein

AJ Desai

Remember their names...
    Just like Kissinger to screw over Nixon’s alma mater. He always was an evil genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Oh my goodness. Billas’s and the FAU coach’s comments have been quoted about 3 times each.
    That seems appropriate - given that it's the same amount of fouls called on TN in the 2nd half of this debacle. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post

PLEASE READ THE THREAD PEOPLE!
    FWIW, I'd rather read redundant posts than complaints about other posters.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    That seems appropriate - given that it's the same amount of fouls called on TN in the 2nd half of this debacle. Just sayin'
    Good point…
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    FWIW, I'd rather read redundant posts than complaints about other posters.
    Please don’t take my post seriously…..I actually almost posted both of them myself….
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!

man...i'm telling y'all...this thread is gonna turn nasty if they call TN for a bunch of fouls in the next game...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    man...i'm telling y'all...this thread is gonna turn nasty if they call TN for a bunch of fouls in the next game...
    I hope the whole starting team fouls out in the first 10 minutes. Cannot reward a coach for orchestrating that feces on a basketball court.

Was wondering if the consensus on this board is a preference to see Tennessee get whistled non-stop next game, or to see how well FAU can handle the absurd levels of physicality that Duke has to endure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Was wondering if the consensus on this board is a preference to see Tennessee get whistled non-stop next game, or to see how well FAU can handle the absurd levels of physicality that Duke has to endure.
    I think the only chance for having systemic changes made to college basketball would be for more people to see and complain about the type of game TN plays. That means forcing people to watch more games with the same absurd levels of physicality without calling fouls.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

You know that is going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I think the only chance for having systemic changes made to college basketball would be for more people to see and complain about the type of game TN plays. That means forcing people to watch more games with the same absurd levels of physicality without calling fouls.
    I understand that idea. But I suspect more people watched Duke/Tennessee than will watch Tennessee/FAU