Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Good year, but our Freshmen were overwhelmed.
    I think overwhelmed is too strong. They made mistakes, but our freshman, Flip and Proctor in particular, took everything Tennessee had and kept coming. The game was brutally physical and unevenly officiated and we had a very short bench. We could have overcome any one of those things and possibly two, but there wasn’t much more we could have asked of our freshman, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Duke was never going to win a game officiated like this. Tennessee called for 10 total fouls. 3 in 2nd half. That is suboptimal for a young Duke team against a team of grown men. It's how the officials called it.
    I disagree, Duke could have won if they rebounded better. Tennessee got way too many extra shots off of extra shots. And they never made Tennessee feel the loss of their PG. Tennessee was way to efficient on offense in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by kaufmjo View Post
    A lot of excuses in this post. They didn’t have their point guard and brought the physicality and Duke withered under it. Don’t blame refs, injuries and draw seeding. You either win and advance or lose and sit out. We lost. Doesn’t take away from team effort
    The excuses are valid. Are you saying the injury that occurred yesterday to Mark is not a valid excuse that fans can use?

My biggest question for the staff is why did we practice yesterday at all.

I thought we played great defense, but Nkhamuoa was just too hot. He made everything, and we just couldn't buy a bucket. The officiating was erratic but I don't know if it was the difference in the game. I think Tennessee just outplayed us. When you have a guy go 8 for 9 or whatever it was in the 2nd half (against good defense for the most part), you're gonna have a tough time winning, especially if you can't score.

One tough game and season's over. That's how it is. I loved following the team this year and I really hope a couple guys come back. We can do something special next year if we have the right pieces.

The 10 game winning streak was magical. The way Duke played in many of those wins had me convinced Duke had the team to make a final four run this season. The coaching job of Coach Jon Scheyer and staff to make this team elite defensively was impressive. Duke swept UNC-CH and won the ACCT. And 27 games. I’ll take it.

Duke turned it over too much today. Tennessee played bully ball. Flip look concussed. It was evident Coach Rick Barbes had a gameplan to knock the crap out of Flip. Losing Mitchell hurt. Tennessee hit shots from 3. And they took care of the ball.

The tournament tends to expose young teams

The youth caught up to Duke today. Hopefully the guards come back and try to take a run at it next year.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    If they hadn't practiced we would be complaining that they didn't adequately prepare for Tennessee's physicality.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    This! Many folk took it for granted that getting screwed by the committee wouldn't matter. It did.
    Yeah, I think a 3 seed was always a reach, but one can wonder whether playing this game in Greensboro gets us one more 50/50 call that turns the momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by kaufmjo View Post
    A lot of excuses in this post. They didn’t have their point guard and brought the physicality and Duke withered under it. Don’t blame refs, injuries and draw seeding. You either win and advance or lose and sit out. We lost. Doesn’t take away from team effort
    I make no excuses. Tennessee played great and we didn’t play our best ball. But that doesn’t mean that other things didn’t factor into the result too. I think I said that fairly clearly, and I feel like you’re looking for a nit to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I think you nailed it about defensive identity. Not trying to make excuses but that was essentially gone with the loss of Mitchell. What optimism I had for this game was gone with the news at tipoff. Just a tough break for a team that dealt with them much of the season.
    It’s some sad irony that the one guy who was healthy all year (even Kyle had an ankle that almost kept him out of one game) went down in practice in March. It was that kind of year. But again, this team could’ve folded a half dozen times this year and used those injuries as an excuse, and didn’t. They could’ve got the doors blown off them today without Mark and with Jeremy’s foul trouble, but we fought our butts off. That leaves me with a less bitter taste in my mouth than it could’ve been, and optimistic for the future.

Lest we forget, Jon is a 35 year old rookie head coach. Things should go up from here.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Great season, but today was boys against men, hopefully moving away from freshmen dominated teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ns7 View Post
    I disagree, Duke could have won if they rebounded better. Tennessee got way too many extra shots off of extra shots. And they never made Tennessee feel the loss of their PG. Tennessee was way to efficient on offense in the second half.
    Oh Tennessee helped themselves out. Made 3s. Played big on the boards. My point was Duke needed a tightly called game. And didn't get it. Also Roach could have had 6 or 7 fouls. He did foul a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    The excuses are valid. Are you saying the injury that occurred yesterday to Mark is not a valid excuse that fans can use?
    Why would a fan need to use an excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I think overwhelmed is too strong. They made mistakes, but our freshman, Flip and Proctor in particular, took everything Tennessee had and kept coming. The game was brutally physical and unevenly officiated and we had a very short bench. We could have overcome any one of those things and possibly two, but there wasn’t much more we could have asked of our freshman, IMO.
    Everyone was over wrestled even the upper class men.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

I'm not gonna be overly pessimistic here.

I think Scheyers first year was an overwhelming success.

Here's to hoping some guys return for next season to build that continuity we all want

Wanted one more win from this crew to call the season an unquestionable success, but can't complain too much about sweeping Carolina and winning the ACC tournament.

Whether Duke is involved or not I hate watching these kinds of games in the tournament. The NCAA has got to do a better job of enforcing freedom of movement 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spencer View Post
    Great season, but today was boys against men, hopefully moving away from freshmen dominated teams.
    I mean, moving away from freshman dominated teams is a multi-year process.

Not sure I get all the breast-beating about losing Mitchell. Sure, an injury hurts ... but believe me, having seen them all year long, Tennessee is much more hurt by losing Ziegler (it will, in all probability, keep them from seriously contending for the championship). It's all part of the game. Each team needed to impose stifling defensive pressure in this game, and the Vols were just better at it.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    I'm not gonna be overly pessimistic here.

I think Scheyers first year was an overwhelming success.

Here's to hoping some guys return for next season to build that continuity we all want
    Good on ya, sir. Can’t spork, but hope someone will for me.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Because if they didn't the complaint would be that they were unprepared, come on.

All the credit to Tennessee. But I can't decide if I'm going to be more pissed at the selection committee for openly admitting they didn't factor the last couple of games to give us the #5 KenPom team in the second round, and with the refs who let an SEC team play football. Por que no los dos?

I'm just hoping we see more than Ryan of our top 8 back next year. It's really tough to grow to love an entirely new set of guys each year. The fact that every program faces this now with the portal is little solace.

I can’t hardly see how you can discuss this game without discussing the officiating. I have my problems with ACC officials at times, but this game looks so incredibly different if played in the ACC tourney. It’s just not the same game