Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It may seem like a while ago, but there were players and teams that just opted out in 2020-21. The entire Ivy League did not play. A couple MEAC teams did not play. There were several other teams that only played a handful of games before ending their seasons. It was a very messed-up year and the NCAA did the right thing in awarding those players another shot at having a full season.
    The Duke women played four games, then opted out with the support of the coaching staff and administration.

No inside info but I would put Proctor and Mitchell at 50/50, not probably returning.

I will say that if both come back, it will have a huge positive impact on the team. Both are outstanding defenders and are developing very good offensive identities.

I guess we are filling time until Thursday while unc fans are filling time until next October.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread here is unc's roster for next year (excluding the 500 walk-ons that they have on the bench).

Bacot
    Davis
    Love
    Dunn
    Styles
    Johnson
    Trimble
    Shaver
    Washington
    Wilcher (new recruit)
    High (new recruit)

Nickel and McKoy leaving opened up 2 scholarships.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    The question was who went from not being in the rotation at all to starting the next year.
    Seems like Jack fits then

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...k-white-1.html

D46FCB5D-9261-490A-8658-665F38AA6DCF.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I guess we are filling time until Thursday while unc fans are filling time until next October.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread here is unc's roster for next year (excluding the 500 walk-ons that they have on the bench).

Bacot
    Davis
    Love
    Dunn
    Styles
    Johnson
    Trimble
    Shaver
    Washington
    Wilcher (new recruit)
    High (new recruit)

They have only 2 recruits coming in? Wow, could they be headed for second division next year?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post

Bacot
    Davis
    Love
    Dunn
    Styles
    Johnson
    Trimble
    Shaver
    Washington
    Wilcher (new recruit)
    High (new recruit)

I assume Love is gone, so they will have 3 scholarships open. The gaping holes are at the 3 and 4 with questions at the 2 and backup 5. If and when they land a transfer portal player for those positions, why would Styles, Johnson, or Washington want to stick around? Davis hasn't played these guys in 2 years. An impact transfer is unlikely to want a bench role.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    They have only 2 recruits coming in? Wow, could they be headed for second division next year?
    We need relegation and promotion with the Southern Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    See the title of this thread for why I expect Carolina to still be a pretty decent club next season.

Additionally, they have some really impressive (OAD quality) recruits in the class of 2024 and there has been more than a little talk that one or both of Ian Johnson or Elliot Cadeau will reclassify and come early next season. Johnson is the one who makes more sense as he has the size and skill set to play on the wing. Cadeau, who is primarily a PG, likely overlaps too much with RJ Davis to make a reclass make a lot of sense.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

See the title of this thread for why I expect Carolina to still be a pretty decent club next season.

Additionally, they have some really impressive (OAD quality) recruits in the class of 2024 and there has been more than a little talk that one or both of Ian Johnson or Elliot Cadeau will reclassify and come early next season. Johnson is the one who makes more sense as he has the size and skill set to play on the wing. Cadeau, who is primarily a PG, likely overlaps too much with RJ Davis to make a reclass make a lot of sense.
    I sadly agree. Unless Hubris ends up like Doh! and wholly loses control of the team long-term, UNC will reload and may not be down that long. There is plenty of prestige in playing there, and I am sure the NIL money is strong.

I honestly think Roach Comes back next year, he would make more at Duke from NIL then playing in the D League, what other option does he have? I think if Flip and Lively both leave then duke will go after a Center transfer to come in and start. Reeves probally won't be ready to start until his Junior year. I also wouldn't mind Duke going small next year to stretch the floor. They could throw out a lineup that looks like this.

1. Proctor if he leaves Mccain
    2. Foster
    3. TJ Power I think hes going to be good like a Dickey for Kansas this year.
    4. Mitchel if he leaves then Sean Stewart
    5. Mgbako

A lineup like this would put 5 shooters on the floor. You can have Reeves and Young come off the bench. Not sure how much of a shooter Stewart is but I don't think he attempted many shots.

I know this thread has turned into a "future of the Tarheels" discussion but to get us back on point...

JJ Starling of Notre Dame has entered the portal. He was one of the highest rated recruits of Mike Brey's career and many thought he might be OAD. Had an up and down freshman campaign, didn't shoot as well as had been expected, but this is not about playing time for a kid who averaged close to 30 minutes per game.

He instantly becomes one of the top names in the portal.

Starling was very involved with several ACC schools when he was a high school recruit including both Duke and Syracuse. Would not be shocking to see him find another ACC program.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/st...83424922714115
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JGDUKE2008 View Post
    I honestly think Roach Comes back next year, he would make more at Duke from NIL then playing in the D League, what other option does he have? I think if Flip and Lively both leave then duke will go after a Center transfer to come in and start. Reeves probally won't be ready to start until his Junior year. I also wouldn't mind Duke going small next year to stretch the floor. They could throw out a lineup that looks like this.

1. Proctor if he leaves Mccain
    2. Foster
    3. TJ Power I think hes going to be good like a Dickey for Kansas this year.
    4. Mitchel if he leaves then Sean Stewart
    5. Mgbako

A lineup like this would put 5 shooters on the floor. You can have Reeves and Young come off the bench. Not sure how much of a shooter Stewart is but I don't think he attempted many shots.
    The rebounding and rim protection would be among the worst in Duke history. This lineup is not happening.

Oh, and Sean Stewart would be the 5 in this fantasy world, not Mgbako.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Matt Jones
    Ryan Kelly

It doesn’t happen all that often though.
    Yeah Matt was the first to come to mind. He did average 7 mins per game as a freshman though. I can't remember anyone who just played mop up duty play real minutes as a Sophmore though.

The rebounding and rim protection would be among the worst in Duke history. This lineup is not happening.

Oh, and Sean Stewart would be the 5 in this fantasy world, not Mgbako.
    JE (or anyone for that matter), speaking of Mgbako, who does his game most emulate or remind you of? Admittedly, I havent seen a ton of film on him. Just trying to gauge what he's going to bring for us next season.

I am hoping against hope that 2 of Flip/Proctor/Mitchell return, but as we continue to improve and play much better, those hopes may be slowly fading. Then again, we have plenty of time to discuss that in the offseason. There's a ride through March Madness we are about to enjoy, hopefully!

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    JE (or anyone for that matter), speaking of Mgbako, who does his game most emulate or remind you of? Admittedly, I havent seen a ton of film on him. Just trying to gauge what he's going to bring for us next season.

I am hoping against hope that 2 of Flip/Proctor/Mitchell return, but as we continue to improve and play much better, those hopes may be slowly fading. Then again, we have plenty of time to discuss that in the offseason. There's a ride through March Madness we are about to enjoy, hopefully!
    Almost impossible not to compare him to Tatum. A 6-8 shot-maker with tremendous skills. Has the athleticism to get into the lane and finish in traffic, but also has really nice perimeter skills including a good (and rapidly improving) 3-point shot. MM has spoken about wanting to model his game on Tatum and they have been seen working out together.

I know this thread has turned into a "future of the Tarheels" discussion but to get us back on point...

JJ Starling of Notre Dame has entered the portal. He was one of the highest rated recruits of Mike Brey's career and many thought he might be OAD. Had an up and down freshman campaign, didn't shoot as well as had been expected, but this is not about playing time for a kid who averaged close to 30 minutes per game.

He instantly becomes one of the top names in the portal.

Starling was very involved with several ACC schools when he was a high school recruit including both Duke and Syracuse. Would not be shocking to see him find another ACC program.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/st...83424922714115
    247 already has him transferring to Syracuse. 100%
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    247 already has him transferring to Syracuse. 100%
    He is from very close to Syracuse. Nice way to start things out for Autry.

Almost impossible not to compare him to Tatum. A 6-8 shot-maker with tremendous skills. Has the athleticism to get into the lane and finish in traffic, but also has really nice perimeter skills including a good (and rapidly improving) 3-point shot. MM has spoken about wanting to model his game on Tatum and they have been seen working out together.
    I see Glen Rice (Sr) but that might be too old of a reference for some here.

Wow. That is incredibly high-praise and so great to see Tatum working out with MM. Cant wait to see him in a Duke uniform. Slashing ability and the ability to finish around the rim in traffic, coupled with Foster and McCain...and hopefully 2 of Proctor/Mitchell/Flip. Would be the absolute makings of a top 10 team.

Transfer portal should not be open until after the tournament.